Woodworking

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure how you're going to use that without accidentally braining someone, but nice work!

It's actually kind of easy, It does weigh close to 8-10 pounds I'd guess, because you can feel the heft. Supposed to hold 2lbs of pepper as well. If you hold it at the sort of oval shape about midway, it makes it easy.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I've got a good sized black walnut in my back yard that needs to go. Aside from the gigantic mess it makes every other fall fruiting, it's killing my tomato plants every summer and I've just about had it with that. I've got a passable shop in the garage, but I've got much bigger things to worry about these days than black walnut furniture or something. Anyone got any idea if it's worth bothering trying to get rid of to woodworkers, or should I just fell it and stack it for firewood or something?
How big is it (diameter, length of main trunk) and what area are you in (generally)?

This is the kind of thing I'm in for :)

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
How big is it (diameter, length of main trunk) and what area are you in (generally)?

This is the kind of thing I'm in for :)

Minnesota.

My guess is it's about 40 years old, because that's how old the house is, and there's 2 on my lot and not many in the neighborhood. So 35-40 would be my guess. So it's not super huge...I don't have accurate measurements though since it's down the hill from the house, so the perspective is a bit skewed. I'll see if I can remember to get out there with a tape and check it out.

I'm leaning towards just turning it into firewood...just not sure if I have the skills to fell something like that safely.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Minnesota.

My guess is it's about 40 years old, because that's how old the house is, and there's 2 on my lot and not many in the neighborhood. So 35-40 would be my guess. So it's not super huge...I don't have accurate measurements though since it's down the hill from the house, so the perspective is a bit skewed. I'll see if I can remember to get out there with a tape and check it out.

I'm leaning towards just turning it into firewood...just not sure if I have the skills to fell something like that safely.
Oh I'm not even close by. However, it would be worth it to a woodworker. To give you an idea -

If it was 18" diameter and 30 feet long of usable trunk. You could get 300-500 board feet of lumber. At retail by me, walnut is $7 ish per board foot. Wholesale about $4. So this would be worth $1200-1500. Theres some labor in milling, and some waste so $1k is a good number, but it'd be a shame to make it firewood if its living and relatively straight. If I weren't 1000 miles away I 'd clean that up for you :)

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Oh I'm not even close by. However, it would be worth it to a woodworker. To give you an idea -

If it was 18" diameter and 30 feet long of usable trunk. You could get 300-500 board feet of lumber. At retail by me, walnut is $7 ish per board foot. Wholesale about $4. So this would be worth $1200-1500. Theres some labor in milling, and some waste so $1k is a good number, but it'd be a shame to make it firewood if its living and relatively straight. If I weren't 1000 miles away I 'd clean that up for you :)

Yeah, I don't think those estimates are far off, and it's got a nice straight trunk until pretty far off the ground. The lowest branches are way outta my reach.

And yeah, I'd keep it until it got fucking huge and make something cool out of it...but it just rapes my tomatoes every year and we finally figured out why. Planted and potted and new soil and we get a couple off each plant and then they wilt and die mid June. Just ain't worth it. Thing has to go.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
When you knock them down, you should cut some into lengths equal to the diameter. Like 18-24". You can put some on ebay for bowl blanks for wood turners. Probably get $25-40 each

Do NOT mulch the branches and use it for garden mulch or animal bedding. It has a chemical calked Juglone that kills certain plants (tomatoes are highly susceptible). Animals like horses can become lame or get foot diseases if they bed in it.

Also, it is present in the roots and will leech into the soil. You'll need to get the stumps pulled (not ground!). After they are excavated it will take 2-6 months for the juglone in the soil to oxidize and lose its toxicity.

Are you sure you dont want to just move your tomatoes? Sounds much cheaper :)

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
When you knock them down, you should cut some into lengths equal to the diameter. Like 18-24". You can put some on ebay for bowl blanks for wood turners. Probably get $25-40 each

Do NOT mulch the branches and use it for garden mulch or animal bedding. It has a chemical calked Juglone that kills certain plants (tomatoes are highly susceptible). Animals like horses can become lame or get foot diseases if they bed in it.

Also, it is present in the roots and will leech into the soil. You'll need to get the stumps pulled (not ground!). After they are excavated it will take 2-6 months for the juglone in the soil to oxidize and lose its toxicity.

Are you sure you dont want to just move your tomatoes? Sounds much cheaper :)

I have a lot that's almost an acre. The trees are downhill from the garden. We've tried raised beds and potted.

The tip off was actually the pots, that's how we knew it's not a fungus or something in the soil.bThe tree emits juglone from every part of it...so it just drifts and covers the entire yard. Takes a few months, and then it just kills the plants.

So, unless I wanna move my tomatoes across the street...no, I don't have many options.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I have a lot that's almost an acre. The trees are downhill from the garden. We've tried raised beds and potted.

The tip off was actually the pots, that's how we knew it's not a fungus or something in the soil.bThe tree emits juglone from every part of it...so it just drifts and covers the entire yard. Takes a few months, and then it just kills the plants.

So, unless I wanna move my tomatoes across the street...no, I don't have many options.
I feel you. Home grown tomatoes are the win. Good luck. I wish you many pots of marinara, plates of caprese salad, and fat slabs of beefsteak to top your burgers!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this cutting board is barely 3 months old
179fe2d2decc3b6763f789a452003886.png

it started bowing, and last night it bowed so much it split with a 6inch gap (now it's not bowyed no more)

i've ordered another cutting board, this time to prevent possible bowing an endgrain 2inch thicc boy acacia one.

anyway, it looks like a waste to throw this out, it'd make a nice charcuterie board.

can i find some woodsafe glue, mix it with sawdust and just pack in the seem? it looks like the split is only 2mm at the largest gap.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
barely 3 months old... and last night it bowed so much it split with a 6inch gap

If it split badly over that period of time, it's probably because you didn't oil it and then let water soak in to only one side during washing, which will cause the top face to expand. Even a cutting board made from totally green wood won't warp that badly that fast. Long grain cutting boards do require some small amount of care and maintenance.

To repair, I'd finish opening the split, handplane the exposed edges square and parallel, and reglue. Packing the open crack with filler will fail again and I doubt the surface is clean enough after use to get good glue adhesion anyway.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If it split badly over that period of time, it's probably because you didn't oil it and then let water soak in to only one side during washing, which will cause the top face to expand. Even a cutting board made from totally green wood won't warp that badly that fast. Long grain cutting boards do require some small amount of care and maintenance.

To repair, I'd finish opening the split, handplane the faces square and parallel, and reglue. Packing with filler will fail again and I doubt the surface is clean enough after use to get good glue adhesion anyway.
b4 i put a machette down the middle, what would be best option?

Captain Suave

b4 i put a machette down the middle, what would be best option?
Being very sensitive to splitting the wood itself, I'd warm the joint with a heat gun or hair dryer and then gently and slowly pry it open with the thinnest knife/scraper/etc. I had that didn't feel like it was going to break. Most modern wood glues start to lose adhesion above 120-130 F or so.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Being very sensitive to splitting the wood itself, I'd warm the joint with a heat gun or hair dryer and then gently and slowly pry it open with the thinnest knife/scraper/etc. I had that didn't feel like it was going to break. Most modern wood glues start to lose adhesion above 120-130 F or so.
oh yea i have a few scrappers and putty knives and a heat gun... man

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
this cutting board is barely 3 months old
179fe2d2decc3b6763f789a452003886.png

it started bowing, and last night it bowed so much it split with a 6inch gap (now it's not bowyed no more)

i've ordered another cutting board, this time to prevent possible bowing an endgrain 2inch thicc boy acacia one.

anyway, it looks like a waste to throw this out, it'd make a nice charcuterie board.

can i find some woodsafe glue, mix it with sawdust and just pack in the seem? it looks like the split is only 2mm at the largest gap.

Definitely buy some Butcher Block oil for your next one, Lowes or Home Depot sells it

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
oh yea i have a few scrappers and putty knives and a heat gun... man

Put it in the oven at 170 degrees for about 5 minutes and see if you can pull it apart. Otherwise you could just cut it down the split with a table saw or circular saw. That might even lessen the amount you have to plane off before regluing it. Also make sure you have adequate clamps.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
You guys talking about this black walnut tree makes me wonder if I should find someone who'd want the American chestnut tree I got. Its like a 14" trunk. But it's caught the blight and a goner now.

Captain Suave

non toxic fda approved, this glue good enough? i got elmers atm
Any non-water soluble wood glue is fine, really. (Don't use hide glue.) Even with the ones that aren't explicitly food safe, it's not like you're going to be gnawing on the cutting board.