World of Warcraft: Classic

xzi

Mouthbreather
You don't have to remind 90% of us how shit vanilla was, we're all pretty aware. This forum also plays on EQ emu servers lmao

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
After EQ and DAOC, vanilla WoW will always feel like an entire qol game. It's the twin turbo version of all the games I played before it. The current version is designed around complaints I never really had.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Given how utterly unenjoyable pretty much all the level 30+ Kalimdor questing zones were, that hardly improved the quality of life.

The 30ish level range was lacking a lot of questing content, which Dustwallow's revamp helped to fix. It was bad enough that travelling from EK and making the trek into shimmering flats for like ~5 quests was worthwhile as Alliance.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I don't know why so many of you hated the Vanilla grind if you came from EQ. The vanilla grind felt like baby mode coming from Everquest. I did all the small zones with only a few quests like Swamp of Sorrows and such and that meant I really only had go grind 4-5 levels without quests, and I actually enjoyed trying to find the best spot and trying to maximize my exp/hour rate. I ended up in Azshara AoE'ing hippgroyphs (Druid) because they had the best balance of loot/exp (lots of grey feathers that sold well to merchants, also dropped materials for Tribal Leatherworking). I got maybe 3 levels total from soloing Arcanist Doan around 37-45 and another 3 or so total grinding in Azshara or Winterspring, the rest were all quests that I enjoyed the first time around.

It was still fun to explore back then. You never knew what you'd find around the next bend. is there a little town over there? Are there secret quests down here? It was so much fun finding little spots. I guess that's why I really loved the underused zones that only had a few quests, because they felt that much more mysterious and exciting and I had a sense of pride in finding even level quests in random places most people didn't bother with.

Dunno man, the grind just didn't even really feel like a grind to me having come from Everquest.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I didn't mind the questing in vanilla at all, despite its many flaws. If anything, I found it fun to learn where all the quests were and when the best time to do them was. I became something of a "sage" when it came to a lot of the leveling experience that my friends and guildmates would turn to with questions, and for random trivia. As someone that played both factions in Vanilla, I also had the benefit of dragging my guildmates into content that was more accessible/designed for the opposite faction, like dragging my buddies into gnomer as horde before the transporters were in-place. My knowledge of it all also allowed me to skip grinding mobs for XP, which I know many people ended up doing at certain points.

Would I mind it now if I went back to it/classic? Yeah, most definitely. I've been spoiled too long to appreciate the value of the negative aspects of it. But by god was it a great experience when it was all relevant.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I ground out 58 to 60 after clearing the eastern plagued in Winterspring on Furbolgs and giants only because it was the safest place for a mage on a pvp server. Little did I know I should've held onto those beads for rep and instead sold them so I could buy an epic mount.... Which I guess was a win/lose situation being one of the first with an epic mount on the server.

Speaking of the 1.12 patch, I'm sad that's after they changed the epic mounts to have stupid armor on them. The original alliance epic horse was one of my favorites. They added a similar horse to BfA with all the new horse mounts, but it's not the same as that original glorious white horse. #stillbutthurtblizzwontgiveittomebecauseifactionracechangedmymage

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I never got the annoyance for vanilla wow leveling since a lot of our previous experience was killing the same frog ghoul over and over for hours at a time.

• 7Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I ground out 58 to 60 after clearing the eastern plagued in Winterspring on Furbolgs and giants only because it was the safest place for a mage on a pvp server. Little did I know I should've held onto those beads for rep and instead sold them so I could buy an epic mount.... Which I guess was a win/lose situation being one of the first with an epic mount on the server.

Speaking of the 1.12 patch, I'm sad that's after they changed the epic mounts to have stupid armor on them. The original alliance epic horse was one of my favorites. They added a similar horse to BfA with all the new horse mounts, but it's not the same as that original glorious white horse. #stillbutthurtblizzwontgiveittomebecauseifactionracechangedmymage

Yeah I still have the pre armor Night Elf Epic Cat. It's like one of the rarest mounts in the game since most people traded their unarmored ones in for the armored ones when they came out and let you exchange them. Fools!

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Original NElf mounts were cool, but the speed rams/chickens were better.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This...

50575-white-stallion-bridle.jpg

VS. This... Really...

250070.jpg

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never got the annoyance for vanilla wow leveling since a lot of our previous experience was killing the same frog ghoul over and over for hours at a time.
Since that was in large groups, that part didn't bug me at all. It was the LFG part and not getting one fast enough to make it worth moving all the way down to that camp for tonight that sucked.

nisser

Trakanon Raider
Still convinced reality is gonna shatter some peoples dreams with this pretty hard with a lot of the really crappy things they forgot about too that were fixed with QOL changes. However, I hope it's a stepping stone to a progression server type setup where there's a regularly new one frequently to push through tiers of content again. without scaling causing stuff to be instagibbed etc.

Why do people keep saying that still after a dozen or so emu servers? We've all gone and tried them again and realized its NOT all just nostalgia.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If people want to play their single player mcmmo there is modern WoW. The plunging subscription numbers indicate not everyone does though.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why do people keep saying that still after a dozen or so emu servers? We've all gone and tried them again and realized its NOT all just nostalgia.

Its fun to experience old content again but the guilds and people overall on EMU servers are horrible. You would think you were playing with the Michael Jordans of gaming when you read EMU guilds websites and those guilds are some of the worst I have ever seen in any game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I don't know. In 2005 this was all new and in some ways better than EQ and you know Blizzard, Warcraft and stuff. But nowadays I can't even bring myself to level my allied races because I've done it 20 times before so not sure about the whole grinding mobs just for the sake of leveling and many other not existing QoL features in Classic. Also I don't think the crowd or better the mindset is the same like back then. People will do the elitist thingie and race to Naxx and then KThxbye leaving only the #no changes peeps with their "louder than everyone" attitude.

Last edited:

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The grieving on PVP server is what made vanilla wow a nice and refreshing experience after EQ. If there will be a pvp server, I'll be on it, arm warrior, getting eaten by mages but mowing down rogues and hunters. A lot of people I know started wow during BC or WotLK, and never experienced Vanilla, so I hope they will be easy prey.

• 1Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
The ganking on pvp servers is going to be biblical. They’ll time gate raids leaving all those level 60 rogues nothing better to do.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Looking forward to being part of the mayham either way. Feed me something or feed me to something. I just want to be part of the food chain.