World of Warcraft: Current Year

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I remember main tanking Brewmaster in MOP, and all the forums/pugs screaming "Brewmasters are paper tanks" and I'm just like "I feel god damn invincible." We downed Ra-den on our first pull with 80% of the raid dead because Brewmaster was just literally unkillable with Guard scaling and proper healing orb conservation/consumption. Brewmaster taunt speeding up the Thunder King's movement speed was actually secret sauce OP for reducing raid damage.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor
State of the beta suggests that they should at least take one more month

At least one more month. I've been in almost every alpha/beta since vanilla and I have never seen it in this bad of a state so close to release. There's some major showstopping bugs and tons of shit that's flat out broken or NYI.

For example I've been trying for about 3 weeks now to level a fresh character from 51-60 and have several characters stalled because one quest or another is bugged. They fixed a bug in Bastion last build that had everyone stalled, but broke two other zones main quest lines in doing so. Keep in mind that leveling is linear for your first character in SL and you have to do the campaign quests in order. Bastion->Maldraxxus->Ardenweald->Revendreth. If one of them is bugged you're flat out fucked, you can't level. You could grind mobs until they grey out but you can't go to the next zone until you finish the one you're in. Also the zones don't scale so if you level to say 57 and decide to go back and do some Bastion sidequests, they will all be grey and give almost no exp.

They're still tweaking exp values, they are set way too low right now. I finished Maldraxxus at level 54 last week and ended up stuck behind a door with a grey ! questgiver that requires level 56. People are reporting finishing Revendreth and getting Loremaster at level 58, unable to advance because the next quests require level 60. I imagine the exp values are quick and easy enough to tweak but this is one of the many examples of things wrong right now.

Covenants and soulbinds are a whole other mess that I'm not going to even get into.

As for The Maw, it's barren with not much to do right now but I'm sure they have plans for it later on. Hope you rolled a druid or shaman (you're not allowed to mount in The Maw).

On a good note, the expansion itself is beautiful. As usual the art and music guys knocked it out of the park. The zones look amazing and the quests/story are pretty decent by WoW standards. The leveling experience is fun and fluid (when it works) and I really hope they at least get that working before release.

The endgame stuff is going to be rough for a couple months, not even talking tuning or balancing, but abilities etc flat out working. It's going to be a scramble of hotfixes trying to stay ahead of the cutting edge players as they run into broken stuff.

I really wish they would delay but we all know that can't happen. The corporate wheels are in motion and there's no stopping that train. It's gonna be a rough ride boys.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I remember main tanking Brewmaster in MOP, and all the forums/pugs screaming "Brewmasters are paper tanks" and I'm just like "I feel god damn invincible." We downed Ra-den on our first pull with 80% of the raid dead because Brewmaster was just literally unkillable with Guard scaling and proper healing orb conservation/consumption. Brewmaster taunt speeding up the Thunder King's movement speed was actually secret sauce OP for reducing raid damage.

Brewmasters in MoP felt so damn good to play because of the way the tank resource (I forget the name of it) scaled our guard and self-heals like it was spell power. I remember using that monk heal that jumped from target to target and getting 6-7 digit heal numbers off each bounce. It was all downhill from there.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Keep in mind that leveling is linear for your first character in SL and you have to do the campaign quests in order. Bastion->Maldraxxus->Ardenweald->Revendreth. If one of them is bugged you're flat out fucked, you can't level.

What the... after all the work they did in Legion and BfA to create scalable content that let people scatter to the winds and pursue the content in whatever order they wished (and thus reduce congestion) they reverted to a set order? Whose bright idea was that??

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They have a DEEP and COMPELLING story to tell Qhue. You have to know which covenant you truly identify with and love so that you can disregard that preference to pick best numbers.

• 1Worf

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
What the... after all the work they did in Legion and BfA to create scalable content that let people scatter to the winds and pursue the content in whatever order they wished (and thus reduce congestion) they reverted to a set order? Whose bright idea was that??

After the first time, I think it scales for alts and you can go where you like. (I THINK)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm picking whatever is agreed upon to be the worst one. When the first balance patch hits I'll be a god among men.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So it seems like they are learning some lessons for classic. Unfortunately, they don't seem to understand those lessons and/or why. If they want to greatly reduce loot then they need to do away with the personal loot shit as well.

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
I’d like to take a step back on this subject and look at the big picture.

As has been observed in the Beta, loot quantities overall are reduced in Shadowlands. Following the proclamation “let loot be loot”, we’re entering into a world without Warforging and Titanforging, where getting an item from relevant content should feel rewarding on its own more often, without needing to hope for random upgrades.

Bonus rolls no longer exist, and the Great Vault captures the value they used to provide to raiders. Non-raiders should also factor in the Great Vault, as completing a Mythic Keystone +15 will award a choice of up to three item-level 226 pieces from the Great Vault.

Currently in the Shadowlands Beta / first tier of the expansion, PvP loot for top ratings caps out at item level 226.

While outdoor world gameplay and professions offer a range of epic gear, the very strongest loot in WoW comes from the three organized multiplayer endgame progression paths: Rated PvP, Mythic Keystone dungeons, and raiding. The design intent is for all three paths to provide parallel progression over the course of a tier, while providing players who engage in multiple paths at a comparable level a faster advancement experience. For example, we’re currently targeting item level 213 for Challenger-level PvP, Heroic raiding, or Mythic Keystone dungeons at the +7 difficulty.

Of course, there could be further adjustments to all of this in the weeks to come before Shadowlands launches.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Reducing loot is fucking stupid. That's not what makes Classic fun. In fact, it is the worst part of Classic by far.

Every time I think about going back to Classic I remember in Vanilla when it took us like 16 weeks to see our first Drake Fang Talisman, and then remember it would go to Fury Warriors first in Classic.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I just went on a xmog run for shits in SoO. Brought leather because I had most of the plate from there. Friend was cloth. Mannoroth shoulders drop. Should we kill ourselves now or wait until Shadowlands?

• 2Rustled
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Slightly unrelated but did they change it so you only get transmog credit for items you share an armor class with or was it always restricted that way, I.e I can’t get tmog credit for a cloth piece I put on my shaman? I can’t remember this shit anymore.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The last character I played I just wanted a red bandana I had gotten from some random quest and I couldn't figure out how to have it added to my list of available selections. I went and bought a different bandana that shared the graphic and it still didn't work.

So I too share this question.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Slightly unrelated but did they change it so you only get transmog credit for items you share an armor class with or was it always restricted that way, I.e I can’t get tmog credit for a cloth piece I put on my shaman? I can’t remember this shit anymore.
That is I believe normal. You only get transmog credit if it is something of your "armor type" otherwise warriors would basically be the kings of transmogs because they can equip basically everything.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I thought they had changed it to where if you could wear it, then you would get the transmog. But when I ran SOO a month ago, I wasnt picking up cloth appearances on my Paladin. So I dont think it ever changed.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Reducing loot is fucking stupid. That's not what makes Classic fun. In fact, it is the worst part of Classic by far.

Every time I think about going back to Classic I remember in Vanilla when it took us like 16 weeks to see our first Drake Fang Talisman, and then remember it would go to Fury Warriors first in Classic.

It's amazing how uniformly bad their decisions are. It's a good thing these people aren't doing anything useful. Imagine what the world would look like if these idiots made planes.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Keep in mind that leveling is linear for your first character in SL and you have to do the campaign quests in order. Bastion->Maldraxxus->Ardenweald->Revendreth. If one of them is bugged you're flat out fucked, you can't level. You could grind mobs until they grey out but you can't go to the next zone until you finish the one you're in. Also the zones don't scale so if you level to say 57 and decide to go back and do some Bastion sidequests, they will all be grey and give almost no exp.

My favorite is the end of the night fae play. Jump on dragon to fly 30 ft that way. Can't just walk it, not an optional step, must jump on dragon. Obviously you can't jump on the dragon.

They have fixed and re-broken this quest at least 4 times so far, which says great things about QA, source control and versioning.