World of Warcraft: Classic

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Blizzard has had an almost aversion to accepting that the original game up through probably Wrath of the Lich King is more well received, recalled, and loved in memory than the modern game since Cata.

There's no "almost" about it. They definitely do.

Anyways I ended up on Stalagg because it said High, but let me in within a minute. Was that one of the original servers?

Also I played on Garona day 1 of classic and we didn't have queues and I had no issue finding mobs in Teldrassil. Don't know how bad Human/Orc/Undead areas were tho, as I've always played a Night Elf at the day 1 release of these sorts of things.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I did see a bunch of people in Brill autorunning into walls so maybe. Apparently some of the guys I was playing EVE with rolled on Whitemane too, heh.

I'm not gonna bother with afk macros, will just hope the queue isn't horrific when I get home tonight.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Ya same. Can’t you just auto run into a wall?

I thought it had to be a keystroke or mouseclick now?

Edit: Above post seems to indicate otherwise. Hmmm. So the afk system is back to only making you afk if it can make you sit down I guess?

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Good lord !Questie is a god send, download that shit if you haven't already lol

I'm getting a bug with questie where I can't click on any quests in my journal and I can't click complete quest. I have to disable it briefly to do either of those things and turn it back on. Thankfully reloadui takes under a second on a SSHD, so it isn't a huge issue, but wtf? Also, which questie are you using. There seems to be 2 that both say they are for vanilla. One says beta I guess. So I imagine you're using non beta? I've tried both individually and both together and the bug still happens.

Friends trying to get me into this but I wish I could.

Any estimate on time to first Onyxia / Rag kills? Guessing a ~week?

Wait, Rag is already in? That's not real classic :p I remember at least a month of no raids other than the "2 group" place where you could get the blue set chest pieces for each class. Can't remember the exact name of the place, but you guys know what I'm talking about. Because I remember rushing to 60, being the first person on alliance on garona with an epic mount, getting my full druid dungeon set and crafting my full tribal leather set, getting bored, and quitting. Altho in fairness I had already played a year of beta or more. There were definitely no real raids yet. I was hoping they'd follow a similar patch schedule, if not condensed, but I sort of see why they aren't doing that, at least to some degree. So is it just full classic already in except for no AQ? What about the pvprework and rank 14? That's in already too? Sorry, haven't been following this shit you nerds.

Last edited:

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah but it could be they've weighted down their run key/turn key. Realistically it should be easy to do with just a weight

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought it had to be a keystroke or mouseclick now?

Edit: Above post seems to indicate otherwise. Hmmm. So the afk system is back to only making you afk if it can make you sit down I guess?

There was a character running into the wall last night that had the AFK tag. Not sure if it matters, he was still there after I had dinner.

Anyone know what the queue is like now?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Login Queue Clarification on Medium Population Realms

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Why does Herod still have a 900 person, 8 minute queue when it’s showing Medium population?
The way realm population display currently works once the servers are live is that High, Medium, and Low are determined dynamically, in terms relative to the most crowded realms. So a realm with pretty rough queues (say 4k-5k) might end up showing as Medium because you aren’t Faerlina, Herod, etc.
This is how it’s worked for a long time, but the unprecedented size of the queues on the handful of outlier realms is skewing the algorithm. The team’s first priority is stability and getting new servers online as needed, but beyond that, we’ll look into changing this logic to be more intuitive (i.e. showing “Full” when a server has a queue, for starters). I know, this is technically not #nochanges, but then again neither are 20k people waiting to log into the same realm... (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

You MUST have known there would be long queues. Why the hesitation to have servers in place to handle extra players? (not characters)
I understand the frustration: Anticipating and planning around jumping back into this world we’ve all missed, only to be stuck in a long queue, is not the experience we want anyone to have.

But from the start of planning for this launch, we’ve tried to prioritize the long-term health of our realm communities, recognizing that if we undershot the mark in terms of launch servers, we could move quickly to add additional realms in the opening hours. But if we went out with too many servers, weeks or months down the line we’d have a much tougher problem to solve. While we have tools like free character transfers available as a long-term solution to underpopulated realms, everything about that process would be tremendously disruptive to realm communities, and so it’s something we want to avoid as much as possible.

Thus, we took the path of launching with few enough realms to still thrive in the event that our most conservative estimates ended up proving accurate, while having enough servers ready to activate at a moment’s notice if needed. And clearly they were, and are, needed.
We’ve released over 20 new realms worldwide so far since launch, and we’ll be up around the clock continuing to do so until everyone who wants to experience Classic is able to. But even still, as we bring new realms online in a given region, we wait for them to fill before opening new ones, because we want to make sure that each and every realm has a healthy population in the long term. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Developer Interview - Launch Day Login Experience
Forbes has an interview with Ion Hazzikostas about layering and launch day.

• Layering is the lesser of several evils when it comes to handling launch week populations.
  • Many people have been waiting for this launch for years and are committed to the long haul, but there will also be tons of tourists checking it out at launch.
  • The team is predicting a fairly steep drop off compared to the interest players are showing on launch day.
  • Community is very important in Classic, so keeping the number of realms reasonable to ensure a healthy population is important.
  • The team really really wants to avoid having to offer transfers or merging Classic realms later.
  • Raising player caps on realms could be done but causes contention for finite spawn points and leads to bottlenecks.
  • When you log in, you'll be assigned to a layer and will stay there for that gameplay session.
  • The only way to change layers will be accepting a group invite from a player in another layer. Once you move to that new layer, that'll be your new layer for the gameplay session.
  • The team expects to aggressively reduce the number of layers after the first few days.
  • As the team goes into Phase 2, the goal is to have just one layer per realm.
  • Layers will be removed with realm restarts or during maintenance.

iu
iu

• 1RAGE
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So basically wow classic is going to be only for people who can log in OUTSIDE prime time, until enough people submit to the will of blizzard and go play bfa instead.

This is because they are capping the volume allowed on a server rather than just utilizing their layering system to let a larger amount of concurrent players on a realm, because it would destroy the community and server feel that is so important and these same developers have devoted their work to changing with group tools, hub systems, etc and think players don't actually want. The tools to let more people on popular servers are right there and IF people quit like Ion says they will, those same tools very naturally crunch the pop back down. But nope: server caps instead.

So basically they are going to fuck the average classic wow player until they self fulfill their prediction of classic wow average players thinking they do but they don't. When wow originally launched they took the most popular servers (eg archiminde) and beefed them up to host more people. Now when classic wow launches, they deliberately reduce capacity to not let people play together and either spread out to worlds they didn't even have up at launch or fuck off and stop yammering for something the plebs shouldn't have asked for because classic actually sucks and devs know best.

I sincerely wish nothing but ass cancer and tranny dick on the current new crop of devs.
Layering is a thing though.

nisser

Trakanon Raider
At this point, their predictions of a steep drop off will materialize as who is going to put up with 6hr+ ques? Even the smallest realms have ques over an hour so you can’t even move anywhere

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Raising player caps on realms could be done but causes contention for finite spawn points and leads to bottlenecks.

Are you telling me that there might be something that leads to PVP on a PVP server?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
At this point, their predictions of a steep drop off will materialize as who is going to put up with 6hr+ ques? Even the smallest realms have ques over an hour so you can’t even move anywhere

We prevented our playerbase from playing classic to ensure a steep drop off

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
On the other hand, maybe wow classic being so popular will encourage someone to make an MMO like they used to be and in 5 years or so we might see one!?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users