Woodworking

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Look up 3M Worktunes. There are a couple different versions. One has radio + bluetooth, one is bluetooth only. One is replaceable batteries, and one is rechargeable.

They are over the ear (muff style) but they are great for shops, tractor, chainsaw work, etc.

I've never found noise isolation/cancelation earbuds that can handle that level of noise. I've tried dozens.
These are really comfortable, but they're about 40% as loud as I normally listen to headphones. I know they're "ear protection" and not "headphones", but come on 3M....Allman Brothers are meant to be LOUD

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
These are really comfortable, but they're about 40% as loud as I normally listen to headphones. I know they're "ear protection" and not "headphones", but come on 3M....Allman Brothers are meant to be LOUD

The flip side is the battery lasts all week because of how low the volume is. I bought em for full days in the production area at work, but also great for mowing the lawn, weed whacking, chainsaw, etc.

I've had em for 2 or 3 years now. Think I've had to charge them a half dozen times. They're fucking great.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Make sure your ears are sitting inside the foam pad circles not just resting on top. Also make sure both the bluetooth volume and the headset volume are max.

They aren't skull thumping loud, but you should be able to listen comfortably and clearly for many hours at a time. If that doesn't work, put new batteries in those hearing aids :)

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
So I should stop using my home made MEK + methylene chloride shampoo? :(

View attachment 400622

Heavy solvents actually break down the stuff you are trying to clean off and push it into your skin instead of taking it off. Some solvents break it down so much it supposedly can aid in it reaching your blood stream. And when working with Urethanes almost all have an isocyanate as a component. Cy as in cyanide. Cyanides and Isocyanates

Then again, I have had exposure levels way above safe for more than 30 yrs and I am fine, but I am pretty sure the half life of my corpse is going to be 200+ years, with all the plastics in my blood stream I am not longer biodegradable.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have been trying to fight weather and work to whittle away at my engagement ring box so that I can propose this weekend. Weather has been terrible, I spent the weekend with a stomach bug brought home by a 4 year old. Haven't had stuff flying out of both ends like that since college.

Finally settled on a design I wanted as a combination of walnut, maple, and mahogany. This is my first time ever doing something smaller than like 3 feet by 3 feet, so quite a reduction in scale.

Spoiler for all the pictures and what not, for the page load.

Did a quick glue up after transferring some measurements. And then cleaned it up a bit to get it more or less square but not final dimensions.

Raw.jpg
Cleaned up a bit.jpg

Cut it down to the final shape and did 1/4" round over on all sides. At first tried to cut the box in half using my coping saw since it was the thinnest kerf blade in my shop, but it didn't go 100% and I had to clean it up on the table saw, which removed too much material and the "slash" didn't line up anymore. So, instead of making it a slash I rotated the bottom and made it a "chevron" instead. The zig-zag made it a little less obvious that it wasn't perfect.

Still needed to fix some small gaps.

Chevron.jpg

Did a quick test of making a template and using the router to hollow out the inside of the box, worked pretty well.

Test.jpg

Moved on to the actual box and it was going great, shallow pass, shallow pass, shallow pass. Then the router skipped and slammed in to the wall :( Took out half a side in one big chunk and half of the back wall. I 100% know what I did wrong and can only attribute it to being too comfortable and not familiar enough with the small things that can go wrong. Was pretty crushing seeing all broken.

Crack.jpg

Walked away for a while, went to my FFL and picked up an HK SP5 to make myself feel better. Came back this afternoon and figured I'd take a shot at repairing it. So I glued the large corner piece back in since it was mostly whole. Chiseled out the back wall to make a repairable patch area. Cut a walnut piece from the original larger block, and have it glued in and clamped. Tomorrow I'll try to finish the hollowing and take some more time. Still have the top to do as well.

patch.jpg
Fix.jpg

I think the repair will be fine if it holds for me to finish carving the inside out. It is on the side of the box. The back would have been better since that would be the hinged part and not as noticeable. Just making me anxious b/c I want it to be great for the ring so putting a lot of thought in to it. And to have seen it all break just killed me. I also spent a lot of time making the template b/c apparently I don't really know how to make templates and secure them to the wood. In retrospect I would have not trimmed it down to 3x3x3 first to give me more material on the sides to attach the top template.

It is nice though that even working on larger pieces, what skills translate to the smaller stuff. I would encourage anyone to not be intimidated by something new or totally out of their wheelhouse. Because while there are certainly many differences and nuances, you'll surprise yourself on how much you can do. It is just... smaller. And I've even learned things that will apply to larger furniture as well.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Woodworking projects as gifts with a deadline triggers me greatly. After the last one I swore I would never do another woodworking project as a gift unless it's at least 6 months away.

Box looks nice though. Congratulations on the engagement.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Doing some finishing today. I think the repair worked fine. It isn’t finishing quiet the same, of course, bc I cut down and worked it at a different time from the rest. Didn’t think about it at the time or would have spent longer on that one spot.

Turns out my 5mm hinges are just on the large side for the ~1/4” wall of the box, so I’m just going to use two miniature neodymium magnets in opposite corners, and it’ll be a removeable lid instead of hinged.

Also bought some polyfoam and satin at Hobby Lobby to make the insert. Temperature went from like 58 degrees to 30 in about an hour so left the rest for tomorrow.

3077D051-BE0A-4AC9-A678-AF8BB1DA45AF.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Doing some finishing today. I think the repair worked fine. It isn’t finishing quiet the same, of course, bc I cut down and worked it at a different time from the rest. Didn’t think about it at the time or would have spent longer on that one spot.

Turns out my 5mm hinges are just on the large side for the ~1/4” wall of the box, so I’m just going to use two miniature neodymium magnets in opposite corners, and it’ll be a removeable lid instead of hinged.

Also bought some polyfoam and satin at Hobby Lobby to make the insert. Temperature went from like 58 degrees to 30 in about an hour so left the rest for tomorrow.

View attachment 402839
Hey, you may want to reconsider the magnets, or at least do a test piece first. It can be hard to get magnets to line up perfectly so that the lid seam aligns. Especially if you're just butting flat to flat with no registration pins.

If you find the magnets want to pull the lid slightly to one side or another, you can put 2 small dowels or brass pins in to register the lid.

If you have time, order smaller hinges imo

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hey, you may want to reconsider the magnets, or at least do a test piece first. It can be hard to get magnets to line up perfectly so that the lid seam aligns. Especially if you're just butting flat to flat with no registration pins.

If you find the magnets want to pull the lid slightly to one side or another, you can put 2 small dowels or brass pins in to register the lid.

If you have time, order smaller hinges imo

Thanks, I considered that and hadn’t done a test yet. My plan was to use dowels / small cutoff metal as registration pins like you say though. Smaller hinges were for sure a thought, or going a small piano instead of barrel hinges if I could find some locally. Not ideal but the proposal is supposed to be Sunday haha.

Thinking about it, maybe I can just go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's, or Home Goods... find any small box with a hinge lol and take it off.

Last edited:

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Thanks, I considered that and hadn’t done a test yet. My plan was to use dowels / small cutoff metal as registration pins like you say though. Smaller hinges were for sure a thought, or going a small piano instead of barrel hinges if I could find some locally. Not ideal but the proposal is supposed to be Sunday haha.
Gotcha. You can use finish nails, cut them and file them rounded. Good luck!

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>

Thinking about it, maybe I can just go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's, or Home Goods... find any small box with a hinge lol and take it off.
Do you have a Rockler, Lee Valley, or Woodcraft near you?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Went over to a friend's during the holidays to work on a project and he had one of the coolest/nicest workbenches I had ever seen. spring loaded/locking drawers with one push foot pedal to take it from wheels to rubber feet. He also did all the drawers with no glue/nails/screws using some Japanese joinery type fuckery. Not to mention the cool gear vice setup. Sorry for the blurs, top secret clearance required.
XjLDZJvo82.png

taS4N606OD.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Went over to a friend's during the holidays to work on a project and he had one of the coolest/nicest workbenches I had ever seen. spring loaded/locking drawers with one push foot pedal to take it from wheels to rubber feet. He also did all the drawers with no glue/nails/screws using some Japanese joinery type fuckery. Not to mention the cool gear vice setup. Sorry for the blurs, top secret clearance required.
View attachment 402895
View attachment 402896

If you are gonna steampunk your work bench at least paint the gears brass color.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What's the "easiest" way to drill something at a specific angle, without requiring some tool I don't have (drill press) or obscure jigs that are going to take me more work to build than what I want to make? Drill press is one of the last "big" shop tools that I have on my list to pick up, but I just about -never- have a need for one so I haven't really been motivated to get one.

This table / legs is the general idea
1647309647326.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What's the "easiest" way to drill something at a specific angle, without requiring some tool I don't have (drill press) or obscure jigs that are going to take me more work to build than what I want to make? Drill press is one of the last "big" shop tools that I have on my list to pick up, but I just about -never- have a need for one so I haven't really been motivated to get one.

This table / legs is the general idea
View attachment 403322
Relevant technique at timestamp. Basically, you mark out at least two different reference angles plus a scrap block/protractor and eyeball it. You'll get withing a handful of degrees, which is close enough.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users