World of Warcraft: Classic

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I know it takes programming resources but why don't they add some zone lines in places where it wouldn't matter, so they can split the world up into servers? Between contested/safe areas, for example. Could drastically increase player pop per server that way. So all the players group in Org/IF, who cares if those cities are laggy?
That might require someone doing something! Blizzard is anti-doing things. ESPECIALLY helpful things.

This is actually already happening in their technology called phasing. It's just "seamless" because of how they are doing handoffs. Continents and areas of the game are a multitude of microservices that you jump around on.

The queue is more about preventing a large influx at a time that then cause a cascade event. It would still happen even if they had defined zone lines with separate physical servers because you can't guarantee where that person will log into but you can bet it's a city so imagine 5k people all clicking log on in a 5-20 minute window and crashing Org and then bouncing up and down as they crash and log back in.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
This is actually already happening in their technology called phasing. It's just "seamless" because of how they are doing handoffs. Continents and areas of the game are a multitude of microservices that you jump around on.

The queue is more about preventing a large influx at a time that then cause a cascade event. It would still happen even if they had defined zone lines with separate physical servers because you can't guarantee where that person will log into but you can bet it's a city so imagine 5k people all clicking log on in a 5-20 minute window and crashing Org and then bouncing up and down as they crash and log back in.

Thats not whats going on they aren't limiting login "rate" they are limiting total people on the server at once.

If they are limiting login rate than a 2000 person queue taking 3+ hours means they are throttling it to what... 1 person per minute?

Not reasonable. They are putting a cap on total server population and not letting anyone on until someone signs off. Which is ridiculous.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Thats not whats going on they aren't limiting login "rate" they are limiting total people on the server at once.

If they are limiting login rate than a 2000 person queue taking 3+ hours means they are throttling it to what... 1 person per minute?

Not reasonable. They are putting a cap on total server population and not letting anyone on until someone signs off. Which is ridiculous.
It combines together because nobody is leaving the capital city because they are waiting for their friends. I agree with what you are saying but I think they had to make a compromise somewhere. Maybe they are triggering it from people in capital cities only? Don't know and the science to figure that out from the user side would be interesting.

A "server" though now is a cluster of probably 20-30 servers, maybe more though.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
It combines together because nobody is leaving the capital city because they are waiting for their friends. I agree with what you are saying but I think they had to make a compromise somewhere. Maybe they are triggering it from people in capital cities only? Don't know and the science to figure that out from the user side would be interesting.

A "server" though now is a cluster of probably 20-30 servers, maybe more though.

Why not have a zone line at the big city entrances, and let those cities lag to shit if people want to camp there? Who cares if the city is laggy?

Would be much better for the city to be laggy, but you can get on, do your bank shit, find a group, and get in the game.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande

Right, but layering would put in more instances of capital cities, thus eliminating that issue. They don't want to do it because of World Bosses I guess, but at this point most people don't give a rats ass about them and perhaps they could figure out a way to limit world boss spawns.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Why not have a zone line at the big city entrances, and let those cities lag to shit if people want to camp there? Who cares if the city is laggy?

Would be much better for the city to be laggy, but you can get on, do your bank shit, find a group, and get in the game.
Because it then crashes and brings the world server down which then comes on with people already there which then dumps the login queue too fast which then cascades. It's a race event to the bottom and you see it every single time a new MMO launches.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Because it then crashes and brings the world server down which then comes on with people already there which then dumps the login queue too fast which then cascades. It's a race event to the bottom and you see it every single time a new MMO launches.

I guess I could be being an asshole but maybe they should fix whatever causes it to crash when it gets a lot of users rather than just get slower. There's a fucking idea.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I guess I could be being an asshole but maybe they should fix whatever causes it to crash when it gets a lot of users rather than just get slower. There's a fucking idea.
The fix is throw a fuckton of hardware at it and then in 3-4 weeks when this is over you have a fuckton of hardware wasted.

In the meantime you don't actually lose that many subs (they are watching) because these people are battered wives that keep coming back. You definitely lose less subs than it would be to throw more hardware at it.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The fix is throw a fuckton of hardware at it and then in 3-4 weeks when this is over you have a fuckton of hardware wasted.

In the meantime you don't actually lose that many subs (they are watching) because these people are battered wives that keep coming back. You definitely lose less subs than it would be to throw more hardware at it.

Thats not the fix, there is no reason software should be "crashing" rather than just slowing down.

If in 15 years nobody has actually debugged and found and fixed the race condition or deadlock that causes the server to actually "crash" that is some piss poor fucking software team.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Thats not the fix, there is no reason software should be "crashing" rather than just slowing down.

If in 15 years nobody has actually debugged and found and fixed the race condition or deadlock that causes the server to actually "crash" that is some piss poor fucking software team.
You are kidding right? Software has limits in scalability. This is a thing and always has been. We do have limits in this world.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You are kidding right? Software has limits in scalability. This is a thing and always has been. We do have limits in this world.

* Looks over at computer science degree
* Reminisces on national launches of household name million+ concurrent user services on which he was a lead developer

Ok

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You ran those on a single 386 then?

No. Actually 8 application servers hitting one database. The hardware was a joke compared to what Blizzard could have now. There is absolutely no excuse for this other than shitty architecture and shitty software people.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
No. Actually 8 application servers hitting one database. The hardware was a joke compared to what Blizzard could have now. There is absolutely no excuse for this other than shitty architecture and shitty software people.
So your application that was handling minor data throughput and had 8 load balancers in front of it ran well back in the early 2k and so you think you have it figured out and Blizzard does not.

I do this for a living also and you don't but hey fuck me because you just don't like me and you used to do it on a much smaller scale back in the day.

Got it. You don't care you are just mad about a game that you aren't even playing.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So your application that was handling minor data throughput and had 8 load balancers in front of it ran well back in the early 2k and so you think you have it figured out and Blizzard does not.

I do this for a living also and you don't but hey fuck me because you just don't like me and you used to do it on a much smaller scale back in the day.

Got it. You don't care you are just mad about a game that you aren't even playing.

I get it, you're saying it's impossible for Blizzard to fix their software and the only solution is more hardware. Is that really your position?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Cad Cad @a_skeleton_03 Just log in and gank gnomes with your boys

1586373265215.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
We can certainly argue over all sorts of possible solutions, but maybe before we get to that lets turn off the fucking water if the sink is overflowing.

giphy.gif

TURN OFF TRANSFERS INTO THESE REALMS YOU DUMB FUCKS!!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user