World Health Organization declares war on bacon

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
For the children.

iron-pigs-bacon.jpg

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
The gluten free shit cracks me up being in the restaurant business. In the past two years, i've gotten and continue to get anywhere from one to 15 orders per shift from people supposedly allergic to gluten (despite the fact that this allergy is actually almost non-existant) and worked with a girl who claimed she was allergic to it even though she'd eat food with gluten on occasion (lol hipster logic).

Also, I don't personally give two fucks about anything that supposedly increases your risk of cancer until someone can actually prove things cause cancer and it's not just shitty luck. I'm looking at you on this one, anti-smoking commercials/ads saying I should've gotten cancer 16 years ago due to my smoking since someone else who smoked got cancer after a year!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The gluten free shit cracks me up being in the restaurant business. In the past two years, i've gotten and continue to get anywhere from one to 15 orders per shift from people supposedly allergic to gluten (despite the fact that this allergy is actually almost non-existant) and worked with a girl who claimed she was allergic to it even though she'd eat food with gluten on occasion (lol hipster logic).

Also, I don't personally give two fucks about anything that supposedly increases your risk of cancer until someone can actually prove things cause cancer and it's not just shitty luck. I'm looking at you on this one, anti-smoking commercials/ads saying I should've gotten cancer 16 years ago due to my smoking since someone else who smoked got cancer after a year!
Trust me, you'd know the ppl who are truly allergic to gluten. I had a co-worker who had celiac disease, and every time he went out, he would quiz the server, that they'd always go back and forth in the kitchen. How the fries are fried, where is it all separated, in the end it's usually a plain steak or salad for him, b/c he cannot and will not take the chance of even the smallest gram of gluten in his meal. why? he says the shits are the worst 4 hours of your life.

If they aren't giving you the 3rd degree, then they don't have celiac and are just being stupid trendy.

Jive Turkey

Karen

Makes fun of hipster logic, then follows it up with bro science

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
We've been eating smoking and eating meat since we had fire and meat to smoke. This reminds me the gluten bullshit.

Whenever I hear this kind of shit that flies totally in the face of 10,000 years of civilization, like people saying they're allergic to goddamn bread, I immediately smell bullshit.
Dude, it's a metastudy of like 800 studies or some shit. The science is pretty damn solid.

The thing that is tripping everyone up is that it's listed in the same category as tobacco and alcohol. All that means is that they're reasonably certain about red meat, and pretty much certain about processed meat. It's categorized by certainty, NOT RISK. That being said, eating one or two portions of red meat a day causes something like an 18% increase in your chance of getting cancer. Meanwhile, smoking cigarettes raises your chances by something like 2500%. It's a massive difference. I think I read that they think meat might be responsible for maybe 30,000 extra cancer deaths a year. Meanwhile alcohol is about 600,000 and tobacco is in the millions. Considering that damn near every country and culture and religion eats some form of red or processed meat, while many don't consume alcohol or tobacco, it's a pretty minor fish to fry in terms of global health priorities.

Overall this isn't something that most people need to worry about. If you're eating steak wrapped with bacon for every meal, then yeah, you should probably moderate that a bit. Otherwise there's a shitload of other factors out there that are as or more concerning. Obesity, lack of exercise, too much sun exposure, air pollution, it goes on and on.

TLDR: if you say something along the lines of "LULZ THE WHO SAYS BACON IS AS BAD AS SMOKING" you might be an illiterate fucking moron.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
ya never know to what extent crazies will take the campaign.

"Second Hand" cigarette smoke has a "reasonable" certainty (10% margin of error, much wider margin of error than was acceptable by the EPA to even classify it as a carcinogen, so they just lowered their standards) that it may increase cancer risk by 19%.

But once them hippy feelz and them politicians get involved, especially about public health, then the science don't mean shit even if it's shaky at best. Doesn't even matter that the study that linked second hand smoke to cancer was completely and thoroughly debunked, smoking is still banned basically everywhere cus of second hand smoke's threat to public health.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Here's your numbers. And these numbers already include people who have likely been eating red meat and cured/smoked or processed meats their entire lives.

CDC - Colorectal Cancer Risk by Age

The article headlines are nothing more than fear mongering.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've been following the news for a long enough time that I think most of the foods people know and love have at one time or another been deemed bad for you. Hell, even the water we drink, air we breath and the sunlight can cause cancer. Fact is, you're going to die anyway. And even if it is carcinogenic then that's not a 100% guarantee that you'll get cancer, like thisFrench ladywho lived to be 122 years old and smoked cigarettes every day for almost a century.

I, for one, am going to go and have me a nice juicy cancer-burger for lunch today, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Remember folks: life is a terminal disease.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
lol nice, I like that part about the french lady:

Wikipedia_sl said:
Calment smoked cigarettes from the age of 21 (1896) to 117 (1992), though according to an unspecified source, she smoked no more than two cigarettes per day towards the end of her life. After her operation, Calment needed to use a wheelchair. In 1994, age 119, she weighed 45 kilograms (99 lb).
Calment ascribed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to a diet rich in olive oil (which she also rubbed onto her skin), as well as a diet of port wine, and ate nearly one kilogram (2.2 lb) of chocolate every week.
lol, crazy.

Khane

I've been following the news for a long enough time that I think most of the foods people know and love have at one time or another been deemed bad for you. Hell, even the water we drink, air we breath and the sunlight can cause cancer. Fact is, you're going to die anyway. And even if it is carcinogenic then that's not a 100% guarantee that you'll get cancer, like thisFrench ladywho lived to be 122 years old and smoked cigarettes every day for almost a century.

I, for one, am going to go and have me a nice juicy cancer-burger for lunch today, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Remember folks: life is a terminal disease.
No, the article headlines are making it seem like it's a foregone conclusion. The current rate for men age 30 to get colorectal cancer by the time they are 60, which I linked above (and include people who eat a ton of cured meats) is less than 1%. They showed it can increase that 1% chance by 18%. Big deal... That's not even worth reporting. Even if it increased your risk by 100% that would still only mean you have a 2% chance of getting colorectal cancer statistically speaking.

This shit isn't worth talking about.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Centenarian stories are great.
Susannah Mushatt Jones, Worlds Oldest Person, Eats Bacon Every Day

Dr. Pepper The Doctor Of Choice For A 104-Year-Old Woman CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
"When I hurt my ankle and I had to go to the doctor he asked me about my food," Sullivan said in 2014. "I said I don't like tea or coffee, so I drink three Dr Peppers a day. He said 'That will kill you.' About 15 years later I had to change doctors because he died. I was still drinking three Dr Peppers a day, and I still do."

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I live on Okinawa, which are the longest living people on earth, and the largest concentration of people alive over 100 years old.

These people eat pork every day. Fish too, but mostly pork. You can't go anywhere on this island without smelling the pig farms. Oh and sugarcane. they grow a lot of sugarcane too, and chew it raw.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah but Okinawans and Japs are so disciplined they would employ moderation on a diet of toxic doritos and still live to 95.

That red meat study won't affect the Japs the way the McGovern committee caused the obesity epidemic in the west either. Unlike us, the Japs and most asians had already been living with lots of carbohydrates in their diet so they didn't overreact to the McGovern Nutrition's regulations by replacing fats with carbohydrates (and worse, replacing sugar with HFSC).

Judging by how 4 decades after McGovern's regs against fats fucked the entire western diet with universal obesity and diabetic 9-year-olds, THIS new thing is liable to get us something even more interesting in a few decades after they replace bacon with mutant turkey or frankensoy. Maybe liver cirrhosis for teens or kidney failure for children.

Khane

Yeah but Okinawans and Japs are so disciplined they would employ moderation on a diet of toxic doritos and still live to 95.

That red meat study won't affect the Japs the way the McGovern committee caused the obesity epidemic in the west either. Unlike us, the Japs and most asians had already been living with lots of carbohydrates in their diet so they didn't overreact to the McGovern Nutrition's regulations by replacing fats with carbohydrates (and worse, replacing sugar with HFSC).

Judging by how 4 decades after McGovern's regs against fats fucked the entire western diet with universal obesity and diabetic 9-year-olds, THIS new thing is liable to get us something even more interesting in a few decades after they replace bacon with mutant turkey or frankensoy. Maybe liver cirrhosis for teens or kidney failure for children.
Do you think it's going to gain that much leverage? I'd hope not since it's not even really a risk. The difference being the McGovern committee actually lied when they found inconclusive results.