WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

PKS

N00b
Not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp for you. Our players born and bred to play their respective sports, it's easy to be large and strong. The hard part is being able to properly benefit off your set of skills you get from birth. If our entire country was devoted to creating Soccer stars, they would be born and bred to play Soccer, and just like everything else we're born and bred to do (Save the world from killing themselves, freedom, make money, etc.) we'd be the best at it. Sure you can call it arrogance all you want, but you can't deny that if this country cared as much about Soccer as it did about NFL that we would be a perennial contender.
Lol, hard to grasp? You just changed your argument ! Wind it back a notch: It was stated twice by you and someone else that someone like Lebron James would dominate in this sport, which is a joke of an idea. That's all I replied to! And it IS a joke.

By all means, talk about the fictional ideas about how much USA would dominate if you lived in an alternate universe where you put a fuck ton of effort into soccer if it helps you sleep at night. You have a large population, great! That's a start. So does the Chinese. Wait! The Chinese aren't as rich! USA wins again! God. Your argument is just "we are the best, so, by default, we would be the best". Nice. Typical poster boy for USA.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol, hard to grasp? You just changed your argument ! Wind it back a notch: It was stated twice by you and someone else that someone like Lebron James would dominate in this sport, which is a joke of an idea. That's all I replied to! And it IS a joke.

By all means, talk about the fictional ideas about how much USA would dominate if you lived in an alternate universe where you put a fuck ton of effort into soccer if it helps you sleep at night. You have a large population, great! That's a start. So does the Chinese. Wait! The Chinese aren't as rich! USA wins again! God. Your argument is just "we are the best, so, by default, we would be the best". Nice. Typical poster boy for USA.
So it's extremely hard for you to grasp. They not have a good education in whatever third world country you're from? I'd love to go into the intricacies of hypothetical situations with you, but I can tell it would go completely over your head and be a waste of time.

I don't need the US to be the best at an inferior sport for me to sleep at night, in fact that's just another reason I love being American.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
GG USA.

We deserved the win, but Howard was great and we missed a bit of sharpness and luck to get that goal in before the 90 minutes were over.

The US played with all their heart. Klinsmann is doing a good job and now it's just important to develop those younger talents.

Also happy we finally showed the world we can play as good as I know we can. This is the final 16, this is the moment to put your cards on the table.

JCVD Hug.gif

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
GG USA.

We deserved the win, but Howard was great and we missed a bit of sharpness and luck to get that goal in before the 90 minutes were over.

The US played with all their heart. Klinsmann is doing a good job and now it's just important to develop those younger talents.

Also happy we finally showed the world we can play as good as I know we can. This is the final 16, this is the moment to put your cards on the table.

JCVD Hug.gif
Grats bro, gg, score should've been 6-0.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know why Euro's get so upset that we don't really care about their sport that much.

I'm not saying we would necessarily dominate, but it's ridiculous to say that we wouldn't be consistently in the top 10 if we actually gave a shit about soccer. I mean, name me a sport that we actually throw any bit of interest and money into where we're not competitiveall the time?

You can throw out how Lebron may not be a great soccer player, and maybe Calvin Johnson too. But if we were cultivating soccer players in college like we do the NFL/NBA/MLB and selecting the best of the bestwith a soccer skillsetyou don't think we'd have a hell of a fucking team? You're out of your damn mind.

PKS

N00b
So it's extremely hard for you to grasp. They not have a good education in whatever third world country you're from? I'd love to go into the intricacies of hypothetical situations with you, but I can tell it would go completely over your head and be a waste of time.

I don't need the US to be the best at an inferior sport for me to sleep at night, in fact that's just another reason I love being American.
Ad hominems.. and way to duck the argument. Okay.

Are you implying Lebron James would 'dominate' still in soccer if he chose to play it from birth? I'd love to know the hypothetical argument you could construct for this one. It would be entertaining, the idea of it, just for the laughs.

If you want to discuss the hypothetical about how USA would dominate if they uprooted their entire sporting infrastructure & went back in time several decades to compete with the rest of the world; I'm not interested. I'm sure you guys would be a hell of a lot better, that's the most obvious argument in the world. But it's also completely pointless.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
But it's also completely pointless.
No.

The point it serves is as a piece of the fabric of reality that we can always fall back on every four years after we lose at the World Cup in order to cheer ourselves up. This collective cheering up will be done no matter what any of us think about it. It is a force of nature and you would do well to embrace it and have fun with it.

So, when I see us lose, yet again, in the round of 16 (which ain't exactly a bad showing) I remind myself that my great culture would crush yours, if we wanted to. Look for me in 2018 and I'll be here with my friends lamenting my sorrows in this same way all over again.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you want to discuss the hypothetical about how USA would dominate if they uprooted their entire sporting infrastructure & went back in time several decades to compete with the rest of the world; I'm not interested. I'm sure you guys would be a hell of a lot better, that's the most obvious argument in the world. But it's also completely pointless.
That's the point to the argument that people make. Let it be pretty clear that's not the argument I made, nor did I even bring it up. I was simply representing one side of it while you were mocking the other. Like I said earlier, it doesn't bother me that the US isn't more interested in Soccer. If this game were something like the Dolphins being knocked out of the playoffs on last second touchdown after playing like shit the entire game (which happens often) I'd be beating the shit out of my punching bag and fuming with anger. Here, I just turned off the TV and went back to work.

Elerion

N00b
Yeah Lebron James and Calvin Johnson would be absolutely destroying everyone out there. But we didn't and they don't.
Just reminding you that this is what you said. No, they almost certainly wouldn't, they're too big. The biggest world class (outfield) player the game has ever seen is Zlatan at 6'5'' 210 pounds, and he is a technical demigod. It takes insane technical skill to play soccer well with that sort of frame. As Pks said, size and raw athleticism matters a lot less in soccer than in football and basketball. I think what they do at the combine is cool, but using an event like that as a yard stick for soccer talent would be absolutely ridiculous.

No one doubts that the US could produce better players if they cared about soccer, but it wouldn't be the same physical beasts that dominate NFL/NBA.

Messi is thebest player in the worldand he is 5'5'' 150.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Messi is the best player in the world at 5'5" 150 because that's what the competition allows for. If someone was the size of Adrian Peterson (probably a little less muscle/weight) and had the same technical skill as Messi, do you think he'd be a better player than Messi?

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
All these sports/athletes comparisons are stupid. They're different sports! It's like saying NFL linesmen would be awesome Tour De France contenders if they had only biked instead of playing football. WTF people.

Elerion

N00b
Messi is the best player in the world at 5'5" 150 because that's what the competition allows for. If someone was the size of Adrian Peterson (probably a little less muscle/weight) and had the same technical skill as Messi, do you think he'd be a better player than Messi?
Zlatan is arguably more technically gifted than Messi, but he has a longer stride and a higher center of weight, which makes it impossible to do some of the things Messi does.

There's nothing magical about it, it's just physics. Different sports (and different roles within those sports) favor different body types and skill sets.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I love frites and your beer is glorious, but I'm still calling a special session of Congress to propose a declaration of war on your country.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks.
Just to prove a Euro can learn to appreciate American sports, this is me with the t-shirt I bought last month:

rrr_img_70358.jpg

See you in the other Football thread!
Yeah you just got knocked down the very fucking bottom of my list buddy. Eat shit and die.

I'm sure you and Azeth can be best friends forever in Tom Brady's man boy love club.

Unless of course you just bought the shirt because it looked American, then we're cool and I can direct you to a team that isn't literally satan.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Just because they have England in their name doesn't mean you fucking Euros have to root for them ffs. Be a true bandwagon fan and root forDallasPittsburghSan FranciscoSeattle.