World of Warcraft: Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The harsh truth is they have no idea how to manage Classic or emulate [private vanilla servers].

Fixed it for you my guy. I would say there's no need to thank me, but we all know you're incapable of such human things.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Fixed it for you my guy. I would say there's no need to thank me, but we all know you're incapable of such human things.

The irony is that Northdales patch progression was more vanilla like than classic:

"Progressive Realm In sticking with a significant feature of our previous realms, and of Nostalrius before us, Northdale will have progressive itemization, quests, loot tables, dungeons and raids. That is, throughout the content lifecycle weapons, armour, trinkets, rings, etc. will undergo statistic and effect changes as they did in Vanilla. Similarly, as new items come out with varying patches, loot tables will be updated to include them. So although a boss may not drop some items at the beginning, they may gain new ones with each patch. "

If you can't see the difference between launching a private server at patch 1.0 and gated content but with 1.12 talents, and progressively mimicing the vanilla patch timeline patch by patch (so certain items got progressively buffed) and what we have in classic, which is gated content but 1.12 loot tables, 1.12 items etc and how the former is more vanilla like, then we will clearly know you're incapable of seeing sense.

Don't just take my word for it, look at these comments from 2006re Ban'thok Sash

By Klytemnestra on 2006/04/25 (Patch 1.9.4)
Subject: "Overpowered"So, this has better damage output that the Arcanist Belt, and it's a 49 blue. Not Felheart, just Arcanist. Screw you, Blizzard.

Shadowtrance on 2006/05/31 (Patch 1.10.2)Subject: "RE: Overpowered"
I suggest you look at the other upgraded blue stuff in BRD/Scholo/Strath

Arcanist being crap as an epic is old news ever since Zul'Gurub and AQ20 blues came out.

So basically, we are pre BWL but already have access to significantly better gear than we did when we were originally BWL. This isn't vanilla like.

• 1Repost
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know it's Classic and hashtag nochanges and all that but when they do another series of these servers in 20XX I hope they fix a lot of the problems people are having. I don't even think you need to do much more than jettison the entire PvP structure and start over with a new one. The rest of the game is mostly fine. I think something with territorial control, more restrictive rules of engagement for people not max level, incentives to be the underdog, new rewards, day one battlegrounds and the like would serve the playerbase better than a blender stuffed to capacity.

edit - I know Paladins aren't exciting but that's so few of them for how completely ridiculous they are

"Don't even need to do much"

What you suggested is a monumental amount of work.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
"Don't even need to do much"

What you suggested is a monumental amount of work.

Steal ideas, implement ideas, receive giant piles of cash. I'm not asking anyone to do anything for free and I'm not asking for anything with these current servers. This is the hashtagnochanges era. They are what they are.

When they launch another full batch of these in the future (which they will, we'll get at least one more full boat of these) they can be a little more open with changes. Just steal a bunch of shit from Warhammer Online if you need ideas. "Implement a new set of rules governing PvP interaction and a new reward system" is no big thing for them.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Launch a classic server with no hardcoded factions. Institute questlines to allow Alliance players to gain faction with Horde capitals individually and vice versa.

World PvP will never be "good" or "balanced", let the players police themselves and suddenly faction imbalance isn't nearly as big an issue.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
What I would like to see now after experiencing Classic PvP is a Rallos Zek server with this level of population and organization. I think it would be a manifestation of the lowest level of Hell with everyone murdering everyone at all times forever.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is why PvP works best with 3 factions. It self balances if one gets out of hand the other two usually join forces or even if not joining forces, both end up attacking the superior one.

But like booze mentioned before, this is not why this experiment failed, it failed because of lack of servers in the beginning, coralling million people into a handfull servers and not doing anything about it until too late. these servers are just too overpopulated. The world was never meant to hold this many people.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I haven't noticed a single time that the free transfers included a PvE as an option for the PvP servers. Everyone walked in with their eyes open but it would still have been in their best interest to let people bail from PvP to PvE. Paid transfers existed in vanilla and you could go from PvP to PvE. You've got a reasonable hunk of your playerbase that have invested a great deal of time on a character they now feel is gated behind the open world meat grinder.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I obviously got ahead of the curve and generally raid log now but I feel for all the casuals that are just now trying to hit 60 and gear themselves up. The game on lopsided servers is unplayable. A lot of them are quitting and probably never coming back.
It's their damn fault for picking a PvP server. It's not as if you didn't knew this would be a thing. But no. You can play the game the way you want or play the game the stupid bodycampers want, so of course you're going to pick the latter.

I have zero sympathy for people who complain about being unable to play on a PvP server. Zero fucks given.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's their damn fault for picking a PvP server. It's not as if you didn't knew this would be a thing. But no. You can play the game the way you want or play the game the stupid bodycampers want, so of course you're going to pick the latter.

I have zero sympathy for people who complain about being unable to play on a PvP server. Zero fucks given.
giphy.gif

The real problem brings it back to overall population. No one knew going in that there would be 3 times or more players as were on realms back in the day. Gank squads were a thing back then too, there are just so many more people in general now that theres no relief, and faction imbalance makes the problem worse. Yeah sure, complaining about pvp on a pvp server had always been a thing. There are some pretty fundamental issues here though that make it a real problem. If they had addressed population correctly at the jump or just released bgs alongside the honor system I dont think you'd have as many issues or complaints.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When was it Blizzard stated for the first time that a low population classic realm still had more players than a high population vanilla realm?

• 1Solidarity

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
They said Medium classic servers were the same or more than vanilla full servers. It was a blue post on their forums but I don’t know when it was made.
But like booze mentioned before, this is not why this experiment failed, it failed because of lack of servers in the beginning, coralling million people into a handfull servers and not doing anything about it until too late. these servers are just too overpopulated. The world was never meant to hold this many people.
Bull shit, Bliz listed the servers that were projected to have way too many people based on character reservations and everybody stayed on them anyway. They opened tons of additional German and other regional servers where they saw an actual problem with not enough servers, and they also added more US servers pre launch but everybody wanted to stay on their waifu or streamer server.

• 1Picard

Leon

<Silver Donator>
They said Medium classic servers were the same or more than vanilla full servers. It was a blue post on their forums but I don’t know when it was made.
Bull shit, Bliz listed the servers that were projected to have way too many people based on character reservations and everybody stayed on them anyway. They opened tons of additional German and other regional servers where they saw an actual problem with not enough servers, and they also added more US servers pre launch but everybody wanted to stay on their waifu or streamer server.

There's a lot of truth to that. I can't count how many people i know wouldn't budge from their 20k queue server after a week in.

Hell even a week prior to the game launching people crowded to the same 3 realms and did not want to hear about moving to the newer ones for fear of those being 'dead realms'. And now here we are.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't know about that. My guild moved several times, finally winding up on a server that didn't exist until a few hours prior to launch, and it was still queues out the ass for weeks and it still super crowded. Whether people should have been more proactive, idk, but Blizzard for certain fucked that part of the launch up. It's kind of shitty to blame the customers for poor planning when it is the job of the service provider to make sure enough resources are allocated to meet demand.

They said a while back that low pop servers had more people than max pop in vanilla. Wow census says that in primetime there's about 4500-5k on my server. Which, honestly, I thought there'd be more.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The original servers were made days before launch, so everyone could reserve their names, remember? Yeah, they didnt do shit (add more) until launch day. Most of this 20K queue could of been alleviated if they just added a handful more servers before launch, so people could make their characters and decide beforehand as a guild where to go. Before people sunk hours and hours into their characters. There is no way entire guilds were going to move off high pop servers for fear of being on a shit dead server later. If it was just me, I would of moved but it wasnt just me it was a guild of 100 people at the time. So yeah, total mismanagement by blizz who thought this would all fail a month in.

There was talk of moving in FOH, but no one wanted to move for fear of some dead server later.

Either way its still a shit idea by blizz to make WOW classic into some mega servers, in a game that was origonally designed to hold 2-3K people max at peak.

Last edited:

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I think the perception of what 'low pop' and high pop servers were was skewed big time by what we knew from vanilla.

I don't think anyone knew even a low pop server would have that many people.

In the end you're right, Blizzard are the ones who had the tools to fix it and didn't implement it right from the get go. This game isn't meant to be ran on such large servers, especially with this retarded pvp system.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know about that. My guild moved several times, finally winding up on a server that didn't exist until a few hours prior to launch, and it was still queues out the ass for weeks and it still super crowded. Whether people should have been more proactive, idk, but Blizzard for certain fucked that part of the launch up.

It's funny how some people even claimed Blizzard had enough servers and people shouldn't stick to the popular realms when every single server had a queue. Every single one of them. The most dimwitted simpleton should understand that when every server has a queue, there aren't enough of them.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Blizzard decided to cram too many people into a world that was designed to hold a fifth of them, like a 12" monster dick in a petite blonde in a blacked scene.

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The crux of the issue comes down to Blizzard and their lack of communication. People can blame players all they want but they make choices based on the information they have. All the stuff about the population is simply speculation. If you reserved names on the first servers or if you rerolled 15 times in the first 2 weeks you are running into the same problems, they all had queue times, they all have excessive populations, they all have been allowed to develop into faction imbalanced shitholes, which were further exacerbated by Blizzard and their poorly thought out transfer system. (Which they later once the damage was done make faction specific.) To put the blame on the players who simply want to log in for a fun experience and are making guesses at the best server to play on is shortsighted and stupid.

Do you know who has the fucking numbers? Blizzard!
They could come out and share some of that information, same with if/when they plan to add new realms.
They could talk about the impact layers had on the classic launch if it accomplished the goals they wanted or if even with layers realms had queues and they shit the fucking bed.
They could address the concerns with players on the realm sizes.

But Blizzard as usual have lazy incompetent shit mongers at the helm. Do you know why players are afraid of being ending up on dead realms? Because Blizzard has a fucking history of letting dead realms linger because they are to fucking stupid to merge them and instead invented this sharding gayness, which doesn't fix anything and has caused people on retail to spend cash swapping realms to find guilds. Make no mistake right now today there are many many fucking dead realms on retail. So with that knowledge of course people can infer that Blizzard will do the same with Classic. Also Blizzard themselves pushed the idea that 95% of the classic players were just going to up and quit so layers were the answer. Thing is people enjoy an actual MMORPG over a Clown fiesta fuckfest that is retail and the suits at Blizzard still don't understand the difference.

Blizzard could step in right now and make new servers and instead of their piss poor transfer attempts could put in a little effort to create moderate sized realms with balanced populations on them, but we know this wont happen. After a bit of time we're going to end up with a handful of PvP servers with a 90/10 faction balance like Mal'Ganis or 10/90 like Stormrage with a few healthy servers that are currently Megaservers and a whole shitload of empty dead pigshit realms as 95% of the player base does leave, not because they don't enjoy the game but because of how worthless, incompetent, and lazy the people in charge at Blizzard are. People like Ion want the game to fail so he doesn't look like a complete fuck up who has cost the company fucking millions upon millions in sub loss due to his consistent failures. Can't have Classic bringing in the highest Sub growth in the entire franchises fucking history since the goddamn game began over a 15 year period, and then Shadowlands look like the nasty shriveled unpolished turd in a box we all know it will be.

Last edited:
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Friend of mine got a ban for having "MAGA" in his character name. What in the actual fuck?

• 3WTF
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users