Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Helped a friend build a work bench, came out good considering we got very drunk and he was shrooming half way through.
32E0B80C-125D-496E-B1A1-9084104F0E7C.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I got the PCS175 with the 52 inch t-glide, the 52 was only $100 more than the 36, also that was all they had still in stock so helped me make the decision, even if I don't use the extra rip capacity that often it is extra assembly space and I'll probably add the router to it soon. With the dado Cartridge and extra insert I ended up at about 3200.

Any impressions yet?

Menards had the Delta T3 Fence upgrade for a great price and was supposed to be delivered within a week. Was going to just grab that and upgrade my existing fence. But now they've updated the order to show shipping August 18th. Now I'm back to thinking about canceling that and maybe looking at a new saw.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Any impressions yet?

Menards had the Delta T3 Fence upgrade for a great price and was supposed to be delivered within a week. Was going to just grab that and upgrade my existing fence. But now they've updated the order to show shipping August 18th. Now I'm back to thinking about canceling that and maybe looking at a new saw.
Unfortunately I just got it stood up out of the box today, still not assembled, I. So busy renovating the house, mostly drywall this week, I haven't had time to build anything yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I found an old dewalt radial arm saw. I've never restored an old tool like this before. But I'm gunna give it a try. Motor still works too.

Attachments

• 20210426_082321.jpg
    20210426_082321.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
So I found an old dewalt radial arm saw. I've never restored an old tool like this before. But I'm gunna give it a try. Motor still works too.
Definitely look up safety instructions/vids. The blade spins opposite of a table saw so it may not be intuitive. Instead of kicking your work back into you, it will suck you in.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Yeh I saw people use it as a joiner, planar, and put dados in them. All three of those applications using that saw are terrifying. I still have never used a dado stack cause that just scares me lol.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
After watching that video and a few others. I kinda see why. And between my miter saw and table saw I don't really see what I could do with it that I couldn't with those.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
At one time they were used a lot in production type stuff. Same thing all day every day. Maybe 25-30 years ago you could pick them up dirt cheap when everyone started dumping them.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
That's actually how I got this. A neiggbor was throwing it out.
I almost picked up a radial arm saw a few years ago. I was at a ReStore looking for a solid core door and they were using the saw as a display shelf for other tools. The only reason I didn’t bring it home was because I’ve got young kids and it wasn’t obvious to me how I could keep the blade guarded if the machine was accidentally turned on by a curious five year old.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
The benefit of them as far as I understand is you get way less deflection than on a miter saw. But definitely not as safe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 352577
Ready to slab this big boy
Hey I may be late to the game here, but you need to seal the ends of that log ASAP if you haven't yet. If its been sitting since you felled it, cut 6" off each end and seal it immediately with a log sealer like Anchorseal. You can get a similar product at Woodcraft if there is one local to you. Worst case, use latex paint.

If you dont do this, your cut boards/slabs will end up with severe cracks (checks) that could end up ruining that beautiful wood.

Drying lumber is all about controlling the pace of drying and water content. Wood loses moisture from the end grain 10x faster than the face grain. You need to severely limit the moisture loss out of the ends. This starts happening immediately after being cut, and logs will start checking within hours. Trim/seal all wood you plan to mill immediately.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Good tip, I'm taking down my walnut this weekend and had already noticed it on the smaller limbs I had taken off.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lumber has really gone up and valuable. Remember to secure it so it doesn't get stolen. This is what I use to hold it down to make it hard to carry off. Cheaper than the pallets.

gold_pallets-1933162.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Some of the stuff too small for lumber but big enough to split for firewood.
IMG_20210516_122218861.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users