WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
such great memories
smile.png

tumblr_n6r37yiQRk1qaorn7o1_400.gif

Szlia

If the teams are equal after the methods above, FIFA (World Cup) draws lots, while UEFA (Euros) use their own fucking ranking system to decide who progresses.
I thought a 'fair play' ranking based on yellow/red cards was a criteria before tossing a coin? I seem to remember versions where if a team was eliminated for sure, you would redo the calculations without it to un-tie the tied-teams... too many speculations: let's dive into the the official documents:

Fifa official rules_sl said:
5. The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their
rankings shall be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the
teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams
concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams
concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee
So in a two way Points/GD/GS tie, it's direct confrontation and coin flip if it's a draw.

On a three way Points/GD/GS tie, you remove the fourth team from the equation.

On a four way Points/GD/GS tie, you pick two teams out of a hat!

The first scenario can happen rather easily with Nigeria and Iran and it would go to coin toss. 1-0 in Germany vs USA and 1-0 in Ghana vs Portugal would also be a two way tie, but the USA would win by direct confrontation. 3-0 In Germany vs USA and 0-2 in Ghana vs Portugal and it's a coin flip between the USA and Portugal though!

The second scenario could only happen in Group E, but it can't because of the GD-GS scores, and the third scenario cannot happen.

PS: I notice my chart is missing the GD/GF for Greece that can be tied with Japan for 2nd place of the group. Gre (GD:-3, GF:0). Their hopes are slim!

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are there some injuries or something for Portugal? For those of us who do not follow soccer much, it seems Portugal is doing poorly. Bad loss to Germans, and now barely tie US team that looked terrible against Ghana - the same Ghana team that tied Germany.

It just seems a bit much calling them 3rd team in the world? Before you flame, I'm honestly asking. I don't follow the sport much.
nah...i'm portuguese and i can tell you this team is one of the worst i have seen in years. Ronaldo is the only world class player,the others are bunch of fucks that only could play in a 2nd level european team.
The preparation was done poorly. some teams were already in Brazil to get used to its climate and we were touring in the US to earn some $$$. Our medical staff are bunch of morons,so many injuried players in 10 days WTF
Fuck rankings really,thay don't show the reality. just take a look to IFFHS rankings ahah what a joke

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So based on:
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/...germany/winner

The Germany vs USA game is probably going to be a draw?
I guess the bookies take the possibility of collusion into account, comparable to the shameful Austria vs. West-Germany game in 1982. That would be extremely unsportsmanlike though (and even illegal).

On the other hand, I'd love Belgium to play against the USA!

rrr_img_69690.jpg

rrr_img_69689.jpg

Bring it on 'Murica!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
nah...i'm portuguese and i can tell you this team is one of the worst i have seen in years. Ronaldo is the only world class player,the others are bunch of fucks that only could play in a 2nd level european team.
The preparation was done poorly. some teams were already in Brazil to get used to its climate and we were touring in the US to earn some $$$. Our medical staff are bunch of morons,so many injuried players in 10 days WTF
Fuck rankings really,thay don't show the reality. just take a look to IFFHS rankings ahah what a joke
What do you reckon you alls chances against Ghana are? Pepe will be back (not sure that is a great thing though!) - Ronaldo looked absolutely furious at the full time whistle. Not sure their head/hearts will be in it. Hope I'm wrong!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I guess the bookies take the possibility of collusion into account, comparable to the shameful Austria vs. West-Germany game in 1982. That would be extremely unsportsmanlike though (and even illegal).
The fact that there is a game in the world championship playoffs of this sport where both teams could advance on a tie is a pretty good example of why soccer is lame.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The fact that there is a game in the world championship playoffs of this sport where both teams could advance on a tie is a pretty good example of why soccer is lame.
Could easily have the same scenario exist in the NFL on the final week of the regular season with two 9-6 teams playing each other for their division title, but with both still alive for the final wild card as well. A 3rd team could win to go 9-7 and potentially have the head to head tiebreaker over the loser of the game to get in as a wild card, but if the game ended in a tie both teams would finish 9-6-1, with one holding the tiebreaker to win the division title and the other getting a wild card spot.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's not in the playoffs/a tournament, plus the odds of that scenario are about a billion to one.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's not in the playoffs/a tournament, plus the odds of that scenario are about a billion to one.
As Diddley noted above, this isn't the playoffs yet, just group stage. The odds of that scenario happening is not a billion to one at all, although obviously a tie in the NFL is much, much rarer than a World Cup match.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Dunno why you all think that USA haven't a chance against Germany to get a result

If you asked me beforehand if Ghana had a hope against Germany, I would have said 'no chance': Result 2-2 draw
If you asked me beforehand if USA could win against Ghana, I would have said 'nah': Result 2-1 USA win
If you asked me beforehand if USA had a hope against Portugal when they were 1-0 down after 5 mins, I would have said 'very unlikely': Result: 2-2 draw
If you asked me beforehand if USA had any shred of hope of qualifying through the group stage with Ghana, Germany and Portugal in it, I would have said 'no way': They are in a good position with one game to go

If you have offered Klinsmann 4 points after 2 games and needing a draw/win to go through (a lost might even be enough should Ghana and Portugal draw), I am sure he would have taken it.

Don't underestimate this USA team. They will give Germany a damn good game and will make it hard for them.

Very very impressed with the USMNT this tournament. They given us 2 thrilling games and I would rank their performance and passion given above teams like Belgium, Argentina, Portugal, Spain and England.

Elerion

N00b
Very very impressed with the USMNT this tournament. They given us 2 thrilling games and I would rank their performance and passion given above teams like Belgium, Argentina, Portugal, Spain and England.
If there's one thing you can count on from the US in the World Cup, it's passion and raw physical ability. Sometimes that's enough to overcome their tactical shortcomings and lack of world class talent. Always fun to watch.

The WC experience is richer as a result, at least for us non-qualifying chumps.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Even if he was in his mid-40s Kuyt can just run and run and run. Dribbling the ball on the other hand.....

Pretty cagey game so far though that's to be expected with not much to play for aside from who gets to play Brazil next.

Elerion

N00b
Kuyt would have been a world class DMC terrier if he had been trained like that from early on. Gattuso level. Wasted talent, sadly.

Not that he hasn't been successful as a Striker -> Winger -> L/RM -> LB, but man, he could have been a legend.

fat12_sl

shitlord
As enjoyable as the U.S/Portugal game was to watch, Holland v Chile seems like a whole higher level of play... Is this the case?