World of Warcraft: Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
I suspected something was up when the music leading into the countdown for the opening ceremony was the main Vanilla login music. Trailer was a pretty savy way to announce it too. Can't wait!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I'm ready for totally useless specs all over again!

• 3Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They must be really hurting for subs to finally do this.

Wonder how long it will take to launch?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
PC Gamer has an article about this, This is how Blizzard plans to finally bring back Vanilla WoW servers | PC Gamer

Brack is clear that using modern server architecture doesn’t mean that these Classic servers will have the same features that current World of Warcraft does. There won’t be cross-realm servers or Looking For Raid and Dungeon Finder automatic party matchmaking. There’s still a lot of questions about how the team will tackle it, but Brack says they’re committed to recreating an authentic Vanilla World of Warcraft experience. "One of the tenets of Classic WoW is none of the cross-server realms and different [server] sharding options that we have available to us today. There’s a lot of desire on part of the community that this is something that they don’t want."

This endeavour is being undertaken by an entirely separate team at Blizzard from the one working on World of Warcraft and its next expansion. That’s great news for players who don’t care about revisiting the past but are much more interested in Warcraft’s future. "We’re going to hire people specifically for this job, and we’re going to staff it with people who are interested in bringing back Classic WoW in the best, most authentic way," Brack says. "And that’s how we’ll be successful."

It’s a big project, which is why Blizzard isn’t committing to a deadline and keeping the specifics close to the chest. "What we’re announcing is actually extremely limited. We’re only saying that we’re doing it, that we’re committed to creating and releasing Classic servers. It’s a larger endeavor than people might imagine, but that we’re committed to doing it and we’re excited."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
There won’t be cross-realm servers or Looking For Raid and Dungeon Finder automatic party matchmaking. There’s still a lot of questions about how the team will tackle it, but Brack says they’re committed to recreating an authentic Vanilla World of Warcraft experience. "One of the tenets of Classic WoW is none of the cross-server realms and different [server] sharding options that we have available to us today. There’s a lot of desire on part of the community that this is something that they don’t want."

Sold.

It'll still probably be stuck on 1.12 and lose a lot of the character that made it great in the first place (which involved stuff being broken), but that's enough.

Cybsled

I can't wait for the tears when the rose colored glasses are shattered and people remember why stuff was changed to begin with

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Have they said any eta? Sounds like this is a year away at the very least.

Or how the servers will be setup?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
They must be really hurting for subs to finally do this.

Wonder how long it will take to launch?

"After 13 years of fucking up a good thing, we've decided to admit our failures and start over!"

EQ did the same thing when they ran out of ideas.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

norp

Bronze Squire
It's certainly going to be extremely niche, which is probably why they didn't do it sooner. Still it's nice to have the option to fuck around in vanilla for nostalgia alone.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I mean if these 3rd party shit servers gets 300k people I am sure classic will bring a decent number of them. I also think it will be something that will give interest to people who might get bored of tired between raids ect.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
They'll get at least a year's subscription from me for finally making the bloody thing available. I'm sick of playing on emu servers with so much drama from the dev teams.

I think what will annoy people the most when they come back to vanilla will be quest mob scarcity/quest drops.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would agree that there clearly is a market for it and an interest for enough people to make it worth doing but I just don't see the rose colored glasses of vanilla. I enjoyed it but the game is a LOT better now and the classes are a LOT better than they were back then.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I would agree that there clearly is a market for it and an interest for enough people to make it worth doing but I just don't see the rose colored glasses of vanilla. I enjoyed it but the game is a LOT better now and the classes are a LOT better than they were back then.

Minus the lack of diversity and having to run the same dungeon 4x for +gooder loot.

• 1Solidarity

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I would come back to let my girlfriend try the game. I just want to re-experience the Stormwind based leveling path from 1-45. Elwynn->Westfall->Redridge->Duskwood->Stranglethorn is one of the best character leveling progressions in any MMO I've ever played. I don't care if its Vanilla or not I just want it PRE-CATACLYSM FUCK OVER.

Westfall was my favorite zone for feel and style. (Note I live in New England, it hits close to home) Cataclysm broke my heart by fucking the vibe of that zone up.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll be playing for a year at least on this. I can't wait!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like