Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I try and allot enough time at the end of the work day to clean up and then at the end of a project more or less do a reset. Use the leaf blower to blow out the shop, sweep, vacuum, dust everything down. Then turn around and junk it up again lol.

The polyaspartic flooring really helps to sweep/blow sawdust off as well as clean up glue drops. Glad almost everyday to have gone that route.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I have two 2ft x 4ft benches I'm attaching to the walls. I think I'd like a space in-between them that I can put a miter saw on, or whatever, and adjust the vertical on it. What do I need? My only idea involves allthread and I have no tools for working with metal

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I have two 2ft x 4ft benches I'm attaching to the walls. I think I'd like a space in-between them that I can put a miter saw on, or whatever, and adjust the vertical on it. What do I need? My only idea involves allthread and I have no tools for working with metal

Make a lower shelf between the two benches that's deeper than what you need for the miter saw, then make shims, wooden risers, or a simple frame for it to sit on that lifts your saw to exactly the necessary height. Then when you get a new saw or want to put another tool there you just make new risers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Make a lower shelf between the two benches that's deeper than what you need for the miter saw, then make shims, wooden risers, or a simple frame for it to sit on that lifts your saw to exactly the necessary height. Then when you get a new saw or want to put another tool there you just make new risers.
Hey hey hey. Simple and effective. Thanks!
(I am dumb)

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hey hey hey. Simple and effective. Thanks!
(I am dumb)

If I ever get the bench on my side wall cleaned off I'm planning the same thing. The previous owner had "something" there because there is already a cutout to sit the miter saw in. Lemme know how it goes for yours and post some pics. Then I'll just steal it and won't have to think much about it!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If I ever get the bench on my side wall cleaned off I'm planning the same thing. The previous owner had "something" there because there is already a cutout to sit the miter saw in. Lemme know how it goes for yours and post some pics. Then I'll just steal it and won't have to think much about it!
I did it today, but I'm not posting shit anymore after seeing your garage floor. Ya Freak

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Directtoolsoutlet has 13 rigid planer for 240 im travelling so cant post link

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'd jump on that for sure if you were interested at all in owning a planar. The DeWalt DW735 (or X model) is like $500+ can't remember what the deal I got at Lowe's was.

This one is only single speed it looks like, but does that really matter? Ridgid has questionable longevity with Emmerson not seeming to commit to the brand long term, so that might come in to play from a warranty / parts stand point. Also not sure of the cutter head but I'd probably take a gamble on it being standard and replaceable with a helical pattern if you wanted to (https://shelixheads.com/SHELIX-heads_for_Planers/SHELIX_Heads_for_Planers_by_RIDGID).

For $240 that is pretty good and I'd probably take those risks. Find / Make some in-feed / out-feed wings if you feel like you'll need it.

Captain Suave

Dunno how much I actually love the bench, but this guy definitely put in the work and has some pretty slick jigs.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I've been working on getting my garage organized and I made this a few days ago. Do I need full custom thing just for bits? No, probably not. Just had an idea and thought it would be pretty cool, and in the end I thought it was probably the best thing I've ever made haha. It's all just scrap wood I took out of a dresser, and some pieces of baseboard. I know it's nothing amazing, but I'm just getting into this stuff and very happy with it.

20220505_215906.jpg

20220505_215742.jpg

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Captain Suave

I all know is after seeing your setup and Intrinsic's I am absolutely never posting a pic of my disorganized, dirty, shithole garage.

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The key to success:
Speaking of planes, Paul Sellers has put together a kit for a router plane. At $46 it compares favorably to all but the most bare-bones DIY versions. Temporarily out of stock, but should refresh in a month.

Link has instructions and parts list to make your own if that's your jam.

Mine came in today. Nice organized packing. Will be a few weeks before I do anything with it but looking forward to the project.

Sellers Plane.jpeg

• 2Like

Goatface

was impressed with the base till he put the truck bed liner looking stuff on it. think i would have went with shiny smooth black. would there be a reason to use plywood for fill over cottonwood? looked like he had plenty of off cuts, that i think would have blended in better.

also looks like the tag says 61sqfeet $1,525

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Re: his struggles with the jointer - he should have clamped the two halves together and hand planed them as a single surface. That way you're guaranteed to get complementary angles and a perfect seam. That textured base is both ugly and will be hellacious to clean after people inevitably put their feet on it.

• 1Like

Goatface

is there any benefit in using animal based glue? noticed a few youtubers using it lately.

Captain Suave

is there any benefit in using animal based glue? noticed a few youtubers using it lately.
It's traditional, tends to have higher open times before setting, and can be removed with modest heat. Modern glues are stronger, though.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I am almost done re-organizing the shop for the 4th time since I moved in. Still don't have enough room to put everything away. What the fuck.

Ladders, sprayer, thatcher, winter tires, gun stuff and misc brackets. Once again, the last pile in the middle of the shop with no where to go.

Intrinsic Intrinsic - come organize my shop

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I am almost done re-organizing the shop for the 4th time since I moved in. Still don't have enough room to put everything away. What the fuck.

Ladders, sprayer, thatcher, winter tires, gun stuff and misc brackets. Once again, the last pile in the middle of the shop with no where to go.

Intrinsic Intrinsic - come organize my shop

lol

Never confuse clean with organized!