World of Warcraft: Classic

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most of my desire to play vanilla is linked to my brothers and I all playing together in the same house between the date the game came out and New Years... then going back to college and having like 8 of us on the same floor always playing together.

Without that type of in person community I think I’ll get bored pretty quickly... maybe Discord or having voice chat will replace that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Getting in some value time in preparation of paternity leave

si5YRHL.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
never played WoW other than doing the level 1-20 trial a couple times

but lately my gaming time is devoted to doing The Al'Kabor Project, which tries for total accuracy Planes of Power / year 2002 era EverQuest, and gets pretty close, including the actual client from 2002

vanilla WoW should still seem like an upgrade in QoL for me?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

but lately my gaming time is devoted to doing The Al'Kabor Project, which tries for total accuracy Planes of Power / year 2002 era EverQuest, and gets pretty close, including the actual client from 2002

Yes absolutely.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Levelled a druid to 15 on a private server, wondered why natures grasp talent never procced even with all talent points in it. Had forgotten it was a skill not a passive lol

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

So as a P1999 player, does that mean I'd need two clients?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So as a P1999 player, does that mean I'd need two clients?

For Al'Kabor? Yeah you'd need the Al'Kabor client. It's already fully (well, mostly) assembled and freely available for download on their wiki tho Getting Started - The Al'Kabor Project Wiki

Recommend also adding the improved eqgame.dll under "Limiting your framerate" (it's got a bunch of improvements beyond just that, the wiki just needs some editing for clarification after years of small edits) and potentially the "Hybrid graphics fix" depending on your graphics chipset.

Way easier than getting P99 up and running for the first time tho.

Last edited:

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I've been playing on these private servers regularly since Emerald Dream and most recently on Northdale (Light's Hope). As time has passed, i've changed my approach to the game and have progressed to being able to raid regularly while having a full time 9-5 job, a wife and 2 kids.

In reality, most of us remember the 2004-2006 WoW in a neckbeard light, but only because most of us WERE neckbeards back then and a lot of us were coming from EQ - which was the epitome of neckbearding if you wanted to be successful. Most of us were 15-25 year olds in high school or college, playing 12 hours a day and failing at everything BUT the game. Meanwhile, it took some time to figure it out, but the game is super fucking easy. MC + Ony take under 2 hours and that's in a mediocre guild. The prep for MC and Ony takes a few hours per week. Getting to 60 can take about a month, but that's the standard curve. There's no realistic rush. And taking all of this into account, Classic will be exactly the same as these private servers have been.

The current 20-30 year old neckbeards who grind ranks, farm Devilsaurs, split raid etc. shouldn't be the standard, so no one should worry about having the time to play. Shit is ez.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I forgot how much of a twat people are about spawned mobs and quest items. I have had spawned quest items looted a bunch of times while I cleared the mobs guarding it. Today I had a spawned mob taken three times in a row by people. Pretty annoying.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I forgot how much of a twat people are about spawned mobs and quest items. I have had spawned quest items looted a bunch of times while I cleared the mobs guarding it. Today I had a spawned mob taken three times in a row by people. Pretty annoying.

Just invite people. I've found people on Lights Hope to be very friendly and co-operative.

I've been playing on these private servers regularly since Emerald Dream and most recently on Northdale (Light's Hope). As time has passed, i've changed my approach to the game and have progressed to being able to raid regularly while having a full time 9-5 job, a wife and 2 kids.

I'm Alliance on Northdale, you?

In reality, most of us remember the 2004-2006 WoW in a neckbeard light, but only because most of us WERE neckbeards back then and a lot of us were coming from EQ - which was the epitome of neckbearding if you wanted to be successful. Most of us were 15-25 year olds in high school or college, playing 12 hours a day and failing at everything BUT the game. Meanwhile, it took some time to figure it out, but the game is super fucking easy. MC + Ony take under 2 hours and that's in a mediocre guild. The prep for MC and Ony takes a few hours per week. Getting to 60 can take about a month, but that's the standard curve. There's no realistic rush. And taking all of this into account, Classic will be exactly the same as these private servers have been.

Good to know

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
If BoA subs are really only 1.4 million then I think Classic is actually going outpace the main game. The only question is how much higher can it go. If it happens I guarantee there eventually be a 1.13 patch with new content.

There were so many untapped zones that had very light content.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think classic will outpace it a fair amount for a while, but will die down hard once people get tired of the issues that come along with it. The inevitable WOTLK sequel expansion (Warlords of Northrend?) will be the thing that brings standard back to the forefront.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
You said spawned mobs, if there are people around clearly waiting for an npc to spawn then start a group. I did it today in Darkshore for that collector quest and the grimclaw one.
If that was the case I would have. I also referenced spawned mobs and ground spawned quest items. Regardless your point is well taken.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I think classic will outpace it a fair amount for a while, but will die down hard once people get tired of the issues that come along with it. The inevitable WOTLK sequel expansion (Warlords of Northrend?) will be the thing that brings standard back to the forefront.

I very much hope Classic outpaces whatever internal estimates Blizzard has, even the most optimistic ones, so they have to face up to the indisputable proof that they've been on the wrong track and have been for a while.

"Let's just branch off with an entirely new expansion and time line" levels of success is what I want to see.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I'm sure I'm going to load this up, but the reality is I have a wife, two kids, two business, and a shit ton of other stuff going on. There is just zero way I can be competitive. It's very difficult for me to go from my original Vanilla experience to being some uncompetitive and unreliable person who can't even make half the raids due to RL stuff. I can't be the only one in this type of situation.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I very much hope Classic outpaces whatever internal estimates Blizzard has, even the most optimistic ones, so they have to face up to the indisputable proof that they've been on the wrong track and have been for a while.

"Let's just branch off with an entirely new expansion and time line" levels of success is what I want to see.
We have to go back

FC5EEEB6-1F27-4AF7-ABC8-A5BB6D05F377.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users