World of Warcraft: Classic

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wop wop. The Classic Token has arrived. Was going to post this in the retail thread, since it's kinda funny, but I guess here is better.

2023-05-23 12.31.29 www.wowhead.com 1af09a5e10e8.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sad.

Classic Vanilla seems to be going strong and people are clamoring for another fresh start. But, Lich King has faded hard despite so many claiming it was the best part of classic.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Pretty sad.

Classic Vanilla seems to be going strong and people are clamoring for another fresh start. But, Lich King has faded hard despite so many claiming it was the best part of classic.

The hype sucked me back in after skipping TBC. Levelling was boring, all the classes feel the same and 3-4 months of Naxx was trash

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
WOTLK was when I stopped playing wow back in the day. Dont know why just lost interest at that time. Definitely a hard shift away from vanilla for both TBC and WOTLK. The dungeons were all linear and leveling felt worse for some reason. I did like the overall feel of TBC zones. I dont even have any memories the WOTLK zones and I leveled several characters to 80 at that time.

IDK, its when the game started turning to shit IMO. Never raided all that much because I was a casual with family and all that so never had the time, so maybe the raiding was better? Who the fuck knows.

From seeing a vod on this 3.0 patch for WOTLK, they are adding the catch up raid with 5 bosses and no trash, 45min to hour raid that drops Ulduar 10 man gear. They are adding Onyxia 2.0 that, again drops Uldular 10 man level gear. They also adding a token system to farm uldular 10 man gear from 5 man hard mode dungeons.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sad.

I did vanilla and SoM but passed on WOTLK. Just had no interest in DK world.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Probably just rose tinted glasses as there was no real way to tell if it was or not till WOTLK came around. Not saying its a bad expansion - far from it. But it was the first time that many of us had seen the barriers to entry be broken down right in front of us - and we probably just didnt understand what impact that would have on the game in the long run. So basically, you had the long term players still playing, and the new casual-entry into the end game bringing in a whole new truck load of people.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
As to the wow tokens, well Blizzard is there to make money, and lets be real here those WOTLK servers are already corrupt with 90% GDKP raids, people bidding obsurd amounts of gold on items, and where do you think all that gold comes from? How many people actually farm gold for GDKP raids? How many people actually farm gold for their mounts and riding skills? Do you think people hosting those GDKP raids are just hoarding their stashes of hundreds of thousands if not millions of gold? Its all just being sold RMT and washed again in the next set of GDKP raids. LOL Its all corrupt as fuck on all those servers right now and going rate for gold is even lower than the wow token, why? Because I already bought some myself. :D

All wow tokens do is crash the RMT markets because people would rather get it from a secure source rather than risking a ban on their account.

Its the people that ruined wow with this GDKP bullshit, not Blizzard. Blizzard just saw and opportunity and a solution of sorts at the same time.

The thing that pisses me off is they are adding this shit back but will not add back the dungeon finder tool (which actually got added with WOTLK). Shit on the dungeon finder thing all you want but this game is not social by any means. People raid log for the most part at this stage there is no community anymore. speaking of the WOTLK era servers, not vanilla of course. But even there I would not mind the dungeon finder tool either now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Probably just rose tinted glasses as there was no real way to tell if it was or not till WOTLK came around. Not saying its a bad expansion - far from it. But it was the first time that many of us had seen the barriers to entry be broken down right in front of us - and we probably just didnt understand what impact that would have on the game in the long run. So basically, you had the long term players still playing, and the new casual-entry into the end game bringing in a whole new truck load of people.
I mean that era had the most players right? WOTLK era had something like 12 million player peak, right? And it all went to shit from there going forward. so maybe everyone loved that shti at first, it just wasnt sustainable model. Sure seems that way.

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
If I remember right WoTLK was most fun for me back in the day when:

On release DK's came out and they were very new, very fun and overpowered so I leveled one to raid
First 2 weeks of raiding since it was said DK
Ulduar raid tier for maybe 80% of it, that raid sucked me in and I looked forward to it weekly
ICC tier for probably 6 months and past the Ruby Sanctum. Raid was good, finishing characters was rewarding, legendary was fun to do, rep farming the first couple weeks was tiring but lead to fun times in Ventrillo.

Outside of that....eh, it didnt have to world pvp of classic and dailies were tired after doing them for all of TBC. Arena was good though if you played a rogue which I didnt. Bg's were all DK's so it was eh. Coliseum raid was shit, Ony became a meme to get a mount that I never saw drop, and Naxx / Saph 3 drakes / Maly was too easy. I think I enjoyed Cata and MoP more overall really since the pvp in those was far superior and the raids in MoP had Heart of Fear / Throne of Thunder / Siege (which was a good raid but the time between expansions was way too fucking long)

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think it just goes to show that Classic WOW really was something special.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So wait do I need to be subbed to cash in my classic gold for blizzard bucks? I’ve got like 35k on Whitemane I think.
Nevermind it looks like you can’t get battlenet cash on classic.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
As to the wow tokens, well Blizzard is there to make money, and lets be real here those WOTLK servers are already corrupt with 90% GDKP raids, people bidding obsurd amounts of gold on items, and where do you think all that gold comes from? How many people actually farm gold for GDKP raids? How many people actually farm gold for their mounts and riding skills? Do you think people hosting those GDKP raids are just hoarding their stashes of hundreds of thousands if not millions of gold? Its all just being sold RMT and washed again in the next set of GDKP raids. LOL Its all corrupt as fuck on all those servers right now and going rate for gold is even lower than the wow token, why? Because I already bought some myself. :D

All wow tokens do is crash the RMT markets because people would rather get it from a secure source rather than risking a ban on their account.

Its the people that ruined wow with this GDKP bullshit, not Blizzard. Blizzard just saw and opportunity and a solution of sorts at the same time.

The thing that pisses me off is they are adding this shit back but will not add back the dungeon finder tool (which actually got added with WOTLK). Shit on the dungeon finder thing all you want but this game is not social by any means. People raid log for the most part at this stage there is no community anymore. speaking of the WOTLK era servers, not vanilla of course. But even there I would not mind the dungeon finder tool either now.
GDKP is the gayest innovation to come to MMOs thats for sure.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WotLK had a few great quest lines and I love the general ambience of most of the zones but the leveling experience felt more like a railroaded chore than before, the formulaic questing was really starting to set in. Go to quest hub, get 3 quests you can conveniently do at the same time, go back, get 2 more, go back and get 1 more that gives you a green item so your gear is exactly where it's planned to be when you move to the next quest hub and repeat.

These days I'd rather just put on a podcast and grind somewhere, not really enjoying the gameplay where I kind of have to pay attention so I'm killing the correct mobs but am also not really challenged by any of it.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
WotLK was fun, but it was definitely when they started dumbing down content. TBC was the direction they should have kept heading.

• 1Like

Daidraco

wtf is battlenet cash
What? You poor, poor child. Just about everyone I know cashed out their gold in WoW retail for Blizzard Balance a long, long time ago. Ive been buying expansions, and all off nothing other than the gold I made in Retail WoW over the years. You can still do it, but at this point - I imagine golds hella worthless in retail right now.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Pretty sad.

I think WotLK is a lot closer to modern than classic, but people overlooked it because the setting was epic, the systems were new and the characters were still classic characters.

Games with hardship which are a choose your own adventure scenario are better than games where you are a passenger on a rollercoaster, especially in this genre.

No wonder classic is popular, I'm stunned that they haven't made classic+ with modern graphics, more content and carefully chosen QoL.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

What? You poor, poor child. Just about everyone I know cashed out their gold in WoW retail for Blizzard Balance a long, long time ago. Ive been buying expansions, and all off nothing other than the gold I made in Retail WoW over the years. You can still do it, but at this point - I imagine golds hella worthless in retail right now.
Strangely enough, the prices were the lowest in 2 or 3 xpacs when Dragonflight was in it's first month, at around 130,000 gold.

Now its back to Legion prices:
2023-05-24 21.25.32 www.wowhead.com c63ebd69dcee.png

wtf is battlenet cash
You can convert tokens you buy with gold into game time OR ActiBliz credit (to buy anything on their store, even Destiny 2 was on there for a time). There is a cap of $350 worth that you can keep in the "account."

• 1Like

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I've recently been watching some hardcore BRD/LBRS/UBRS runs and man they just don't make dungeons like that any more. It's really sad. Nothing felt more epic than doing a full BRD or LBRS run back in the day.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users