World of Warcraft: Classic

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So, dynamic respawns are in!

After Stress Test 2, we were as concerned as many of you were about the inability to find enough spawns in the starting zones, so we double-checked our spawn logic, and it turns out there was a bug.

In the original 1.12 data, different spawn regions have different thresholds at which automatic respawning is triggered, but the bug was causing it to ignore these population thresholds. This affects the starting zones more than other zones because they have very aggressive thresholds for triggering respawns, to make sure that you can always progress through your first introduction to the game.

As you level up throughout the later zones, the respawn thresholds aren’t as aggressive, and you start having to compete more in higher level zones. We have verified that we’ve correctly reproduced the 1.12 spawn rates and thresholds throughout the game now, and while the respawn rates you see in Northshire aren’t the same as they are in Un’Goro, they will both be accurate to patch 1.12.

Thanks so much for your feedback, and for helping us find and fix this bug!”

“The same spawn logic applies to mineral nodes, creatures, herbs, etc. Spawn regions can overlap one another, so that creatures and nodes of different types behave differently in the same physical space, and individual spawns, can all have custom overrides. We’re using all the original data to control this behavior.”

This is very nice, but they had this shit, probably even more aggressive, on the private servers and it still sucked. But what can you do.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I thought they would have at least double the amount of PvP servers they are showing there. Man were gonna be on layers for a long fucking time unless like 60% of the plebs quit.

Why? With phasing in place one new server will hold 3x-ish of an old server's pop. right?

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Why? With phasing in place one new server will hold 3x-ish of an old server's pop. right?

If you think the steady US population in game will be at least 500k, which I do, EQ was what, 400k during it's prime? Even Classic WoW should have higher numbers if the hype is any indicator. Maybe I'm completely overestimating how well Classic will do though. If they made their server numbers based on how many played their stress test, they might want to rethink that strategy as it required an active sub and the majority of people I've seen in polls or talked to haven't even been subbed to retail.

Anyway, 11 US realms including the PvE, PvP, RP and RPPVP servers. 500k players. That comes to what, 45,000 people per individual realm? What happens when they merge the layers, or if they don't merge the layers after saying they would? I heard most private servers only had around 10k and they were pretty crazy. Never played one, so I can't say for sure. Still, 45,000 active or semi-active people per server seems like a lot to me, even with layering. Not to mention the PvP servers will likely have more than that since they seemed to have overestimated the amount of people who will end up playing PvE a bit. I'm not saying there won't be plenty on the PvE servers, I'm just saying I don't think their ratio reflects what will happen with server choices.

Also weak names for the PvP servers. They could have done better.

xzi

Mouthbreather
They never said what population cap for a server (or layer now, I guess) would be but in vanilla it was under 3k before you started getting queues. 45k seems intensely unlikely but who knows with blizzard really.

though I agree at least through naxx I'm betting the pop is 300k+, but it'll come and go between content updates cause everything is just gonna be crushed.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe Blizzard figured most people wouldn't go past the first month, cancel sub and / or go back to BFA.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Maybe Blizzard figured most people wouldn't go past the first month, cancel sub and / or go back to BFA.

I honestly think this is what they expect. Between “you think you do but you don’t” and the other smug dipshits at the company that think that BFA design is the way to go. I feel like there are more than a few at Blizzard who want Classic to fail or at least use it to convert people to retail. Otherwise they might have to finally admit they are fucking failures riding the coattails of better men who made WoW to begin with.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Of course they want it to fail. It makes about 90% of the people working on wow meaningless and redundant if it succeeds and bfa tanks

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

Kaivax
Community Manager

We’re going to keep the WoW Classic pre-launch test realms open and available for play through the weekend. Please feel free to test WoW Classic as much as you like.
The pre-launch test will end on Monday, August 12 at 9:00 a.m. PDT. We are not planning an in-game event for shutdown this time.
Thank you very much to everyone who came out and provided the testing we were hoping for! Thanks to you, we’ve been able to fine-tune our plans for launch, and we even captured a few issues that we were able to solve yesterday.
We’ll see you in Azeroth!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tried Horde and Alliance this go-around. I swear to god - in the human starting area at least - all the morons who COULD play, are on alliance.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Tried Horde and Alliance this go-around. I swear to god - in the human starting area at least - all the morons who COULD play, are on alliance.

This is why you go horde. I swear the god, every moron autist will be playing ally.

misery

as someone living in Japan this is highly relevant to my interests as well.

This could be absolute bullshit, but I've heard East coast servers are in Chicago area. West servers are very likely in California. If we go East, that should put you on the exact opposite side of the world?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Then they are severely underestimating the amount of poeple that are going to play this. But I think they have a few more servers in their pocket they can whip out when shit gets too full. Who knows what they are thinking but 9k per server 5 pvp servers?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if they would fully support both games in parallel. Currently, I don't have the time to play and my net interest is negative. That doesn't mean I might change my mind depending on where they go with this. A return to the era where classes were quite distinct. Where player choice and investment was much more pronounced.

Fuck it, reuse 100% of the content but give me tanks, healers, and dps that are starkly different. Full avoidance bears and DKs to push crushing blows off the hit table. That kind of shit was FUN. A class was an actual fucking class, not just a role. DPS warriors toeing the aggro line. Reverse the homogenization trend was kicked into high gear with Cataclysm.

misery

Then they should have a server name and then a layer name too, lol.

I mean if we assume a 400k active playerbase at 3k players per layer and 3 layers per server (9K total players) that's what, 44-45 servers?
I wonder if our expectations are just too high or if theirs are just too low.