World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
They mainly addressed the really weird pulls like the 8+ mob pull in atal, the double berserker, double giant troll pull in KR and a few of the shit pulls in temple after the 2nd boss. Not sure what else they changed.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Unrelated to anything but I wish they would add very class-unique things back into the game. They kind of started to with legion and then by the end they were like "haha that was just a prank"

Like, paladins doing more damage to undead targets. (I'd even give you a fair balance in raids and disable that completely fine), but other simple shit like if Brewmaster it was impossible to get drunk on, so any boss like the brewfest boss or the that one brewery dungeon the drunk affects wouldn't touch you at all. Shit like that. Like.. an RPG I guess. Warlocks still sort of have it with enslave demon which is baller, but I want more dammit

Totally agree with you on this, but based on the way they look at things now, we both know it ain't gonna happen. They'd probably give some dumbass neutral response: "It would be unfair for one class to have an advantage over a mob type than another class." Or something along those lines.

Hell, it's the same line of thought as to why racials got fucked nerfed into the earth to the point that they are just flavor perks now. They try something innovative, something that from a role-playing perspective makes sense, then here come a bunch of whiney fucking children crying "it's not fair" and we're right back to mediocrity.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
In vanilla, threat artificially slowing down an encounter was bullshit, but fun in a way. Seeing a boss target me after I blew Arcane Power, forcing the tank to blow a taunt cool down to keep aggro added a level of difficulty and variance, but it doesn't make any sense in how the game works now. If a boss hits a target that's not a tank, that player is dead, and with cleave being so heavily used, you're looking at getting half the raid wiped, and with fewer players and things being tuned so tightly, it's not something they should be fucking with without changing a half dozen other variables.

You'd think after fucking 14 years they'd have this shit figured out by now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The real question is with how fucked up the game is right now, why change something as fucking meaningless as taunt? Like where does that go on their overall design goals? How much of a priority of encounter design does taunt and aggro generation revolve around?

I swear sometimes it feels like WOW devs are just 10 different teams that make their own changes regardless of what the other teams are doing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The real question is with how fucked up the game is right now, why change something as fucking meaningless as taunt? Like where does that go on their overall design goals? How much of a priority of encounter design does taunt and aggro generation revolve around?

I swear sometimes it feels like WOW devs are just 10 different teams that make their own changes regardless of what the other teams are doing.

The revamp dart landed on Taunt on the dartboard that week

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let's be honest for a second. Tank is the most faceroll of all raiding classes and has been for a long time. I don't think I ever actively thought about threat in legion in raids or in dungeons. They should do something to tanks because pressing mitigation when dbm tells you to is as hard as it currently gets.

• 1Repost
  • 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
There must be some outlying condition with taunt generating threat that was buggy or exploitable. I'll bet that you don't actually need the threat from taunt (if you do a proper rotation anyway) and it won't be noticed. It would be nice if they shed some light though as it seems completely asinine without a reason.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The issue is they don't even know what the fuck they want at Blizzard. Do they want tanks to dps or not they cant even figure that out (see all the dps changes for tanks over the last few expacs) Also they cant figure out if they want threat to matter ( see all the back and forth bullshit the last few expacs). Someone at Blizzard is butthurt DH, and DK were kiting their faggoty bullshit in higher M+ because they don't understand nonstop scaling is dogshit game design and Diablo 3 was a fucking failure of a game.

They also can't seem to decide between threat management or active mitigation as the role they want tanks to have. They could even have a little bit of both if they would get over their GCD bullshit. Right now someone needs to throat fuck the entire Blizzard staff with the back end of a broom stick until they get their shit in order. Sadly Alex has become the very cunt he used to despise. I can only imagine the 14 days posts from Him and Tigole if they weren't such pussies these days. They would never put up with the shit they are expecting us to sit through. I am sorry you can take a shit in a waffle cone and hand it to me but don't expect me to believe it's Ice Cream.

• 2Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Let's be honest for a second. Tank is the most faceroll of all raiding classes and has been for a long time. I don't think I ever actively thought about threat in legion in raids or in dungeons. They should do something to tanks because pressing mitigation when dbm tells you to is as hard as it currently gets.
Not sure what you're tanking, but it ain't what I've been tanking. Some encounters are faceroll. Some are not. You'll never convince me that sitting there mashing dps buttons is "harder", because it isn't.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

The level of stupid you continue to put out day and day amazes me. First you try and pretend to not understand heart of azeroth scaling and now you are trying to pretend that DPS isn't the most faceroll of all specs in the game. Just amazing.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
A lot of fights are pretty faceroll but tanking in general is different. Tanks need to be the first people in the raid to get every encounter down 100%. Tanks are sort of the bass players of the raid, they need to be solid and if they fuck up everything goes to shit. Dps are the lead guitarist and healers are the Drummers - the backbone. If a tank fails, the fight is over. The end. If a dps fails who cares.

I think the problem is they're looking at the class on paper rather than in practice. A lot of times the tanks are the leaders, and they're doing more than just taunting and mitigating. They need to know when you move, they need to monitor the cotanks hp and debuffs as well as their own, they need to utilize their cds and the healer cds appropriately.

Each tank plays different too. If you play a druid your rotation is like two buttons and you just eat attacks. If you're a monk you're playing a minigame with brews.

I think the taunt change is dumb. Its making the job harder for no reason other than some asshole felt like they needed it. I know I already quit, but I feel.emotionally invested still.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Someone missed a few zeros lol

They probably used base TSM4 without operations.. Without operations and groups TSM4 sucks monkey shit and will list many things at utter dogshit prices.

m0verynice_m_Orange.jpg

• 1Worf

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We didn't get the whole "boosted threat by 200% while Taunt is active" added to taunts across the board until Mists of Pandaria - specifically, when Siege of Orgrimmar was released in 5.4, anyway.

Before then, Taunt worked exactly as it does in the latest PTR build.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
We didn't get the whole "boosted threat by 200% while Taunt is active" added to taunts across the board until Mists of Pandaria - specifically, when Siege of Orgrimmar was released in 5.4, anyway.

Before then, Taunt worked exactly as it does in the latest PTR build.

You mean it's only been in it's current state since 2013 for the last 5 years? Well thankfully it hasn't been around long enough for people to get used to it.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Hell, it's the same line of thought as to why racials got fucked nerfed into the earth to the point that they are just flavor perks now. They try something innovative, something that from a role-playing perspective makes sense, then here come a bunch of whiney fucking children crying "it's not fair" and we're right back to mediocrity.

In Classic a Night Elf Hunter with Shadowmeld active could cast an Aimed Shot without leaving stealth (you lost stealth when the casting was completed instead of when it was started) and that made Night Elf Hunters almost their own subclass of Hunter. Before you even saw them you had taken an Aimed Shot/Auto/Arcane with more heat on the way. Dwarf Priests had Fear Ward. Fear Ward gave the Alliance a key advantage in fights where fear was part of the encounter. Tremor Totem was just nowhere as good as being 100% sure the tank was never, ever going to be feared.

Personally I'm in the camp of preferring the oddities and imbalances but there's a lot of value in homogeneity. It's just one less thing to worry about when maintaining the game and designing new content. If there's a real, tangible advantage to be had from a particular race or race/class combination than it's going to be the standard. Picture a nightmare scenario of a Mythic raiding guild all race changing to Dark-Iron Dwarf because their click racial dispelled Putrid Blood or something similarly stupid. Fancy racials open up those kinds of doors. Thirty dollar race changes are going to piss people off right quick when they are buying them because one decision they made at character creation ten years ago is keeping them from getting Mythic+ groups, from joining a guild they want to join, or feeling obligated to race change because they don't want to feel like they are holding back their friends and guildmates.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They mainly addressed the really weird pulls like the 8+ mob pull in atal, the double berserker, double giant troll pull in KR and a few of the shit pulls in temple after the 2nd boss. Not sure what else they changed.
Don’t tell anyone but if you clear right to left on Atal that pack isn’t there for some reason and you clear the exact correct amount of mobs.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider

I don't even disagree with what you're saying - tanking is probably the easiest individual task in MMOs. The added components that come with tanking are what adds difficulty (i.e. leading the group/raid, etc).

Despite that, what you're pointing out is completely fucking stupid. The reduction of the additional threat does not impact anyone except the secondary tank when such a mechanic calls for it. It does not add any type of added skill, attention, or anything. All that it will impact is certain classes will need to do nothing or very little following the taunt. That isn't more engaging or challenging, it's dull.

Tanking in MMOs has always been reliant on encounter design to add difficulty - this is why certain encounters are more difficult for tanks and others (most) are faceroll. If you're going to do something to tanks they can make sure to develop content that has layers of complexity which makes them use their current tools in an intelligent manner. Of course, that would require a tad bit more work than Blizzard seems able to do these days.