World of Warcraft: Classic

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It's really a brilliant business decision. They know that everyone is wanting to take a trip down memory lane the walk is a good year plus random resubs afterwards. What I like about their decision is they mentioned hiring a dedicated team to this cause. I bet this isn't your typical classic either. I bet they put some time and effort into tweaking some things and making decisions that only hindsight can provide. I hope this comes out after a few months of PoP. I really want to hit the Planes on Agnarr and complete PoT. After that I'll just want me EQ fix every now and again. For me, I'll need to know what this thing is intended to be, will their be rules, events, or differences from true vanilla.

Blizzard has tons of money, so admire them throwing players a bone. As others have stated, WoW emu have brought 100k's and so this thing could grab 300k-500k probably relatively easy. That's a nice chunk of change at a sub price.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
I really wonder where they are going to start. Some pretty huge bugs that eventually got patched out. Seal Fate + ambush = 4 cp. Barman Pre Weapon Normalization ~1200 ambush followed by a 1k+ evisc. dropped anyone wearing cloth.

Hunter deadzone?
Double Trinket + AP + POM + Pyro insta deads?

Also any former member of Transcendence on ZJ, you know you are bound by blood to come back for this.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ya'll ready for your WoW: Classic to come out during the WoW: Classic Expansion where you playin' your Warfronts: Classic Warcraft?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't wait to see this flop on the first month and we can rename this thread to WOW Classic You Thought You Did But You Didnt.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
In. Won't go ham with it, probably just level up alts and run some 5 man stuff, but it'll be awesome to get some nostalgia going on the side, especially since I'm distinctly unexcited by the new xpac.

Argarth

On the verandah
Out of all the thousands of past or present Vanilla WoW EMU players... how many of them have ever paid anyone a sub for the privilege?

You know, real money. The stuff that Blizzard is going to charge.

Just a rough guess will do.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I wonder if they're going to do the whole AQ gates opening again and let people get Scarab Lord on this server. Also vanilla Naxx and Atiesh.

It's going to be a hilarious clusterfuck if they let people get Scarab Lord title and the mount again, there will be like 5000 people trying to do it this time.

edit: especially if that shit ends up being account wide. lulz will be had.

• 1Solidarity

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Can't wait to see this flop on the first month and we can rename this thread to WOW Classic You Thought You Did But You Didnt.

This whole line of thinking doesn't have much weight when there are hundreds of thousands of people joining private servers for this content. And before the, "yeah but it's free" counter, there are other stages of emulated servers available and classic is still extremely popular even among free servers.

What's going to be really funny is when it comes out and becomes the most populated and active servers and you guys that think it will fail are sitting there with stunned looks on your faces.

People actually know what they want and you can bet your ass Blizzard saw the potential and opportunity to make bank or they wouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Azrayne

Out of all the thousands of past or present Vanilla WoW EMU players... how many of them have ever paid anyone a sub for the privilege?

None, because nobody is stupid enough to give money to a bunch of random nerds who'll eventually tank their own server or get a cease & desist from Blizzard. It's a whole different ballgame if you know your character isn't going to vanish after 6 months (or for that matter if the server is just stable and has a decent ping).

• 1Solidarity

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Paid an emu a sub? Zero. Paid a WoW sub at some point? I think its a safe guess that its a large majority.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Uh the vast majority? Probably 99%.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Will preface this by saying that i'm a huge vanilla WoW fan - played on at least half of a dozens emu servers over the years. Haven't played retail WoW since TBC.

Anyways, i'm salty. I don't doubt that they'll milk some cash here, but i also feel that it's too little, too late. I think that many players seeking that vanilla thrill have moved on.

There have been a few decent vanilla emu servers over the past few years and i can say for myself that the itch has been scratched.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
I mean look what eq managed(es) to pull back from its progression servers. This game had what 16 something million players at its peak. I would wager to say they get at least 750k player interest. Will some people get turned off when they remember how "hard" vanilla was, sure. Bare minimum it has enough to keep an entire server shard full. Especially as people will filter back and forth between content lulls with their new expansions going forward.

I'd bet a dollar you will see WoW classic Expansions released during content lulls on live.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I bet it gets a couple hundred thousand. I dont know about 750k but over 100k for sure.

royo

Trakanon Raider
People actually know what they want and you can bet your ass Blizzard saw the potential and opportunity to make bank or they wouldn't be doing it in the first place.

People want all the good parts they remember about vanilla, it will get quite a bit of traction and it will have a stable crowd playing it for a while, but very few people will love the lack of tools for finding groups or raids, which make content accessible for everyone nowadays.

Azrayne

Even if it's half that or less, it still seems like basically free cash.

I have to admit I do hope this will evolve into some kind of EQ style progression server system going forward, since there are multiple periods in WoW's history I skipped for various reasons and would love to have a chance to play properly (most of BC, mid/late Cata). Not sure how exactly they'd work it, but just saying, there are a lot of possibilities.

People want all the good parts they remember about vanilla, it will get quite a bit of traction and it will have a stable crowd playing it for a while, but very few people will love the lack of tools for finding groups or raids, which make content accessible for everyone nowadays.

They don't really need everyone to love that stuff though, they just need enough demand for a core crowd who'll slog through the oldschool stuff for the sake of it (or the pretty huge number of younger players who didn't get to play vanilla the first time around - I'm constantly running into people who's first WoW experience was BC/Wrath because they were too young when it came out), ballooned by the "well there's nothing to do until the next patch so I'll go level a vanilla alt" crowd. For everyone for whom it would be a dedicated time sink, there are a ton for whom it would be the difference between cancelling their sub for a couple months or not.

Case in point: I'm really stoked about this, even though I'd rather rub my ballsack on a cheese grater than go back to raiding BWL/AQ/Naxx the way I did back in 05/06. But there's still a whole ton of cool shit I'd love to try out. I never levelled an alliance character above 20 or so until Wrath, because everyone I knew was always on Horde, so a chance to play through that content as it was meant to be played would be worth the price of entry alone.

Last edited: