World of Warcraft: Classic

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well a lot of these non classic changes were on the big WoW EMU servers. So I think its fairly comparable .

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Watching this. The buff changes on private servers made raiding much much easier than on live.

I'm glad that video clarified the world buff situation - having world buffs out my ass on a private server was a real "why didn't we think of that" moment but if it's not blizz like then that is understandable

What about ZG buff? That one is better than ony because it persists through death. So annoying to lose world buffs after getting the vael debuff

Were dire maul tribute buffs a thing in retail?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Watching this. The buff changes on private servers made raiding much much easier than on live.

Armor reduction abilities didn't stack in any way. You couldn't even cast Faerie Fire on a target with Sunder. "A more powerful spell is on the target."

Also, +healing absolutely applied to Regrowth's HOT. Same as above, you couldn't cast Regrowth if someone else had higher +Healing making their Regrowth HOT buff more powerful (same for Rejuv). Meant you didn't want more than one druid on tank duty or they were relegated to Rank 4 Healing Touch spam. Also I specifically remember the healing tick amount. 1200 over 21 seconds, every 3 seconds, or 7 ticks base of ~171 healing. Late BWL Regrowth was ticking for 290-300.

Early game, +Healing(+Spell damage) didn't exist so there wasn't anything modifying the power of your spells other than rank and number of times you could cast before going OOM. Those were the dark times for casters.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I played on Nost/Anathema with a raiding guild, we got through BWL and downed Nef twice before it fell apart. Classic will certainly be different from private servers but also from actual Vanilla. During actual Vanilla there were many bugs fixed and nerfs applied during the journey from 1.0 to 1.12. I remember a couple of times during Vanilla they'd put a patch on, but low and behold some exploit would be opened up allowing gold or items to be duped and they'd have to shut it back down and patch the patch.

It's one of the things that's exciting about Classic coming out, we don't know how they will handle changes to spells and talents and other mechanics that happened over the life of Vanilla WoW. One thing that I wonder about is debuff slots, during Vanilla there were only a few available and for boss fights you'd have to carefully plan which ones could be applied to a boss, you couldn't have every huntard throwing up serpent sting.

How are elemental shamans? Garbage in raiding?
Yeah like Bisi says. Your raid needs mana tide as well as your other totems.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Armor reduction abilities didn't stack in any way. You couldn't even cast Faerie Fire on a target with Sunder. "A more powerful spell is on the target."

Also, +healing absolutely applied to Regrowth's HOT. Same as above, you couldn't cast Regrowth if someone else had higher +Healing making their Regrowth HOT buff more powerful (same for Rejuv). Meant you didn't want more than one druid on tank duty or they were relegated to Rank 4 Healing Touch spam. Also I specifically remember the healing tick amount. 1200 over 21 seconds, every 3 seconds, or 7 ticks base of ~171 healing. Late BWL Regrowth was ticking for 290-300.

Early game, +Healing(+Spell damage) didn't exist so there wasn't anything modifying the power of your spells other than rank and number of times you could cast before going OOM. Those were the dark times for casters.

Not sure what regrowth was like back then, don't recall any +healing conflicts - vaguely remember not being able to cast rejuv if someone had improved rejuv talents.

Just tested with +882 healing, my regrowth today with 1.12 talents ticked for 232, improved rejuv ticks for 454.

Again can't be sure but vaguely remember having +22 int on my weapon back then, whereas now it's all about +healing. One of the main Druid specs today is improved regrowth in resto, and Nature's Grace in balance. Regrowth crits make next spell shorter, so 2s regrowth becomes 1.3 with 5pc t2.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
I'm glad that video clarified the world buff situation - having world buffs out my ass on a private server was a real "why didn't we think of that" moment but if it's not blizz like then that is understandable

What about ZG buff? That one is better than ony because it persists through death. So annoying to lose world buffs after getting the vael debuff

Were dire maul tribute buffs a thing in retail?
DM tribute buffs were a thing yes, but they weren’t typically stacked on most of a raid pre-raid like you see on the speed-clearing emu server guilds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Not sure what regrowth was like back then, don't recall any +healing conflicts - vaguely remember not being able to cast rejuv if someone had improved rejuv talents.

Just tested with +882 healing, my regrowth today with 1.12 talents ticked for 232, improved rejuv ticks for 454.

Again can't be sure but vaguely remember having +22 int on my weapon back then, whereas now it's all about +healing. One of the main Druid specs today is improved regrowth in resto, and Nature's Grace in balance. Regrowth crits make next spell shorter, so 2s regrowth becomes 1.3 with 5pc t2.
Back when we were doing BWL with TR, it was a lot different. Cloth still had agility on it at that point and I was still playing mage with the same +22int on the staff from the last boss in LBRS. Don't think I had more than 2 pieces of T2 when we got Nefarian down. Magisters shoulders, T1 boots...

Wasn't in TR by the time 1.12 came around, which is when I was a druid. You needed improved talents and the highest +healing for your regrowth or rejuv to take priority. I ran something like this build: Legacy-WoW.com/vanilla-talents/druid-talents/?tal=01400510100000000000000000000000505503115315050

Other druids called me an idiot for not using Swiftmend, but when you had the highest +healing you were the main tank's Regrowth/Rejuv bot, and if a tank took damage needing Swiftmend they were likely not Defense capped.

The 8pc T2 also fucked with priority of Rejuv, since you could have higher +healing with the shoulders off Majordomo and some other pieces, which meant all spells would actually heal for more overall, but the extra tick from the T2 set bonus took priority. Can't speak to the tier bonus affecting the cast time on Regrowth, just that Regrowth chewed mana if used flagrantly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
I had forgotten all about defense capping on tanks. Lots of things I blocked out in classic like not having enough money to buy the ability to use different weapons AND your class skills (at least at lower levels).

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah ZG and AQ20 were 3 day lockouts. Many of the world buffs were there in retail and I know we stacked them a few times, but often we didn't have enough people who were willing to go through the pain in the ass to set them all up.

The other side of things is that you guys seem to forget how limited loot was for 40 people. The weapons from Hakkar were worth clearing it.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Other druids called me an idiot for not using Swiftmend, but when you had the highest +healing you were the main tank's Regrowth/Rejuv bot, and if a tank took damage needing Swiftmend they were likely not Defense capped.

The 8pc T2 also fucked with priority of Rejuv, since you could have higher +healing with the shoulders off Majordomo and some other pieces, which meant all spells would actually heal for more overall, but the extra tick from the T2 set bonus took priority. Can't speak to the tier bonus affecting the cast time on Regrowth, just that Regrowth chewed mana if used flagrantly.

The regrowth spec of today is Talent Calculator - Classic DB

And yes it relies on mana pots and other consumes eg dark/demonic runes but it's the easiest spec for Druids to compete on heal metre's (which is a big thing on private servers). One big difference today is Druid's aren't expected to be innervate bots for Priests.

xzi

Mouthbreather
idunno, we had a lot of casters and ZG trinkets stayed bis for quite a long time

also ZHC + ToEP pom pyro mage and 1shot literally every single character in the game just felt good man (too bad it's nerfed in 1.12 iirc and the complete reason trinkets can't be used at the same time)

xzi

Mouthbreather
I keep thinking of what I truly want to play if I'm not gonna take the game serious I keep saying rogue to grief but also I one single time for a BWL clear I got to go as moonkin because we had like 10 healers

even if I don't raid, moonkin pvp is full of 1-2 shots anyways

THE ERA OF THE OWL IS UPON US

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
Moonkin is actually a little more bearable on vanilla servers these days because many boss fights last like 45-60 seconds when you have a raid full of minmax dps instead of mouthbreathers overwriting each other’s debuffs every other gcd.
idunno, we had a lot of casters and ZG trinkets stayed bis for quite a long time

also ZHC + ToEP pom pyro mage and 1shot literally every single character in the game just felt good man (too bad it's nerfed in 1.12 iirc and the complete reason trinkets can't be used at the same time)
Double trinket Shadowbolt+Immo+Conflag was so much fun, especially in AV. All the damage hits within a few tenths of a second and even if nothing crit it would kill basically anyone but a raid geared tank.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
I enjoyed moonkin when I played it the very few times, it actually wrecks shit in pvp very hard. I do think it's viable but you really need to up your farm game with pots and flasks to stay even middle of the pack lol

But yeah that's kind of my thought too, let all the actual DPSers do the real work and me just look like a fucking idiot in moonkin form and taking gear from mages. ez game ez life

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
There was an alliance druid who would play BGs on Zuljin who would just moonfire spam you (possibly to death). Guy would just lock onto you and chase you around with moonfire moonfire moonfire moonfire.

It wasn't exactly the best strat. DRUIDS ARE FOR FLAG CARRYING IN WSG, YO.