Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Nothing that I can think of. A lot of that stuff is 3-4" across, but only the Heartwood is black. So really, you couldn't even get a 2x2 out of it, and that's just not worth trying to square up.

I have a lot of 5-6" stuff I'm gonna cut my teeth on milling though.

....and the tree isn't even down yet!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Some of the stuff too small for lumber but big enough to split for firewood.View attachment 354236
NICE! Just bought a Hasqvarna 460 Rancher chainsaw to make my own lumber for bike jumps, will be carving up Southern Yellow Pine mostly. There is a ton of huge Gumball trees around though, might give those a go. We going to try the jig route first but likely just make an alaskan mill.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
NICE! Just bought a Hasqvarna 460 Rancher chainsaw to make my own lumber for bike jumps, will be carving up Southern Yellow Pine mostly. There is a ton of huge Gumball trees around though, might give those a go. We going to try the jig route first but likely just make an alaskan mill.

The weird thing is that as I'm splitting it, I actually feel kinda bad for taking down such a beautiful tree.

The problem is that when it's alive, it's not beautiful, it dumps walnuts I can't really use all over my yard and kills all my vegetables.

So it really has to go....I just feel bad about it. And the best way to aleviate that feeling is to do something productive with it. So, I won't have to buy firewood next year, and I should be able to make some awesome heirloom furniture for my kids.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The weird thing is that as I'm splitting it, I actually feel kinda bad for taking down such a beautiful tree.

The problem is that when it's alive, it's not beautiful, it dumps walnuts I can't really use all over my yard and kills all my vegetables.

So it really has to go....I just feel bad about it. And the best way to aleviate that feeling is to do something productive with it. So, I won't have to buy firewood next year, and I should be able to make some awesome heirloom furniture for my kids.
Yeah we going to chop up the fallen stuff before we cut anything standing, even then we going to harvest trees that split fairly low etc. Crazy how tall some of the pines are out there, just one would give us enough lumber for weeks of construction.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Contemplating picking up the Grizzly G0939 (13" 2 HP Benchtop Planer at Grizzly.com) since it is on sale for $150 off. Makes it cheaper than the standard go to Dewalt DW735 or DW734. Helical version is on sale also (13" 2 HP Benchtop Planer With Helical Cutterhead at Grizzly.com) but it is $300 more, which seems like what you'd pay to upgrade one of the Dewalts to a helical. There also a difference in the table, 939 is stainless whereas the 940 is granite.

Of course still not 100% on what the shop set up will be like at whatever house I find to buy. But felt a tabletop version I could build a flip cart around would be a safe pickup and with the sale going on seemed like an okay risk?

Going this rate seems more economical than paying for the combo Jointer/Planar, especially since Grizzly just upped the price on them by like $400 and they aren't in stock.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Contemplating picking up the Grizzly G0939 (13" 2 HP Benchtop Planer at Grizzly.com) since it is on sale for $150 off. Makes it cheaper than the standard go to Dewalt DW735 or DW734. Helical version is on sale also (13" 2 HP Benchtop Planer With Helical Cutterhead at Grizzly.com) but it is $300 more, which seems like what you'd pay to upgrade one of the Dewalts to a helical. There also a difference in the table, 939 is stainless whereas the 940 is granite.

Of course still not 100% on what the shop set up will be like at whatever house I find to buy. But felt a tabletop version I could build a flip cart around would be a safe pickup and with the sale going on seemed like an okay risk?

Going this rate seems more economical than paying for the combo Jointer/Planar, especially since Grizzly just upped the price on them by like $400 and they aren't in stock.
Ungggg I've gone to home depot 4 times in the past month to look at planers and table routers. I keep going there and walking out empty handed

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ungggg I've gone to home depot 4 times in the past month to look at planers and table routers. I keep going there and walking out empty handed

Depending on what you're doing I'd absolutely recommend the Kobalt combo at Lowes (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Fixed-Corded-Router-with-Table-Included/1000318615). $170 for the Router + Table and you can usually find it on sale for $150. An absolute steal in my opinion. Mine has worked like a champ. Just used it to surface both sides of this hickory table top and have used it to do the same thing to other tops... kind of hence why I'm more interested in planers (not really drum sanders at the moment).

It isn't variable speed and has no dust collection to speak of, but again for $150 I couldn't be more happy.

And disregard my slapped together surfacing jig. My actual one is on the floor behind the workbench but it is only 21" wide and this was 24" and almost everything is already packed and in storage so had to throw something together quick. It worked and I'm happy, it isn't 100% heh.

kobalt.jpeg
kobalt 2.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

I have the 735 which I love, but I definitely looked at the grizzly before I got it on sale, Griz are decent machines, just a little less polish. And that one has a blower which is nice

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Depending on what you're doing I'd absolutely recommend the Kobalt combo at Lowes (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Fixed-Corded-Router-with-Table-Included/1000318615). $170 for the Router + Table and you can usually find it on sale for $150. An absolute steal in my opinion. Mine has worked like a champ. Just used it to surface both sides of this hickory table top and have used it to do the same thing to other tops... kind of hence why I'm more interested in planers (not really drum sanders at the moment).

It isn't variable speed and has no dust collection to speak of, but again for $150 I couldn't be more happy.

And disregard my slapped together surfacing jig. My actual one is on the floor behind the workbench but it is only 21" wide and this was 24" and almost everything is already packed and in storage so had to throw something together quick. It worked and I'm happy, it isn't 100% heh.

View attachment 355346View attachment 355348
I keep talking myself out of it because I think "well, I'm not making money with this stuff yet....I can get by until I do"

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My drill press and horizontal/vertical band saw are Shop Fox, which is the same company that makes Grizzly and in some cases the machines are identical except for the paint and stickers. Shop Fox is painted to look like Jet tools, but if you compare them, everything about the Jet is better except the price. That said, I've had my stuff for close to 10 years and it still works although both tools are kind of on their last legs. I don't use them every day, but I use them a fair amount and mostly on metal so they've worked pretty hard. It's definitely not top of the line shit, but they are affordable and they get the job done. Wouldn't recommend them for daily use, but if you're a hobbyist it will probably be fine. I would love to replace them with the actual Jet tools that they are knockoffs of but haven't wanted to spend the money so far.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
For what it's worth, I own a number of higher end grizzly tools: a 5hp cabinet saw, a 19" heavy duty bandsaw, a 12" helical jointer, and a 20" 5hp helical planer. Oh and a floor standing drill press. All of them are built like tanks, but the tolerances aren't perfect. With some fettling I was able to tune them all for accuracy, though. Their customer service is great and they have knowledgeable technical support.

After spending like $8k with them 6 years ago to upgrade my shop, my only regret is they are made in China. I am a moderately heavy user.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to their hobby/light consumer grade machines.

Also, no matter what size planer you get, helical takes more energy but is quieter and produces a better finish. It also lasts ssooooooo much longer.

Sharpening and changing the knives on a standard planer head is awful. If you can afford helical/spiral carbide cutter, get it and don't look back

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
A big part of why I want one is to run through 1/8 in boards with epoxy infill. Will both types of planers work fine on epoxy?

whoo

<Silver Donator>
A big part of why I want one is to run through 1/8 in boards with epoxy infill. Will both types of planers work fine on epoxy?
Yes both will work. For thin stock like that, youll want to make a planer sled to make sure theres enough rigidity under the piece as it goes through. There's a lot of videos on youtube about planer sleds if youre not aware. Its a simple jig.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yes both will work. For thin stock like that, youll want to make a planer sled to make sure theres enough rigidity under the piece as it goes through. There's a lot of videos on youtube about planer sleds if youre not aware. Its a simple jig.
Thanks Owl.

I slapped this together really quick to see how the idea would look before spending a bunch of time trying to design a tabletop.

I'll glue these together and then fill the void with some epoxy + black & silver mica powder

1621967409102.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I went the cheaper route and got this thing from harbor freight, figuring I'll replace it with a nicer one if I use it enough to justify it.

Where the hell am I supposed to put feather boards on top to keep it pressed against the table? The fence is plastic and I don't have enough room to clamp one on myself. Before I come up with my own hillbilly solution, am I just missing something?

I ordered a few that fit in the slot on the bed, but didn't see a spot for any on the fence.

image_11940.jpg

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Where the hell am I supposed to put feather boards on top to keep it pressed against the table? I went the cheaper route and got this thing from harbor freight
Well, you did buy a router table with a plastic fence. That said, you can always use push sticks/pads to keep the work on the table or bolt on an auxiliary wooden fence to give yourself something to clamp to.

• 1Like