World of Warcraft: Current Year

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Spot on. If you need artificial tools to tell you how to play a class or a mechanic in an (mmo) rpg there is something wrong very wrong with the game design. I watched Method's progression and without 10000 WAs telling when what and how to react no one would have progressed beyond 1/8 and that is sad. SCOs POV is like 90% addon informations and 10% actual game.

Well IDK why you look at it this way. From Day 1 WOW had a very powerful scripting engine. This led to, shockingly, very powerful scripts being built. In order to counter this and still give a challenge you had to also design raids and dungeons around this fact. Creating a game where you really can't play without it. There's a reason some of the DBM aspects were incorporated into the base game.

For better or for worse. Just look at old school Molten Core. Each boss had maybe one or two mechanics that required a few people had to do something. Like that one dog or whatever that you had to decurse everyone for?

During Legion they removed from the scripting enging features like distance calculation and whatever (maybe this was WOD?) so they could have more design space.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Is Prot War really that shitty though or do people just perceive it that way because they're dumb?
Yes, it's really that way. He quoted representation in logs. This isn't a perception thing. No one but stubborn fools (sup) are playing them for a reason.

These things have a way of turning around, so I don't really care.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yes, it's really that way. He quoted representation in logs. This isn't a perception thing. No one but stubborn fools (sup) are playing them for a reason.

These things have a way of turning around, so I don't really care.

Monk was bottom of the barrel tank in the start of Legion. Didn't stop me because I enjoy the class. RIDE THE WAVE!

• 1Solidarity

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
For better or for worse. Just look at old school Molten Core. Each boss had maybe one or two mechanics that required a few people had to do something. Like that one dog or whatever that you had to decurse everyone for?

During Legion they removed from the scripting enging features like distance calculation and whatever (maybe this was WOD?) so they could have more design space.

That specific fight led to people installing things like early versions of Decursive and whatnot, so that they could quickly see who was cursed in order to remove it. The notion of enhancing your ability to see specific elements of WoW fights goes all the way back to MC and probably even before that. People who are still shocked that UIs can be complicated (and, in turn, make the designers create more complicated encounters) are probably still trying to suck at the EQ teat and loving every second of it.

Distance calculation was removed during Legion, yes.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Newbies can be directed to something like : TellMeWhen Class Rotation Profiles for Patch 8.0/BFA w/Downloads • r/wow to save yourself a lot of headaches as they're easy to setup They're not perfect but can drastically improve the output of even an average player
what's the difference this and Hekili? Which is better?

Edit:If you can get tellmewhen to work properly it is vastly better. I did both on a test dummy and TMW recognized cooldowns and other skills better than Hekili. Hekili is way much easier to set up and use. Only reason why I understood tmw cause it's similar to weakauras. It's not very use friendly but it's more customizable than Hekili.
I

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That specific fight led to people installing things like early versions of Decursive and whatnot, so that they could quickly see who was cursed in order to remove it. The notion of enhancing your ability to see specific elements of WoW fights goes all the way back to MC and probably even before that. People who are still shocked that UIs can be complicated (and, in turn, make the designers create more complicated encounters) are probably still trying to suck at the EQ teat and loving every second of it.

Distance calculation was removed during Legion, yes.

I remember someone in my guild at that time had modified whispercast so that, if you had it, it would detect you were under Curse or something. Then whisper a designated player that you were cursed who also had the addon. This would automatically trigger them to decurse you with no hands required.

Given the size of raids at the time this required some coordination and it was pretty effective. Probably not efficient but it was really cool!

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
But, but, but... there's PET CHARM missions there! If that alone does not justify an entire game mechanic complete with resource farming, I don't know what does!

What is this place you guys are talking about? I need more pet charms. I'm the one single person that wants this dumb cave you guys speak of.

• 1Worf

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I'm finally gonna unlock the defensive tier on my Azerite armor today at which point I'll have to go through my Lando Calrissian-esque closet of alternate gear to see which combination of head, chest and shoulders has the traits I desire. I suspect there will be annoying tradeoffs as it's hard enough trying to build the necessary outfit with just the outer two rings.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
What is so damn hard about King's rest? Had three groups fall apart because they can't do the first boss. The gold only has 115k HP each...

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have an alt that dinged this weekend. His neck was 12. You are telling me you got 7 neck ilvls in 2 days playing casually?

jenniferlawrenceokay.gif
I am ilvl 338. I dinged on Thursday. I did the rest of the campaign quest, some dungeons, my emissary every day and the island expeditions. Just finishing the campaign was like 3 neck levels.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, much of the "skill" in MMO's is installing the right tools/software/UI setup. Or you have someone on Discord telling you what to do who's simply reciting the big text from the center of your screen/repeating your audio triggers.

This is like saying much of the skill in F1 is having the right engine built and the right telemetry and the driver does jack shit. Please stop. WOW isn't held back by the massive amount of information a player can extract from the environment. In fact it thrives because of that fact.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Is Prot War really that shitty though or do people just perceive it that way because they're dumb?

I am sure at a base level it's a bit of both. I have seen complaints about Prot War not keeping agro, if that's the case you are probably missing something in the way you play since agro is still not a problem this xpac. You just can't kite like you could in Legion. Damage Output also isn't the issue, Prot War simply aren't as survivable as other tanks. We still have the base issue that we were never designed since Vanilla to midigate spell damage. The class has changed so much over the years but for a long time tanks had passive damage reduction with big cooldown talents for certain things and we focused on threat management for a long time this is what made a good tank. Hell there was a reason in Vanilla almost no warrior put more than 15 points in the Prot tree. Anyways over time someone at Bliz decided threat shouldn't be a thing but active mitigation was the flavor for them.

WoD War were given some sort of shitty shield absorb thing which in Legion became ignore pain since it was the same thing because captain cunt face says active mitigation. So we have this absorb thing they nerf into the ground at Legion launch but never go back and address you can see Sco bitching about it from them. BOOM overnight in Legion from one of the top tanks to the bottom for the rest of the xpac. Now they have taken that shit off the GCD so it's even worse absorbs less and is in every way shittier than before. Meanwhile if you are playing a Prot War correctly now you can't stack ignore pain ever so you have to pop one in where you think you can fit them. Add to that out defensive cooldowns are used for dps and part of our roation and threat, demo shout, last stand both fundamentally used now not for their original design. Then make us one of the few tank classes that don't get a fucking cheat death mechanic and it's no surprise. Warriors also and forever have lacked any utility.

So are there shit players who don't even know how to play Warrior right now, yes it's slow and similar to Legion but it has still been altered a lot, of course their are. Even so there is enough evidence through logs and represtnetion to clearly see it on top of mountains of anecdotal evidecne from healers just saying certain classes are harder to keep up. War typicall being the shit man on that list.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I call bullshit on that man. I'm not over here farming AP or anything. These guys who have been playing their main since release are only one neck level above my guy who dinged a couple days ago? You have to literally be actively avoiding doing any content.

Surprise surprise, you still won't admit that you don't understand how scaling works.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
What is so damn hard about King's rest? Had three groups fall apart because they can't do the first boss. The gold only has 115k HP each...

If you kill the adds you probably won't kill the boss fast enough. If you don't kill the adds you have to drop the gold well & kite well and/or have some cc, and even then, you have to have decent dps to kill the boss before you come full circle. Healer has to pay fairly good attention as well. All these things combined makes it difficult for your average pug.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am ilvl 338. I dinged on Thursday. I did the rest of the campaign quest, some dungeons, my emissary every day and the island expeditions. Just finishing the campaign was like 3 neck levels.

Yes the final sequence in the campaign/hunt for jaina or horde equivelant is worth an ass load of AP.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Surprise surprise, you still won't admit that you don't understand how scaling works.
I understand how scaling works just fine. My Horde character that's in the FoH guild that I haven't touched in two weeks is also at 18. Did you see me on a lot? Was I banging out content? If you have been playing since the release of BFA and your neck is at 19 you are actively avoiding doing basically any content what so ever.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yes the final sequence in the campaign/hunt for jaina or horde equivelant is worth an ass load of AP.

We hunted for the corpse of some dead admiral so we could resurrect it. Horde admirals not good enough to captain boats I guess!