Woodworking

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
don't watch enough of John Malecki channel to know how he has tripped so many, but he has a collection
View attachment 521731

I feel like that should be a mistake you make once, at absolute best. Is he using the thing as a crutch to get away with shitty behaviors?

Or the alternative - I know full well how dangerous the tool is, so I never operate it when I'm not in the right headspace to do so. I've absolutely shut the saw off and shut the shop down when I realized that I am not giving what I'm doing 100% of my focus.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

I feel like that should be a mistake you make once, at absolute best. Is he using the thing as a crutch to get away with shitty behaviors?

Or the alternative - I know full well how dangerous the tool is, so I never operate it when I'm not in the right headspace to do so. I've absolutely shut the saw off and shut the shop down when I realized that I am not giving what I'm doing 100% of my focus.

was able to find 1 vid with him talking about it after it happened
7:52 if the timestamp doesn't work

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Have done the exact same thing on two occasions. Once I had a bad kick back that was 100% my fault. Came inside immediately and wife said “that was quick. Thought you were going to be out there all afternoon.”

On another occasion I was getting close to wrapping up and actually put the saw blade on backwards while rushing to finish up. Tried the cut and went “nope, not even gonna bother finishing today.”

Goatface

saw this on rediit
1711832851606.png

1711832910417.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
A lot of rumors of cutting wet wood causing activations too because it changes the current enough to trigger the sensor. But I don’t remember seeing any actual evidence of it happening.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Wood Whisperer makes table for brother, inlays a dick in it. (16:08 if timestamp doesn't work)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

I have touched a table saw blade in operation.

Do not recommend.

The outcome was thankfully the best outcome of possibilities. And yes it was because I was being stupid, impatient and not using the tool properly... was trying to do a dato without a dato blade so multi cuts to make the channel - was doing a small test piece, was essentially laying the thing down on the 3rd or so pass, it twisted while I was applying pressure, caught and shot off leaving my pointer and middle to go into the blade, I pulled my hand back, not knowing what was left of those fingers. Fortunately no tips were lost- middle has almost no scar, only pointer - no stitches, only that clot dust stuff at the walk in urgent care.

Again... do not recommend.

Use the proper tool, properly, carefully and always with time at hand.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I have touched a table saw blade in operation.

Do not recommend.

The outcome was thankfully the best outcome of possibilities. And yes it was because I was being stupid, impatient and not using the tool properly... was trying to do a dato without a dato blade so multi cuts to make the channel - was doing a small test piece, was essentially laying the thing down on the 3rd or so pass, it twisted while I was applying pressure, caught and shot off leaving my pointer and middle to go into the blade, I pulled my hand back, not knowing what was left of those fingers. Fortunately no tips were lost- middle has almost no scar, only pointer - no stitches, only that clot dust stuff at the walk in urgent care.

Again... do not recommend.

Use the proper tool, properly, carefully and always with time at hand.
Don’t stick your fingy where you won’t stick your dingy

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

I remember
Don’t stick your fingy where you won’t stick your dingy

when the stop blade tablesaws first came out that was the running gag, and the end of the infomercial he busted out a hot dog to do the test and how how effective it was.

that first style, it essentially spring load shot a 2x2 square by 8 inch long rubber stick thing into the blade. my dad was going to get one, but they were very very expensive and the reload was a few hundred.

And yeah... my dad left me no more than 10 min before my finger to saw accident and was like "BYE BE CAREFUL DONT RUSH" because my cheap butt stupid tablesaw could not take the dato blade so I was going to go over to his house on the weekend... but noooo

here is the scar, I can still feel it happening if I look at it and think...such an odd uncomfortable feeling.

again, do not recommend.

also for the lulz my wife's reaction was "Stop cursing, the children can hear you... do I need to go find any parts?" and the finger nail really did do its job and helped take the hit and let me feel it enough to start to pull away.

fingerscar.jpg

Captain Suave

the finger nail really did do its job and helped take the hit and let me feel it enough to start to pull away.

Honestly, your fingernail is going to do fuck all vs carbide teeth and human reaction time isn't anywhere near fast enough to respond meaningfully to a 4500+ RPM table saw. In the 1/4 second it takes you to figure out what's going on the blade has made 20 full rotations and you'll have had ~1000 interactions with the teeth. Whether you lose a finger or not is just a question of initial positioning and the nature of how you contact the blade.

I'm glad your injury was so minor and it was a pushing error rather than a kickback.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

Yeah it was very fortunate for what it was,

I need a real table saw - this was a crappy work site portable one… it really should be a stopsaw one lol i still have it i have used it a few times and get saw ptsd heh

Edit: also the catching of the wood and noise it made flying off was most likely really what triggered me to pull back - as you said, for me luck was high

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Yeah it was very fortunate for what it was,

I need a real table saw - this was a crappy work site portable one… it really should be a stopsaw one lol i still have it i have used it a few times and get saw ptsd heh

I have a DeWalt jobsite saw that is highly rated in its class. It's still uncomfortably wobbly and flexible with a bunch of runout and sloppy miter slots. As soon as I finish off updating my house (insualtion and electrical still to go) and cash flow supports it I'm getting a real cabinet saw with blade retraction, because I like my fingers.

• 1Like

Goatface

i have never used a band saw. when i was 12ish, one of my cousins, who was about 3 years older, cut part of his pinky, ring and middle fingers off in shop class while using a band saw. he is a fuckwit, but i didn't realize it at the time and just avoided using one all these years.

Captain Suave

i have never used a band saw. when i was 12ish, one of my cousins, who was about 3 years older, cut part of his pinky, ring and middle fingers off in shop class while using a band saw. he is a fuckwit, but i didn't realize it at the time and just avoided using one all these years.
Bandsaws are WAY safer than table saws. You'd have to be moving fast and paying no attention at all to do that to yourself.

• 2Like