Woodworking

Goatface

i had a green one sorta like that, after about 3 years the heat warped it so bad the door fell off.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
so this amazon saw took like 10minutes cutting through a 4x4

i admit, i havent use a saw since getting my tottin n chip card, but at least i know how to use it.
Fuuuuuuck that. I didn’t open the link to the saw you used but I’m guessing it has a high tpi count and shallow teeth?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fuuuuuuck that. I didn’t open the link to the saw you used but I’m guessing it has a high tpi count and shallow teeth?
one side 7, one side 12

well it turns out to be a free saw since even amazon don't want this thing back

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The clamp in the vise may be one of the more mind blowing things I've seen...

Sellars has a very distinct system of workholding. I tried it for a bit and wasn't totally in love, but it obviously functions for him. I've got a better main vise now; maybe I should give some of these ideas another spin.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need to find a way to get back in my shop. There’s been so much personal stuff going on recently that I’ve avoided going out there because my presence has to be almost constant in the house, but also going out there is a means of escaping from the house. But it just feels like dragging all the negativity in to a space that is supposed to be relaxing and reflective. I don’t want that association with a hobby that I love so I avoid moving forward on any projects.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I need to find a way to get back in my shop. There’s been so much personal stuff going on recently that I’ve avoided going out there because my presence has to be almost constant in the house, but also going out there is a means of escaping from the house. But it just feels like dragging all the negativity in to a space that is supposed to be relaxing and reflective. I don’t want that association with a hobby that I love so I avoid moving forward on any projects.
That happens to me often enough. I always put "Fury" on the TV in the garage when I'm in a pissy mood and want to work out there.
1636562062395.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

A good series on import tools for the budget-conscious. Spend as you see fit.

• 2Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
If you follow Paul Sellers program from the beginning (starting with his English style workbench) and use mostly, if not all, hand tools, you may find it very cathartic. He has a series of projects that build skills with just a few hand tools that can change the way you see/do woodworking.

Hand tool woodworking can be an absolute joy for all of the senses except taste. The only thing is you have to enjoy the process, not just the end result. It will take longer until you get good, but it's amazing what you can do without power tools. And how much you can think and/or be sensitive to the work when you don't have 80 decibels of motors and blades going all the time. Good luck. I hope you find the balance you are looking for. 👍

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Anyone know much about vintage power tools? A guy near me is selling a ~1980 Delta Model 14 bandsaw in good condition for $375. Some quick research says that's a more or less fair price. Anyone use one of these?

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Anyone know much about vintage power tools? A guy near me is selling a ~1980 Delta Model 14 bandsaw in good condition for $375. Some quick research says that's a more or less fair price. Anyone use one of these?
If you need a bandsaw of that size, and it's in good working condition, that is a reasonable price. Make sure theres no deep rust pitting on the table (light rust can be sanded off/derusted.), check for cracks or repair welds in the riser casting, which might be hard to see under paint.make sure all the adjustment knobs/levers work.

Otherwise, turn it on. If it runs smoothly without much vibration or scratchy /squealy noises, youre probably fine. Let it run for 5 mins and see if the motor sparks or gets really hot. If it passes all that, go for it. 👍

Delta made good quality tools and you can still find parts. There were a lot made.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Delta made good quality tools

Ended up buying the saw. It had been owned only by this guy and his dad, and they had looked after it very carefully. Everything was in fantastic condition with only the smallest amount of superficial rust and dirt. New belt, blade, cooling blocks and wiring. Ran super smooth.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love old tools. 90% of the new shit is not as good as the old stuff. It's what we deserve for always buying the cheapest one.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone have a CNC router? I want to see what a simple topo would look like and I'm hoping I could just send someone a file to run through the CNC and send back to me. I have monies.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Rockler had some decent BF savings on fittings so ordered a couple last week. Good timing on the video. My current run is set up super janky just to get it to the table saw and swap to planer.

Still haven’t been able to get out to do any work. Was finally able to spend a couple of hours outside of the house with some friend’s and they asked me if I’d be interested in building a liquor cabinet. Could be my first commissioned work with my new LLC 🤪

• 1Wow!
  • 1Like