Woodworking

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Wonder what the play is here.

They're trying to leverage the channel's reach in order to have their scam videos promoted by the algorithm and hope they can snag a few suckers.

I'm surprised Mattias wasn't using 2FA given his tech background and that the channel is his primary income.|

Edit: The crypto scam stream apparently has 12k people watching now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

https://www.phun.org/funny_pictures_4/28278.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Applied for a job running a sawmill and managing a warehouse. Spent the last decade in a warehouse, got told "nah, looking for someone with more sawmill experience." Oh, okay, guess you guys can wait for the next logging school graduation.

Is it just me or is a sawmill not just a fucking band saw on its side? Seems like it'd be a lot easier to teach a warehouse guy how to run your sawmill than a sawmill guy to manage your warehouse

Apparently you need a bachelor's in logology or some shit

• 1Worf

Captain Suave

Is it just me or is a sawmill not just a fucking band saw on its side? Seems like it'd be a lot easier to teach a warehouse guy how to run your sawmill than a sawmill guy to manage your warehouse

Sometimes it's a giant circular saw with no guard!

Seriously, though, there are sawmills and then there are sawmills. Everything from one guy with grandpappy's steam engine to operations putting out a million tons a year with a billion dollars in capital and nine figures of EBITDA (I consult with some of the latter). What size outfit are you talking about?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Sometimes it's a giant circular saw with no guard!

Seriously, though, there are sawmills and then there are sawmills. Everything from one guy with grandpappy's steam engine to operations putting out a million tons a year with a billion dollars in capital and nine figures of EBITDA (I consult with some of the latter). What size outfit are you talking about?

A small outfit. Like 10 employees.

Whatever, fuck em. Jobs been open for 5 months. They clearly have some kinda ideas in mind, but that guy doesn't exist.

Captain Suave

A small outfit. Like 10 employees.

Whatever, fuck em. Jobs been open for 5 months. They clearly have some kinda ideas in mind, but that guy doesn't exist.

Seems goofy, then. Properly managing a warehouse and inventory is definitely one of those skills of "you don't know till you know" importance. Presumably there's someone on staff that already knows how to run the sawmill part since they're doing it currently.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
If I was in that spot, and I had a warehouse guy who built a sawmill in his garage and emerged with all 10 fingers, I'd at least wanna sit down with him for half an hour. Maybe I don't hire him, but I sure as shit wanna see what kinda mad scientist vibe this guy has.

Goatface

Materials resource management was the 2 years program that would cover the mill side at my local community college.
If just managing men and orders think warehouse ability would be better, but if buying logs and stuff also would need a mill person. Lot of that stuff is subjective and requires a lot of 1st hand knowledge. If a small mill like that, would think they want some one to manage most of the show

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's shits gonna be open for a long time if you're looking for someone in the middle of the city with it.

And it literally is in the middle of the fucking city. Downtown.

No problem, maybe you can find a hipster lumberjack. He can ride his fixed gear bike into work.

Captain Suave

Finishing is still a bit of a black art to me. I'm going to try this on my next project. Looks pretty hard to screw up.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Big sawmills now use a sash gang saw which is basically like 8 band saw blades that go up and down. The saw operator makes good money and is a top job. Sash gang saws can now cut following the curve of the log and guys who do it well make good money. Reason you get wonky 2x4's now a lot of it now has to do with being cut on a sash gang saw at the sawmill instead of the old ways like a giant circular saw. So the log comes in and the operator makes it feed into the blades so you get a maximum cut along the sweep of the log.

I was touring a new one that was "state of the art". It had various bugs still to be woked out. Coming of the saw they went down the line and had a corner where they were piling up from time to time. Not a problem, a mexican with a chainsaw was stationed there to fix it.

Captain Suave

Big sawmills now use a sash gang saw which is basically like 8 band saw blades that go up and down. The saw operator makes good money and is a top job. Sash gang saws can now cut following the curve of the log and guys who do it well make good money. Reason you get wonky 2x4's now a lot of it now has to do with being cut on a sash gang saw at the sawmill instead of the old ways like a giant circular saw. So the log comes in and the operator makes it feed into the blades so you get a maximum cut along the sweep of the log.

I'm still waiting for people to start designing curved houses to go with our curved boards. It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Friend was a timber buy for what we call a peckerwood mill. Small mill. They made just decking lumber, cut it and dried it in the kiln and pressure treated it. They used a traditional radial type saw. They got swamped with orders and ordered some from the local larger mill and they were going to dry the boards and treat them. I went by and they had them out on in the yard. Some ends were 2 foot off the ground from the other end that was on the ground.

• 1Worf

Goatface

1708998070703.png

anyone seen this type of stuff being used?
remember watching this old house about 10+ years about it being the lumber of the future.

Siliconemelons

Yeah it’s not just using the particle board as a header it’s using it for engineered 2x4 , 2x6 etx etc.

like anything it all comes down to permitting if the stuff gets accepted for wide scale use.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They use that shit in engineered structural beams today. I have never seen it used in other places. Prob too expensive still. (I watch construction videos :D) I mean, resin and wood particles layered in the same direction then pressure molded would be strong as fuck. Prob a lot stronger than normal wood of the same size depending on the resin they used and if it was moisture/water proof. And they can make them in lengths and widths that lumber does not come in.

Last edited:

Captain Suave

I mean, resin and wood particles layered in the same direction then pressure molded would be strong as fuck... And they can make them in lengths and widths that lumber does not come in.

Glulam beams are an upgrade from particles, but they're pretty badass. They'll span 60-70 feet and pound for pound they're stronger than steel.

• 1Like