World of Warcraft: Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I wish I could play when this comes out but real life is kinda in the way now. I will have to be happy watching the occasional video on Warcraftmovies. It wouldn't be the same anyway, with all the knowledge that I have now. It was special because it was all new back in the day.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
If people are comparing the true form of Classic WoW, 15 years later and with rose-colored glasses, to what they think they remember then nobody really knows what they're getting into. The quality of life changes over the years have made us soft and pandered to.

I'm just glad there won't be dailies anymore. We get rep grinds instead, woo!
Honestly I'd love to see a balance pass that makes classes and specs scale more evenly throughout vanilla but all the "no changes" people would never go for it. It would be cool to be able to DOT shit in raids as a warlock for example, or for mages to do anything but spam frostbolt in MC and BWL.

I could see some changes to make certain classes less OP and stuff like that but I dont trust current Blizzard with it at all. Ive played plenty of private servers past few years and the funnest parts have been the community needing to actually gear up and group etc. Vanilla was far from perfect and WoW wasnt even my main MMO during vanilla (well at certain times it was). But tbh all games from that era were imperfect and for some reason it made them more fun looking back. I can't stand the cookie cutter bs that is out now with the path laid out for you. I much rather need to run some easier instances at a chance for some BiS piece instead of just doing raid X 4 times in a row on slightly harder modes to get gear X with slightly better stats.

Kinda went off topic and I agree spamming frostbolt over and over is boring as fuck as imo WoWs combat has always been. But mostly just want a game where people group and talk and you have more freedom to play as you wish.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I doubt I will have time to play with starting a new job and all. So reading shit will suffice. That being said it is pretty amazing to look back and see how far WOW has gone from an RPG to a kind of action activity lobby. All decisions over the past 15 years have been to streamline and simplify every single aspect of the game. All in the name of accessibility as is the common trope in game design this decade. It's just led to things getting dull and tiresome.

Seeing the current wow developers realize how far they've gone in terms of that and try to retroactively fix it just kinds of seals the deal on it. They know they've fucked up but I don't think there's a way to fix it unless they have the balls to totally shit on what they have.

Really not trying to circlejerk or anything I just think MMO design is pretty fascinating. Early WOW had tons of aspects that were designed to force social interaction. Having solo quests and stuff is good. But having group quests that actually required groups and forced you to talk to other players to overcome this or that is really the bread and butter of what an MMO is. I can play a single player RPG whenever the fuck I want.

Listened to random video as it popped up on my random youtube queue at work yesterday. WoW streamer goes to EQ out of boredom of the current game and fires up 1999. First he hates it but appreciates it's surface complexity. Made a poignant point where the MMO is like the only genre where you absolutely want complexity and inaccessibility at times. As this forces player interaction. Then you look at wow today and... well. God damn.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I could see some changes to make certain classes less OP and stuff like that but I dont trust current Blizzard with it at all. Ive played plenty of private servers past few years and the funnest parts have been the community needing to actually gear up and group etc. Vanilla was far from perfect and WoW wasnt even my main MMO during vanilla (well at certain times it was). But tbh all games from that era were imperfect and for some reason it made them more fun looking back. I can't stand the cookie cutter bs that is out now with the path laid out for you. I much rather need to run some easier instances at a chance for some BiS piece instead of just doing raid X 4 times in a row on slightly harder modes to get gear X with slightly better stats.

Kinda went off topic and I agree spamming frostbolt over and over is boring as fuck as imo WoWs combat has always been. But mostly just want a game where people group and talk and you have more freedom to play as you wish.

It will just be nice to play and not have all your fucking abilities locked to a goddamn spec. As a mage I will be able to cast fireball, icebolt, and arcane missiles. The current faggots at blizzard think that this is too many choices.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
They know they've fucked up but I don't think there's a way to fix it unless they have the balls to totally shit on what they have.
This will never work, because Blizzard actually HAS to pander to the remaining paying WoW players, hence the outrage on the portal changes. This is the slow curse of "design by metrics", because you'll never be able to differentiate between correlation and causation.

The players who appreciated the intricacies of the MMORPG genre and hate the lobby metagame are all long gone. Except maybe here, but this place is more like the Statler & Waldorf balcony.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
It will just be nice to play and not have all your fucking abilities locked to a goddamn spec. As a mage I will be able to cast fireball, icebolt, and arcane missiles. The current faggots at blizzard think that this is too many choices.
Oh yeah completely forgot most of my Rogues attacks are only accessible with a certain spec

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I think dual spec would be a good idea but like mentioned, not sure how to do it without changing the whole raid system. I'll likely play a resto druid which means I'm stuck being awful outside of raids/group settings, would be nice to dual spec over to feral so I could go farm things at better than fresh 60 pace.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
#nochanges

Not because I think the game is perfect, but because I don't trust modern Blizzard not to fuck everything up.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
There’s some things they added in just because of the natural progression of the game, good or bad.

There’s also somethings that just should have been available from the get go and it was stupid not to have them.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Off the cuff question: a bank alt leveled to 5 to get professions can progress those professions how high? Max? Idea being I get 2 gathering professions on main and funnel mats to bank alt who would have 2 crafting professions.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
I like the content timeline that they posted earlier this week. I didn't get really into WoW until BWL was already out so my guild was doing ZG alongside MC in terms of gear progression which (then) I didn't realize wasn't the original gearing route. Obviously with everything people know now and access to more reliable internet and PCs most all of classic will be a joke regardless of gear but at least there will be different stuff to look forward to as the different classic "content" updates come up.

I'm still holding out hope that they secretly change the items the AQ war effort uses just to throw everyone a curveball, having people stockpile enough stuff to just instantly finish the event is pretty boring. Make it something ridiculous like 5000 tabby cats or whelplings.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Off the cuff question: a bank alt leveled to 5 to get professions can progress those professions how high? Max? Idea being I get 2 gathering professions on main and funnel mats to bank alt who would have 2 crafting professions.
I think you need to be at least 35 to cap a profession.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm still waiting for everyone to engage the shitstorm that is "go to X place in Y dungeon to get trained by Z trainer" (Enchanting in Uldaman, anyone?). I haven't even touched on the lack of flying, or your trainer offering rank ups every other level for minor gains in your spells.

Or the fun that was some of the terrible classic talent trees, such as *drumroll* Improved Firestone! While it still had the fire proc ability!

• 1Like

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
I'm still waiting for everyone to engage the shitstorm that is "go to X place in Y dungeon to get trained by Z trainer" (Enchanting in Uldaman, anyone?). I haven't even touched on the lack of flying, or your trainer offering rank ups every other level for minor gains in your spells.

Or the fun that was some of the terrible classic talent trees, such as *drumroll* Improved Firestone! While it still had the fire proc ability!
The worst part of vanilla and tbc professions is required recipes only being available in limited quantities with very long timers, they will be botted and hoarded and listed on the AH at huge markups if they are implemented the same as they were in vanilla.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I've said this many times but so few people seem to listen. Gathering professions are for the Chinese, you make bank by buying in bulk and cheap from one of the many Faulty Armor farmers then craft shit and get fat stacks of loot. You can also flip shit in the AH, not sure what addons will work with the Vanilla AH but even without it this is the way to go always. You will get far far more value for your time spent.

Also for alts I think I would go with transmute masters for a few as shit like Arcanite Bars are going to be highly sought after and only 1 can be made a day.