World of Warcraft: Current Year

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Brevik went on to Marvel Heroes which was a great game for the limited time it was alive. It folded shortly after he left Gazillion. And the Schaefer brothers made Torchlight.

Though I think Blizzard North is widely regarded as where most of the talent in Blizzard existed at the time.
I loved marvel heroes. I think that game died more from weird financial shennigans more than any failing in the actual game. It was pretty well monetized and seemed to be doing really good with incoming cash.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey, you know how they said they'd talk about monks in a week? That 30 day week finally passed!

Some bug fixes and Energizing Elixir off the GCD (that's a pretty huge improvement for it). Increased stat-scaling for Xuen (Haste) to hopefully make some stats not suck as bad. Changed functionality for a couple covenant abilities. The 142nd claim that they've fixed SEF.
To be fair I don't think they claimed to have fixed it but more acknowledge that is has had a lot of weird bugs and they fixed some and were still working to get the rest sorted.

The exact quote: We’re also aware of many bugs related to Storm, Earth and Fire, particularly in relation to other spells. We’re making every effort to improve the reliability of this ability.

That seems to be a solid acknowledgement of the problems not a hey we fixed it lol type message.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I agree launches are always fun to play at least.

I am shocked booze is even asking, given his history of dislike/hate/rage against retail wow, it shouldn't even be a question of giving them money.

Chances are I am not going to bother, so far I have played the beta a bit and haven't seen anything that has really impressed me. I mean the visuals of the zones are nice but that is always the case, the art team they have, has always carried.

Only thing that would tempt me to play really is for the people in the classic guild, but in general the vast majority of the guys in the classic guild seem to have pretty low interest in Shadowlands overall, they are pretty stoked about the idea of TBC though and we will continue with the forum guild if/when that is released.

My dislike/hate/rage so to speak with retail isn't unfounded, but I can say certain aspects of the game have always been fun or quality to a degree. The dungeons are always fun the first few go arounds, now Diablo 3 running the same M+ for the 873rd time doesn't have the same appeal, and raiding in WoW has always been fun, but it's very short lived when the rest of the game is lacking.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
It's going to be fun for the first month or two, with the initial launch hype, leveling up etc. (I have to assume they will get leveling working at least, although it's been broken for over a month now with no communication or fixes).

Once you hit the max level grind wall it's up to you if you want to continue or wait 6 months for their "robust catchup mechanisms".

I know I shit on Blizzard all the time now but I really do want this expansion to be good. It's looking pretty bad right now with our current beta build one month from release, but maybe they have some magical internal build with everything working.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It legitimately looks and seems to play better than BFA - my strategy is pretty easy, join in on the fun of launch/first few months of new expansion and see how it goes.
That was what I first expected to do, back last year when I cancelled. "I'll be back for the expansion". But as I've basically detoxed myself from WoW, I've felt less and less interested in actually playing the game. The only thing that was mildly interesting would have been the Tower... and then I realized I no longer trusted Blizzard to make it work. Already, its endless content is Dungeons of Norrath redux (make a few maps, place strategically walls to close off sections), they fumbled quite a few time showing off their hand early ("you've been in this tower too long. Now GET OUT, so we can recycle the instance.").

So... pass this time. And probably the next time, and the time after. Even if there is no MMO worth playing at the moment (I hate action combat asian "MMOs").

Jox

Molten Core Raider
It's going to be fun for the first month or two, with the initial launch hype, leveling up etc. (I have to assume they will get leveling working at least, although it's been broken for over a month now with no communication or fixes).

Once you hit the max level grind wall it's up to you if you want to continue or wait 6 months for their "robust catchup mechanisms".

I know I shit on Blizzard all the time now but I really do want this expansion to be good. It's looking pretty bad right now with our current beta build one month from release, but maybe they have some magical internal build with everything working.

Years of gaming have taught me miracle patches don't exist. Not one game, not one time.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
That was what I first expected to do, back last year when I cancelled. "I'll be back for the expansion". But as I've basically detoxed myself from WoW, I've felt less and less interested in actually playing the game. The only thing that was mildly interesting would have been the Tower... and then I realized I no longer trusted Blizzard to make it work. Already, its endless content is Dungeons of Norrath redux (make a few maps, place strategically walls to close off sections), they fumbled quite a few time showing off their hand early ("you've been in this tower too long. Now GET OUT, so we can recycle the instance.").

So... pass this time. And probably the next time, and the time after. Even if there is no MMO worth playing at the moment (I hate action combat asian "MMOs").

I get it - I'm not even super excited, but I just know myself and also know that the most fun I have in MMO's (these days anyways) is the first 3 month window before it turns into a weekly raid/pvp grind. The first handful of dungeons, first raid tier, first M+ is the most fun you can have in the game. For me, it was the same in Classic, was the same in BFA, was the same in Legion (though to be fair, I played and stuck around in Legion far longer than any other xpac and I'm not sure why? we had a good raid group until our l33t forum bro's decided to become Mythic Raidaaars leaving our van on the side of the road - fuckers). I'm personally looking forward to the story (from what we've seen in Beta there are some fairly compelling story threads), leveling up a few of the allied races to cap for the armor (leveling is fast af now), and spending time in yet another beautifully crafted world. Even when the systems are terrible (basically every system in BFA - islands, warfronts, azerite armor, corruption whatever), it's a great world to spend time in leveling up and experiencing and they've knocked it out of the park again in SL.

Also, raytracing - I snagged a 3080 so I'm pumped for pre-patch to drop to see how the game looks with RTX ON

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I agree that the first few months are usually the best when it comes to a new WoW expansion, however I am so abysmally over Blizzard's direction with WoW I am not even interested in that for Shadowlands.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
All I know is that if one the DK legendary crafts by the end of the expansion isn't a new Helm of Domination, they done fucked up.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
My biggest issue with the past few expansion releases have been trying to play multiple specs. For whatever reason, Blizzard does not want to make it easy for someone to switch specs. I personally like healing keys from time to time, but raiding is way better as a dps. It's also beneficial for me to tank early on just to help my guild out. In Legion, legendaries were hard enough to get for 1 spec let alone a second spec. In BFA, Azerite was extremely difficult to get, and very expensive to change if you did it frequently. In Shadowlands, you are going to be locked to a covenant & you will be limited on how many legendaries you can craft early on.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. They always make it more reasonable later on, but it really blows playing a hybrid and not being able to take full advantage of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
There any way to speed up Unshackled/Rustbolt rep for Pathfinder? Also, does Mechagon ever get world quests/is it gated behind something?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
There any way to speed up Unshackled/Rustbolt rep for Pathfinder? Also, does Mechagon ever get world quests/is it gated behind something?
Do the intro quest chain on the isle that takes you up the hill to the junk yard area and complete it. It will unlock the world quest dailies on the island and the daily overall "kill x rare/loot x chests/do x activities" bigger bonus rep thing.

Both of those rep grinds took a little over a week when the bonus rep thing was up. Not sure if that was still active after they turned it back on recently or not. Unshackled got rep from killing rares too if I believe.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Not a fan of the linear progression through Shadowlands, already dislike Bastion and fairy ville. I just want to level up in hardcore metal areas.

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
Not a fan of the linear progression through Shadowlands, already dislike Bastion and fairy ville. I just want to level up in hardcore metal areas.
Leveling is going to take like 10 hours, I'll never understand why people give a shit about it , it's not everquest where it's a actual slog

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
There's a message on the launcher mentioning characters on Khadgar being fucked, which looks like the server the dude in the video is on. Seems like a pretty big fuck up, though.

Fucker

Log Wizard
They had to have had some big database problem a month ago or so. All of my dad's characters just poofed completely.

Amazing that if you don't pay enough money to attract people with experience and talent, that you end up with people that have neither.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just checked my Khadgar toons, where all my Horde alts are (legion garrison gold farmers). They all look fine, but I cant log them in, because I am not subbed, to check over everything. I would be most concerned with loosing the ~3 mil gold across the 10 toons that are 110 or higher. I made all of them in Legion, so, maybe since they are newer, they were saved differently.

I guess the September 17-18 server merger didn't go as planed.
  • Exodar and Medivh will be connected to Alleria and Khadgar.

Last edited: