Woodworking

whoo

<Silver Donator>
For what its worth, if you plan to work with pieces this thick in the future, you should learn some fixturing techniques that will allow you to mill from both sides and use shorter bits. And maybe upgrade the bandsaw.

Another thought - use 3/4 - 1" lumber, CNC it in 3 layers, then glue the layers together. If you're careful, you can make it look solid and any minor alignment issues would be much easier to clean up.

You going to make more of these solid wood ones?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea I'd like to make more like this, but I'm a little tired of tables right now too. At least until I get a bigger CNC. After I finish this one, I think I'm going to make some wall art stuff. All map related, obviously.

• 1Like

Goatface

1704038862643.png

this showed up on facebook, under arts and crafts, $6k.
"Circle saw mill, with 471 Detroit power unit. New 54 in. Simon saw (cost was$2400.00) plus additional 60 in saw blade"

locally, there was a mill about the same size as this that changed hands and location at least 4 times in about 8 years. don't know how much it sold for, apparently they move pretty fast.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
View attachment 506623
this showed up on facebook, under arts and crafts, $6k.
"Circle saw mill, with 471 Detroit power unit. New 54 in. Simon saw (cost was$2400.00) plus additional 60 in saw blade"

locally, there was a mill about the same size as this that changed hands and location at least 4 times in about 8 years. don't know how much it sold for, apparently they move pretty fast.
There used to be a really similar one in my neighborhood. Kept one guy busy for most of his life. Not sure what they did with it after he died but it's gone now.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Men will remember shit like that 30 years later, random piece of wood in the back of a box somewhere, know right where to find it without a second thought.

Women will remember the 1 time you forgot to buy them coffee on your way home and kill you in your sleep 30 years later.

• 1Solidarity

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
37489 pieces of scrap wood and finally 10 years later that 1" x 3" piece of walnut comes in handy for an overlay. Then you think to yourself that's like $300 bucks now and this is why we never get rid of anything.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
A hilarious mix of new and old.

Edit: Creator disabled external playback. Static humbnail.

1704903998475.png

• 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
A hilarious mix of new and old.

Edit: Creator disabled external playback. Static humbnail.

View attachment 508478

The comments or watching the video may go in to more depth... Had to pause due to baby screaming. Not this is really relevant to the build at all.

1704999347757.png

Then in the next frame there are two:

1704999366499.png

Then when he initially sets his router up there's back to 1:

1704999400628.png

But then when he aligns the mounting holes it is back to two and aligned with the tip of the bit between them:

1704999510237.png

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I might have asked this before. Sorry if so.

What's a good shop heater for a 600 sq ft shop with high ceilings? Something that doesn't need to be vented?

whoo

<Silver Donator>
What's your budget? Noise tolerance? Do you want AC too? Are you spraying finish in there? Are there windows in the shop? How tall are the ceilings? Is the shop insulated?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lol this guy.

12ft ceilings. I spray sometimes. Right now, I'm just looking for something that'll knock the cold off on the days I want to work out there. Warm it up quick, when I'm out there.

Eventually I'll put in a mini split.

• 1Worf

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Before i put a mini split in my shop, I used a propane heater. It worked quickly, but don't spray with it on :) $50 and a propane tank.

You could use a window unit, but depending on how cold it gets, that might not be very efficient /fast.

I hear the infrared heaters can be good, but I've never owned one.

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Eh, it burns cleanly and completely. I assume your shop isn't as tight as your house. I wouldn't sleep with it on. But i ran it for a couple hours at a time and it stayed warm for several after turning it off. I'm still alive.

They do make indoor safe kerosene heaters, but you need something that will put out 150k-200k btu. Not sure the small indoor ones will.

Ive seen plenty of Reznor commercial propane heaters used in closed warehouses without venting. /shrug

• 1Like

Goatface

used one of these with a carbon monoxide/oxygen alarm, wide open is like 30k btu. works good, but think something like 20 hours/1 burner at 50% to under 5 hours/2 burners at 100%. never had carbon monoxide/oxygen alarm go off using a heater.
1705184212865.png

pick on of these up cheap for a backup for the house, but after about 3 years of it just sitting in the box, started using it in the shop, only about 500sq/f. with a special hose connect it to 20lb tank. use both burners for about 30 mins, then go down to 1. it has a low oxygen sensor built in, but not co2.
1705184670471.png

if you go with something that uses a 20lb tank, best to buy a base or use like a real milk crate
1705185671290.png

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I assume your shop isn't as tight as your house.

My garage has the opposite problem. Way too much air coming in. I set up a pellet stove in mine with the chimney going out under the door in hopes that I could use it to varnish trim in winter but even though my brother used that pellet stove to heat his (small) house at one point, it could not keep my garage above 50 degrees.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My neighbor has one of these in his two car shop garage and it works pretty well. I want to say his is a little bigger though? I was going to grab one last year but never made it out to Harbor Freight. Kind of glad I'm out of commission this winter so I don't have to worry about heating the shop. Although I did try to grab some spray adhesive last week for son's Lego table and the Lego baseplates, and that car was kaput.

1705261407076.png