Tranny Chaser
And his auction mule

cho.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
So their "fix" that they had to test for three days was just to offer free transfers to these three excellent realms:

pBueppb.jpg

8DkC9CW.jpg

dz1I3i2.jpg

I figured they'd do something lazy like turning layering on again but this is so much better. brb transferring to Thalnos (no one is taking the transfers)

2k horde transferred off Incendius.Couldn’t take us dumpstering them anymore.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
2k horde transferred off Incendius.Couldn’t take us dumpstering them anymore.

Hopefully this doesn't tip the faction balance to the point where it cascades into another Heartseeker/Stalagg/Skeram. Need some Alliance to leave too!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Dinged 44 last night. Also made a troll hunter alt named Trollsevelt.

• 2Like
  • 1Ding!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I get it, you're saying it's impossible for Blizzard to fix their software and the only solution is more hardware. Is that really your position?
That's the position of about 98% of all specialty software ever developed.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I have come to the conclusion that Blizzard hates classic:

The beancounters say "why do we have to invest into it, it was already done and out 15 years ago", so Classic has a skeleton crew to keep the lights on while they work on the next phase and/or BC.

The live team hates classic because people compare them and claim that classic has more "social interaction", while the current generation of raid leaders developing retail WoW are used to people coming to them and bossing people around, so they don't get this whole "social" thing.

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I started on Westfall because of an asshole coworker (which was like 80/20 alliance and essentially dead for horde) and moved to Mankrik which is super lively and doesn’t have a q.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Prime time queues are pretty nuts, but the queue didn't start until around 3pm today. If you log in in the morning, you should be ok.

Sucks for anyone who is an essential worker though.

• 1Truth!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Prime time queues are pretty nuts, but the queue didn't start until around 3pm today. If you log in in the morning, you should be ok.

Sucks for anyone who is an essential worker though.
Essential worker or anyone who doesn't really wanna play WoW all day. Or baby sit it all day.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Didn't the private servers have like 18k on concurrently at some point? It's too bad blizz can't afford to hire people that care about their products.
If you have ever worked in any large organization that uses "legacy software", you will find that you are never able to afford the redesign of your software. The only major redesigns are always in commodity software - that is, software that is used by multiple customers. For internally-developed software, you patch, but you never redesign. If your software slows to a crawl, throwing hardware at it will cost you less than rewriting it from scratch, which is what would be the real solution.

I know, I've been fighting this battle for 6 years now. We are using an ERP that was written specifically for us in 2002. Maintaining it costs the IT department 20% of its entire budget.

Replacing it would require 3 years and the entire IT budget for more than a year. So, we buy more octocore processor boards and larger raid arrays, and the ERP chugs along.

And this happens in pretty much any company, until something really breaks.

Those emus wrote their software from scratch, with different constraints than the architecture developped by Blizzard over fifteen years. I am not surprised they literally cannot redo it. Almost no company can. I am always astonished they even managed to create micro-instancing (which is probably a kludge that would make an engineer cry in horror if he saw the actual code, and probably cost a lot in terms of overall performance).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
For internally-developed software, you patch, but you never redesign. If your software slows to a crawl, throwing hardware at it will cost you less than rewriting it from scratch, which is what would be the real solution.
There is a term called "technical debt" for it. The academia part of computer science has acknowledged the problem and has developed a whole array of tools and techniques, ranging from debuggers/profilers to refactoring, unit tests, code and coverage analysis and more. Some even claim to have code analysis powered by artificial intelligence.

There are several problems why this did not take off:
  • There is some really fucked up code out there made by people that couldn't give a damn except for their paycheck. I have seen a fair share of it. Some of it runs in a low level protocol driver for MRI machines.
  • Corporate culture does not incentivize making your software better if there isn't any problem yet. As soon as you touch anything you are held accountable if something on the other end falls off and breaks. Also, IT isn't paid for fixing problems ahead of time: The beancounters would sooner cut the IT budget to invest for a coke and hookers party for themselves to circlejerk how they reduced costs.
  • The whole set of tools and techniques currently fall mostly flat as soon as your software runs distributed, especially in the modern microservices paradigm. MMO games are by definition distributed.
Today software is developed by Indians that paid for their degree and that copy Stackoverflow example code. But at the same time that is our best defense against a rogue AI that is going to kill as all: As soon as it tries to incorporate Stackoverflow code it would kill itself.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could someone please kindly drop a note here when we are able to log into the game at 4 or 5 pm and then play? I'd love to say I can be logged in and/or monitoring the damn thing for 8 hours prior to playing, but that's not possible.

Hope to see the fam soon!

• 1Like