World of Warcraft: Classic

Cybsled

The original zones were in need of revamp, though. Flying aside, quest balance / engagement in many of the original zones was pretty iffy and there was a lot of underutilized areas. It also let them update things a bit graphically, since the vanilla zones were fundamentally the same since closed beta.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think before Cata, the Azshara zone had like 1 quest in it? So the revamp was a necessity to some areas.

I think people just missed the non-titangorge gear and talent system. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Blizzard revert a little bit in the next expac to earlier systems from past expansions.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure how I feel about Classic.

I got to level 11 and the game just came to a screeching halt. This was fun 14 years ago because the alternative mmos were EQ GoD or EQ2 (to me) so WoW was a breath of fresh air.

Also I'm having a hard time convincing myself to put time in to Classic when I know it will never get any new content past Naxx and I really dont have the patience to do 40 man raiding.

The nostalgia is nice tho. Seeing some pre-Cata zones is cool.

Noticed this too, I ran out of stuff to do in Teldrassil around lvl 11, and most of the Darkshore quests were still a bit too high (some were technically doable but as a warrior in grey/white items, any equal level add means you have to run or die so it's still pretty slow going with all the running around).

I'm heading to Eastern kingdoms to mix it up with some quests there. Think that's what I used to do back in the day. You either travelled or had to grind some stuff. Having a bunch of rested XP helps a lot too.

I'd be surprised if they don't add TBC at some point. At the very least, they'd get few hundred thousand people to sub again for a few months, that's still millions in revenue.

• 1Like

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Noticed this too, I ran out of stuff to do in Teldrassil around lvl 11, and most of the Darkshore quests were still a bit too high (some were technically doable but as a warrior in grey/white items, any equal level add means you have to run or die so it's still pretty slow going with all the running around).

I'm heading to Eastern kingdoms to mix it up with some quests there. Think that's what I used to do back in the day. You either travelled or had to grind some stuff. Having a bunch of rested XP helps a lot too.

I'd be surprised if they don't add TBC at some point. At the very least, they'd get few hundred thousand people to sub again for a few months, that's still millions in revenue.

Some classes were still a little rough in TBC. I would actually love to play a Wrath server tho.

I thought about doing some of the quests in Elwynn to maybe get a level or two and then give Westfall another shot.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Vanilla had a lot of grinding in it. Never played Ally, but horde for sure had some grindage in it in the late 20s to 30s. There is also a lot of quests that are hidden away and not necessarily in the hubs as well. This becomes apparent if you follow any of the guides they have out for classic. Plus they expected people to go through the dungeons too, which also provides some exp, as dungeon exp was way better at vanilla times compared to current WoW.

But either way, even if you grind the shit out in the dead level zones of questing, this is EZ mode compared to the grindage we were all used to in EQ. I actually enjoy the grind on my hunter its EZ mode. Last night I ground out lv19 just by grinding, about 45 min. Later in the late 20s and early 30s it takes about 1-1.5 hours to grind out a level depending on how efficient you are. This is not hard guys. There is little to no downtime too no matter what class you play.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The original zones were in need of revamp, though. Flying aside, quest balance / engagement in many of the original zones was pretty iffy and there was a lot of underutilized areas. It also let them update things a bit graphically, since the vanilla zones were fundamentally the same since closed beta.

Yeah, they were in need of a revamp, but what they weren't in need of was remakes, which is what they did.

Some visual updates, quest reward tweaks, and maybe a couple fixes here or there for major issues, and it would have been fine.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if Classic would've done as well if Blizzard had never touched the original zones? I feel that Blizzard fucked-up massively with Cata.

Cata was mostly made out of the feedback pertaining to the old world feeling empty for new players since no one went back there. But one of the larger reasons was a push to fly in the older zones, and that couldn't be done because of how they were originally built. (Lots of missing geometry in areas where a player wouldn't be able to physically see unless they were able to fly). I thought it tied in well with the on going story at the time.

I really think the largest part of this is we all grew into the main draw of the lore of Warcraft by playing Wacraft 3 and that main draw of the entire story was Arthas. That can only continue on for so long before it needs to end, and they didn't have any solid writing after the fact. There is also a catch 22 in which the Arthas story line spanned 2 complete different genre's of the IP, and didn't conclude for over a period of 7 years. After that, they had to rely on lore no one really gave a shit about.

ICC and WOTLK was the climax, and after that, WoW went downhill quickly.

What they need to do is hire some writers worth a shit.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Cata was mostly made out of the feedback pertaining to the old world feeling empty for new players since no one went back there. But one of the larger reasons was a push to fly in the older zones, and that couldn't be done because of how they were originally built. (Lots of missing geometry in areas where a player wouldn't be able to physically see unless they were able to fly). I thought it tied in well with the on going story at the time.

I really think the largest part of this is we all grew into the main draw of the lore of Warcraft by playing Wacraft 3 and that main draw of the entire story was Arthas. That can only continue on for so long before it needs to end, and they didn't have any solid writing after the fact. There is also a catch 22 in which the Arthas story line spanned 2 complete different genre's of the IP, and didn't conclude for over a period of 7 years. After that, they had to rely on lore no one really gave a shit about.

ICC and WOTLK was the climax, and after that, WoW went downhill quickly.

What they need to do is hire some writers worth a shit.

90% of people playing wow could give fuck all about story. Its nto the writing that was the downfall of wow, it was catering to faggots that cried that there were not enough quests and it was too hard.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
90% of people playing wow could give fuck all about story. Its nto the writing that was the downfall of wow, it was catering to faggots that cried that there were not enough quests and it was too hard.

Just because you didn't care about the lore doesn't mean only 10% of 12+ million did. You are forgetting the roots of the entire IP. This isn't Destiny. Exit polls for cancelled subs are roughly in the 70% range as listing lack of better story as one of their top 3 reasons they unsubbed.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
So, I stayed home sick yesterday from work, and naturally, I played a boat load of WoW.

Here's the thing. My brother and I played on Whitemane from about 7am up to 2pm central with no queue issues. Then sometime between 2pm and 3pm, the East coast got off work/school, and the server filled up like a motherfucker. The queue jumped to 15,000 and stayed their the rest of the night basically.

Long story short, East coast is going to own these servers. You can NOT login if you get home after the East coast is already logged in. There is no way anyone is making any progress if they are waiting 9 hours to login every night after work/school. Period.

This left me with a level 11 rogue and my brother a 10 rogue on Whitemane that we can't play. They're there collecting dust, but we can't fucking login to play them.

After a few hours I gave up, and created another rogue on some other brand new PvP server (I forget the name now, and honestly who gives a fuck because I want to play on Whitemane damn it). This was a brand fucking new server, and with in a few hours, it was showing FULL.

Fuck Blizzard. Seriously. Fuck them. I don't give them a pass for "oh we didn't realize it would be this popular". No. Fuck that. They are supposed to be the leading MMORPG developer in the industry, and they were either absolutely clueless OR didn't give a fuck because they should have just maxed the fucking layers out on those servers, and then offer transfers to NEW servers a couple months from now.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Ut has a point. Their focus on narrative since WoD indicates they do see it as a priority, and their priorities tend to be based on general feedback

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So, I stayed home sick yesterday from work, and naturally, I played a boat load of WoW.

Here's the thing. My brother and I played on Whitemane from about 7am up to 2pm central with no queue issues. Then sometime between 2pm and 3pm, the East coast got off work/school, and the server filled up like a motherfucker. The queue jumped to 15,000 and stayed their the rest of the night basically.

Long story short, East coast is going to own these servers. You can NOT login if you get home after the East coast is already logged in. There is no way anyone is making any progress if they are waiting 9 hours to login every night after work/school. Period.

This left me with a level 11 rogue and my brother a 10 rogue on Whitemane that we can't play. They're there collecting dust, but we can't fucking login to play them.

After a few hours I gave up, and created another rogue on some other brand new PvP server (I forget the name now, and honestly who gives a fuck because I want to play on Whitemane damn it). This was a brand fucking new server, and with in a few hours, it was showing FULL.

Fuck Blizzard. Seriously. Fuck them. I don't give them a pass for "oh we didn't realize it would be this popular". No. Fuck that. They are supposed to be the leading MMORPG developer in the industry, and they were either absolutely clueless OR didn't give a fuck because they should have just maxed the fucking layers out on those servers, and then offer transfers to NEW servers a couple months from now.

If you stayed home yesterday, why did you log off? I was home as well, logged on at 1030 AM after reset and stayed on till 1AM today.

I should of just pulled a marathon now that I think about it from launch, all night, then all day yesterday , but my body is getting old. My ass starts to hurt from sitting there all day, lol.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The key failing of the WOW story was its devolving into everyone being the Hero fo the Realm and all that garbage. No, you are an adventurer in a dangerous world. You can find your e-fame within the community and maybe some quests that are particularly difficult and rewarding. But otherwise your character is just a dude in Azeroth.

Nah, now everyone is the Garrison Commander, Champion of the Dragons, Lord Vanquisher of all... and all that shit.

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Incorrect. Its key failing in storytelling is trying to do a faction war AGAIN.

No one cares about a faction war story.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ut has a point. Their focus on narrative since WoD indicates they do see it as a priority, and their priorities tend to be based on general feedback

I guess im forgetting who the majority of wow audience really is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
You can largely avoid "mass grinding" by just killing shit constantly between quest objectives/mobs you're going to grind for quests etc. I am almost 1.5 levels ahead of the Classicwow.live quest guide I'm following by doing this and it's making it way easier as a warrior rather than being underleveled.

• 1Truth!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WoW needed better writers because they turned it into a single player adventure game. If they had stuck with it being an open world game where the players made their own adventures, they wouldn't have had that problem in the first place. Instead, they chose to make it an entirely guided experience, and the lack of quality writing became all the more apparent as a result.

• 8Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 8 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They're doing rolling restarts on all classic realms starting basically now going for an hour. If you've had trouble getting in next little bit will be a good shot to get in and stay in

• 1Like