Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Let me ask the class a question. I'm consuming tons of YouTube videos and magazine articles but thought I'd toss it out there for input.

Putting together my SketchUp for the coffee table. The table itself is 48" x 24" with a small shelf running down the middle.

Struggling with my decision on attaching the legs. I like the idea of not having an apron and in this picture I was trying to see about running a brace along the bottom and attaching the legs to it. Also toying with the angle of the legs (this picture is 9 degree but it is a strange orientation). Mount the brace to the underside to allow for expansion of the table and attach the legs via a mortise and tenon or some other method, tbd.

Rails on the bottom supporting the lower shelf would be M&T.

Anyways, any thoughts on leg attachment? I think they'll be angled both out and forward / back (splayed and raked?) or just splayed...

1634257240546.png

1634257270608.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
How are you planning to fasten the top? If it's any kind of floating clip or anthing I'd worry about the frame racking along the length.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How are you planning to fasten the top? If it's any kind of floating clip or anthing I'd worry about the frame racking along the length.

Yeah I wondered that too and how much support the lower shelf would provide instead of a runner down the middle of the table. I can always run one and it isn't like you'd be able to see it. I could probably do an apron and pull the legs in and for all intents and purposes you wouldn't be able to see it. I mean it is only a 20" tall coffee table.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah I wondered that too and how much support the lower shelf would provide instead of a runner down the middle of the table. I can always run one and it isn't like you'd be able to see it. I could probably do an apron and pull the legs in and for all intents and purposes you wouldn't be able to see it. I mean it is only a 20" tall coffee table.
If you like that profile I'm sure you could run a simple half-lapped center brace under the top and under the shelf. That would be plenty strong, and as you say no one would see it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about finalizing on something like this. Experimenting with a 9 degree chamfer around the top of the table to match the 9 degree angle of the legs. Added the half lap. I'll probably either use counterbore holes or figure eights to attach the base to the table top. Was thinking about using pegs or something like wood L-brackets, but meh. I'll be lucky to get as far as I can.

1634392458776.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am not a good woodworker but I built a step stool for my nephew sort of like that and the angled mortise and tenon joints drove me frickin crazy.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
watching wood builds i see that i don't have a jap pull saw (i only have a flat trim saw) so i look and this was recommended
8dcd8afa2eb733f8e74f72ec1135b948.png

wow, amazon will sell anything now, huh

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not that specific one but I do have one of the other more generic ones that I like which was only $20 or so. Can’t justify one of the real nice ones bc in my hands it might as well be a baseball bat.

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
watching wood builds i see that i don't have a jap pull saw (i only have a flat trim saw) so i look and this was recommended
8dcd8afa2eb733f8e74f72ec1135b948.png

wow, amazon will sell anything now, huh
How many antifa will it cut through before needing to have the blade replaced?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i'll tell you when i get it friday by testing it out on a 4x4
so this amazon saw took like 10minutes cutting through a 4x4

i admit, i havent use a saw since getting my tottin n chip card, but at least i know how to use it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Spent the weekend testing out doing mortise and tenon by hand on some scraps. Even over just the 4 tests that I did the difference was crazy. Tried the first one out by starting the mortise with drill press and then chiseling out the rest. Did not immediately like that so did the next all by hand. Felt like I had more control start to finish without having to position the chisel against just the small areas left by the forstner bit. Did get a bit of a headache with the constant hitting of the hammer on chisel though. Need to do a few more practice runs while the maple is gluing up for the table top and the legs, but I'm reasonably confident in the ability to do these without ruining the whole thing...

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Crosscut or lengthwise? lol
whats silly is it was for a new mailbox i'm putting in and i bought a vinyl slip cover and it's like half inch too tall (there is a half in gap at the bottom.

so i can either build up the base with a bag of mulch or just take the circular blade to it and be done in 10seconds.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
1. Why are you covering your mailbox?
2. Whether using hand saws or machines, don't breathe in dust from pressure treated lumber.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
1. Why are you covering your mailbox?
2. Whether using hand saws or machines, don't breathe in dust from pressure treated lumber.
it was on sale and looks pretty nice compared to your basic mailbox and post
5e7a404d4f9ae6141a3ef46238c0649e.png

whoo

<Silver Donator>
it was on sale and looks pretty nice compared to your basic mailbox and post
5e7a404d4f9ae6141a3ef46238c0649e.png
Sure, its nice. But does everyone in your neighborhood cover their mailboxes in vinyl? How does the mailman deliver if your mailbox has a cover draped over it?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Sure, its nice. But does everyone in your neighborhood cover their mailboxes in vinyl? How does the mailman deliver if your mailbox has a cover draped over it?
it's just post thats being covered, it's just a vinyl sleeve

• 1Like