Woodworking

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Back in the day I made a few adirondak type chairs for my mom using some birch I had. And it was nice just sitting on the wood. But adirondak chairs have a type of curve built into them for your ass and thighs. If I were to build a sectional piece like that I would definitely add curve to the ass portion just for that and get the back angle right. If you do that I dont care if its wood or iron or steel, whatevs, it will have comfort. Or better yet boy some outdoor cushion sections and build the chair around them. YOU know the ones with the ass and the back where you tie them down to the chair? Yeah they sell them things in all home goods stores. I mean I guess you could just make your own custom fit ones but why bother.

I still think the slats and a curve is the way to go. Im lucky in that I have acess to CAD and manikins we use for auto body design. So I used a 95th percentile manikin CAD (only a center section) to design the curves of the chairs I made.

Like this.... They have instructions online how to make one yourself with dimensions and angles if you care....

sae.j826.1995_003_01.jpg

Edit....Here is a better one with more dimensions and "comfort angles"
YNLfcly.jpg

THis is how all of our sight angles and reach zones are done in auto body, namely Instrument Panels that I work on. We even do head impact zones with these things to determine zones where the head will impact so that when we design our parts on the instrument panel they dont fly off or crack when a head impacts it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the advice C Captain Suave and Intrinsic Intrinsic . I think the main issue I had with the saw initially was where I decided to put it on my 4'x8' table-

(I have the router in there right now, but that's where I had the table saw when I first set it up)
1654209478134.png

So, I didn't have any support on the full sheets of plywood when I was first starting the cut, and I didn't have a clamped fence further down the table either. I fucked up 2 cuts and then just put the table saw away and haven't touched it since then. I think I knew I was just being a moron before I asked the question, but the track saws looked appealing and I figured I'd ask before going that route. I think I might just pull the melamine top off this bench and put a new one on it and cut out the center piece to use as a spot to drop a saw or router into, along with some holes for guides and fences? Like this?
1654209721880.png

It's funny to me that I've always been confident in a woodshop with putting random shit together....but I never really thought about how it was easy for me to do that because someone else already put the work and thought into setting up the tools, workspaces, jigs etc for use. I'm constantly half-assing stuff and fucking up projects by taking shortcuts and what not, so I'm trying to work on setting up the tools in a good spot before I dive into any other projects.

My shop is still a mess (eat 500 dicks, Intrinsic Intrinsic ), but I finished the bench with my miter saw along the north wall, moved all of my tools and parts out of the old kitchen cabinets and into a tool cart and parts bins, and organized all of the house/gun stuff (south wall, out of view) in the past few weeks. The weird shelf above the TV was just something I did right when we moved in to get my mother in law's big ass kayak out of the way. I'm going to take that thing down in the next few weeks and build some shelves and lumber racks along that entire wall. I'd like to pull out all of those old kitchen cabinets pretty soon, too.

1654210179513.png

It's much cleaner now than it was when I took the picture above, but Intrinsic Intrinsic inspired me to work on keeping my workspace clean so all I've been doing for the past couple weeks is forcing myself to organize and keep working on setting up the shop instead of starting a new project every time I have a spare 12 minutes and then leaving it scattered around the shop when I crash.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I have a small Ryobi table saw (I suppose jobsite might be how you describe it, but no wheels, "permanent" legs). Honestly, the thing is better than I give it credit for. The miter gauge sucks, but they all do, so I just built a sled to replace it. And then I built an extra fence that I can bolt directly on to the table to extend my rip distance out far enough to cut some shit. Infeed support will bw my next project, but honestly, if you're ripping 4x8 sheets, you really do just need a hand with them. They're not easy to handle for one guy while managing a table saw, but 2 guys can get you some accurate-ish cuts. Just cut long and you can trim a MUCH smaller piece down to perfect size later.

In my world, I'm putting the finishing touches on the sawmill Izzy Swan sells plans for, so I can start cutting down that walnut. Should be dialing that in next weekend after I get back from vacation, excited to see if I can get some halfway usable lumber out of all that.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah 4x8 sheets I find much easier to rough cut with the circular saw then final cut out at the table saw. I broke down a sheet of 3/4” one day by myself and was like nope.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Yeah 4x8 sheets I find much easier to rough cut with the circular saw then final cut out at the table saw. I broke down a sheet of 3/4” one day by myself and was like nope.

A circular saw was the one thing I never used growing up. My dad had an amazing workshop with literally everything known to man, but he never let me touch the circular saw. It's kinda colored my opinion to this day.

I should probably buy one, but since I have so much less comfort with that than literally everything else, I keep making excuses not to.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
A circular saw was the one thing I never used growing up. My dad had an amazing workshop with literally everything known to man, but he never let me touch the circular saw. It's kinda colored my opinion to this day.

I should probably buy one, but since I have so much less comfort with that than literally everything else, I keep making excuses not to.
Thats funny. Table saws are what I'm least comfortable with.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Thats funny. Table saws are what I'm least comfortable with.

Yeah, it is pretty funny and kinda embarrassing. He had a full size craftsman table saw (which he tried to give me about 12 years ago, but I had nowhere to put it...missed opportunities), stand up (not tabletop) drill press and band saw, a lathe, a jointer, probably a bunch of shit I don't remember, and the only thing I never touched was the circular saw.

Honestly, if I had anything I HAD to cut with a circular saw, I'd probably just do with my chainsaw.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This is all madness to me. I have a beautiful (and big) Jet table saw. I also have four of these:

I cut 4x8 sheets solo all the time. When I made my butcherblock for my kitchen island I trimmed that alone, too. It weights about 200 pounds. My table saw with a good, sharp blade and the right set up makes by FAR the most accurate and straight cuts of anything else I have. And the cuts are always much more clean, too. I have a good circular saw, and I am intrigued by the track systems. I might get one at some point for when I am working somewhere that isn't in my shop. But I will still go to the table saw as my go to.

61LVg4JXppS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I mean the conversation isn’t about what gives the Best and Most accurate cut, it was about Bandwagon Bandwagon not being comfortable with a table saw and Cutlery Cutlery not being comfortable with a circular saw. And then sprinkled in with handling 4x8 sheets of plywood at the end.

I like that SuperMax thing though. The non roller expandable version from Bora isn’t bad but that does seem like it would make handling sheets much better. I typically just use a harbor freight outfeed roller for long boards.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I just recently watched this guy's video and really like this break-down sheet table, for cutting up 4x8 stuff. I have a big sheet rack that stores stuff vertically and you can cut it right on the rack with a circular saw, then move to the table saw. I've been finding that stuff stored on there starts to warp. In the near future I'm going to build a rack above the garage door, to store sheet goods horizontally.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The price of a patio sectional is crazy where I am (or maybe just everywhere?). I'm considernig building one - I have a piece of 3" foam I can turn into cushions.

Something like this:
View attachment 415219

My qustion is - would having 3" foam sitting on just wood boards be very comfy? I know a lot of sectional use wicker. Is there another solution I can put as the surface of the sectional or you think the planks are fine?
So I had a possibly retarded idea. But it's cheap and retarded.

The local online marketplaces always have free couches.

I get a scrappy but decent couch for free. Just get a cover for it. Toss it when support gross lol.

I'm not very classy folks

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

So I had a possibly retarded idea. But it's cheap and retarded.

The local online marketplaces always have free couches.

I get a scrappy but decent couch for free. Just get a cover for it. Toss it when support gross lol.

I'm not very classy folks

look for something with open bottom, something like these
1654300536517.png

a normal to the floor type will invite mice.
while going down this road, if you have a self serve junk yard, can get van seats for like $30-40

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I bought the ugliest chandelier I could find at a second hand shop. I love it.

I'm enjoying my dumb gazebo white trash project

20220603_102819.jpg

• 2Like