Woodworking

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I liked Sellers’ video on setting up hand planes. With a combo Trend Diamond stone and some window cleaner I’ve gotten comfortable keeping it sharp and working. You can really feel the cut and board when they’re working together. And feel it when you get a nice even thin shaving that you’ve flattened out that part. I only use a Stanley #4 still and haven’t branched out to any of the others. Wouldn’t mind a scrub plane with a little more oomph to get larger tables worked out.

*edit: Half typed that on my phone, sat it down, cooked dinner came back, forgot what I typed.... Think I was going to include something about picking up the Wood River next time I'm visiting Birmingham since there's a local shop. But now can't remember where the whole train of thought was headed! Oh well, haha!

Oh, I did find a local hardwood spot that is about 10 minutes away from my house. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays 9 am- 12pm. So a tight window to go get stuff :)

I walked in on Saturday and it looked EXACTLY like this picture. Just a bunch of old dudes sitting around drinking coffee and eating donuts. Talked to them for longer than picking out any red oak. Was really cool and I'll definitely be back. Was also crawling with customers since the window is so tight to get in and get what you need. Check or Cash only.

1648085290696.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Good way to build your grain reading skills :) where did you find that wood? Mirkwood forest? 👻 🎄 👻
Lol, its literally the scrap pine from my neighbor's remodel. The stuff the carpenter threw out.

Edit- and I picked the worst 2x out of those to try out the dowel jig and planer for the first time. Wasn't thinking about the knots & planer though

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Speaking of planes, Paul Sellers has put together a kit for a router plane. At $46 it compares favorably to all but the most bare-bones DIY versions. Temporarily out of stock, but should refresh in a month.

Link has instructions and parts list to make your own if that's your jam.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Where can I just buy a 24in round tabletop? I think it's going to take me too long to learn how to do it the way I want, so I think I'm just going to buy one and then use a hand router for the contour inlay on this project for my coworker

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Where can I just buy a 24in round tabletop? I think it's going to take me too long to learn how to do it the way I want, so I think I'm just going to buy one and then use a hand router for the contour inlay on this project for my coworker
Googling "24" round table top" gave me at least 15 online options. Should be easy enough to find.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Googling "24" round table top" gave me at least 15 online options. Should be easy enough to find.
I found plenty as well, just figured I'd get better opinions here. I'll order one tomorrow morning if I don't see anything better here.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Oh, sorry I don't really have an opinion if you're not going to make it yourself. Maybe stick to an unfinished hardwood so you don't have to strip/sand it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of planes, Paul Sellers has put together a kit for a router plane. At $46 it compares favorably to all but the most bare-bones DIY versions. Temporarily out of stock, but should refresh in a month.

Link has instructions and parts list to make your own if that's your jam.

Thats awesome thanks for the link. Watched that series on YouTube but really had no idea what to do for the hardware. That’ll be a fun project.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thats awesome thanks for the link. Watched that series on YouTube but really had no idea what to do for the hardware. That’ll be a fun project.

Was out of stock last night when I posted but just checked and ordered one. Showed 2 left in stock.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Trying to clean up and get ready for other projects, had some scrap pine so made two small adirondack chairs out of two 8 foot 2x8s. Wanted a little practice cutting down larger stock to smaller parts. Figure they may not last long outside but some fun practice before buying Cypress or anything for nicer ones.

*edit: Changing pictures from on mobile. My shop is such a wreck at the moment. Spent so much time cleaning and organizing waiting for paint to dry and it still doesn't feel workable. My makeshift bench in the background that is still in progress. That is being used to temporarily house my tiny jointer.

66948363669__6C3826BC-25F0-45BB-91FB-33B3F52E625C.jpg
66993718207__5009CFF7-6D07-420A-AA81-5E7812F4C56A.jpg
IMG_3576.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Murphy Bar is coming along nicely. Work has been busy so haven't had much time to do anything than break down the stock and get a dry fit on the case. Hopefully this weekend I can get the door finished, then glue up.

Still torn on how I want to finish it. It is going outside on a friend's deck so was going to use some Totalboat varnish, but under that can't decide if I want to just do some Totalboat prep or Tung Oil or something else.

IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3588.jpg

This was the model I built up. May make some small modifications to the door. and instead of making the rails and stiles 2.5" reduce them down to 2". In real life 2.5" just looks real chunky and takes away from the panel of the door. It looks like all frame. May just need to see what it looks like as I'm putting it together.

1648775923805.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience with xcarve?

I know that Woodsmith has a video series using CNC from Inventables, but I don't know what model they use. If it is X-Carve or something else. Watched them in passing but not paid too much attention since CNC isn't in my immediate future.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I know that Woodsmith has a video series using CNC from Inventables, but I don't know what model they use. If it is X-Carve or something else. Watched them in passing but not paid too much attention since CNC isn't in my immediate future.

I've just been trying to find someone that has any experience with real 3d (or 2.5D) on a CNC router because I'm trying to figure out how much extra work it would be for me to prep stuff to go on the router.

I did this with the laser and I see plenty of examples with CNC router. Easy to set up files and they're all just different 2d layers.
Laser (3).jpg

And I know this is possible with a router. I know I can export my terrain to STL and then convert to Gcode....but I want to be able to add other designs, labels, etc and have no idea how difficult that's going to be. Can't find anyone that's done that.
1649100199607.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've just been trying to find someone that has any experience with real 3d (or 2.5D) on a CNC router because I'm trying to figure out how much extra work it would be for me to prep stuff to go on the router.

I did this with the laser and I see plenty of examples with CNC router. Easy to set up files and they're all just different 2d layers.
View attachment 406482

And I know this is possible with a router. I know I can export my terrain to STL and then convert to Gcode....but I want to be able to add other designs, labels, etc and have no idea how difficult that's going to be. Can't find anyone that's done that.
View attachment 406483

I have no idea but that's really cool. :)

whoo

<Silver Donator>

View attachment 406482

View attachment 406483
Heres an idea if you come up short on converting from layers to gcode:.

If the site he uses doesn't have your topography, you can use the same process by making a greyscale image of your layers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Heres an idea if you come up short on converting from layers to gcode:.

If the site he uses doesn't have your topography, you can use the same process by making a greyscale image of your layers.
Thanks! 7 minutes in but have to take a break to get dinner ready.

The model he exports from the website is what I can do with my work software, but cool to see it as a web service. The greyscale model he just started showing off around 7 minutes is exactly what I'm hoping some CNC software will accept. I can make those as easy as the 3d models, BUT its the easiest way for me to apply graphics and text to a 2.5D model (because I can just use a graphics program and transparency settings to essentially make it a terrain offset). Exactly what I was hoping for and if Vcarve is unique in that respect, I'd definitely go that route