World of Warcraft: Current Year

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Btw does anyone on horde us run a normal nighthold over the weekends at night and need a tank? I'm missing our run Friday and otherwise I'll just pug it

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
We are all.armchair devs
Wrote industrial software for telcos ("Specification: customer billing must work. The rest is optional") for about 10 years, then MMO for 2 years, then security firewalls for 6. I have enough experience on complex software to know how you do code right and how you write steaming pieces of garbage. And figure out how it's implemented from its behavior.

There's no current visible hook anywhere in the system that carries trigger data to loot generator. Every "Use:" effect calls a "spell" that exists independently of the item that triggers it. Unless they've written code to do that in advance, and never used it, it's simply not a feature of the way loot is generated at the moment.

There's a good example in the 7.2 patch that shows you exactly how trivial it is to change an item's ilvl bonus to "whatever". In 7.2, crafted items change ilvl. They go from 815-860 to 835-875. But they cannot track and change the item based on what it was before. The only thing they could do, and it's an obvious ugly hack, is that the first improvement script call will raise to 835 even if you're 815. But they cannot even go back, count the number of +5 ilvl improvements the item already had, and reapply them on the same item. Can't be done apparently.

That should give you pause when you say it's trivial to count the number of +5ilvl bonus on a token, and carry that to an entirely different item, generated using a function that hasn't been designed to do that (so you should generate the item, then change its forge bonus after).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Btw does anyone on horde us run a normal nighthold over the weekends at night and need a tank? I'm missing our run Friday and otherwise I'll just pug it
Can't come on Saturday? I imagine we'll still be doing Booze's run then.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
That should give you pause when you say it's trivial to count the number of +5ilvl bonus on a token, and carry that to an entirely different item, generated using a function that hasn't been designed to do that (so you should generate the item, then change its forge bonus after).

I think you're making this overly complicated. Final bonus tally should be all that's important here, not number of individual +5 bonuses, unless the number of individual bonuses will factor in to a decision later on (which, as far as I am aware, it doesn't).

I wrote code for a number of years as well. I'm not new to this rodeo. Without seeing the design flow and the code, of course, none of us know a thing about how it actually works other than our best guesswork. I see that you've put a lot of thought into this, but have you ever asked yourself "what if I'm wrong, and the designer working on this simply can't see the answer"? Like Noodle said, we're talking about a group of people that ostensibly somehow managed to mistake "< 1 legendary" with ">= 1 legendary" in their catch-up mechanic.

I really do think it wouldn't be that tough (or expensive) to do. I may be wrong, but nothing you've said has convinced me of this.

Either way, that's not how it works, so this is all moot.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Are you guys managing to spawn only 3-4 adds at a time? At 11 million hp per add, that's a lot of damage and time off the boss. Minimizing movement, only using 3 healers (if you're not), would also help.

The add situation is where we are slacking we are getting 4-5 sometimes one in the back which is pulling dps off the boss. we are running fairly melee heavy so its been an issue. 3 healers was our norm on most of our attempts though, healing has generally been fine its just been random 800k+ dps falling off things or tunneling and forgetting to move. the fight we had a feral druid die to the 2nd orb we mathed that an extra 300k dps over the entire fight would have been enough for us to win.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
ferals with bis legendaries that know how to play actually put up really good numbers usually in the 620-650k range and they have decent utility if you aren't running a bear for stampede and emergency soaks.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think you're making this overly complicated. Final bonus tally should be all that's important here, not number of individual +5 bonuses, unless the number of individual bonuses will factor in to a decision later on (which, as far as I am aware, it doesn't).
It factors at least into the "warforged"/"titanforged" label, anyway. Unless, of course, you want to drop that label, and just let ilvl.

And what about the other boni. I mean, we're talking about how the token warforged status should reflect the final tier status. But the socket? I mean, unless the final item no longer generates a socket (unlike the personal loot version which does, making it worse than personal looting), you have to roll a socket on the token, and carry the socket to the item. Same for tertiary.

So I stand by my professional opinion: it is almost certainly a lot more complicated to implement than you assume it is, and it has the potential of breaking several internal core systems (loot generation), which is why, even if it's a very good idea on paper, Blizzard is going to be very leery of implementing it, and not just because "it's going to artificially prolong stuff" (which it doesn't, since the random still occurs as much in both cases).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So, you're carrying two variables over to an item. Collection of flags applied to it (say, this item gets a socket and avoidance bonus, so two bits set, the rest unset) and ilvl bonus. If the bonus is 5, it's warforged. If it's over 5, it's titanforged. I am assuming that the bonus is commensurate with item level and will be the same +value every time. Feel free to correct me if I'm on crack.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see the major issue here, sorry. In any case, as stated above, this isn't how it works, no matter how much of an armchair quarterback I'm pretending to be, so this whole discussion is just for luls.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't see why loot generation wouldn't just be a collection of functions (methods if you're oop) that get run to define said properties of the item. It's probably correct to assume that the token is just a bool that says can this person try to generate loot. I don't see how it would be all that hard to just run the isUpgraded or whatever function upon receiving the token and just having the token carry that property until it is disposed of.

If it's good code, all of these loot setters should be loosely coupled anyway. If it's not, then sure it could be anywhere from a slight refactoring to a fuck this, never going to happen problem. The only true statement in all of this is, we have no idea what it would take.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm too cheap to buy the 300% experience potions, but damn is WoD leveling even faster now that I have flying. Just turn on Zygors, and follow the arrow, flying over mobs, and what was obviously made for a ground experience.

Noodleface Noodleface Aww, well ok, I'll pass then. Thought maybe you were going to add a 3rd raid night to your own lineup.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We got a ton of raids

Essentially Friday is farm day - moving to night hold heroic next week

Monday is progression - this is with a limited roster and work on heroic bosses we haven't killed

Thursday is nighthold normal and was EN heroic and TOV heroic. Not sure if they'll just so NH or throw in tov.

Saturday we have an alt NH normal run going but attendance has been slim while it ramps up.

One thing we are considering is doing some mythic raids on Monday. The reason I post this is we may need to recruit people eventually and it may be a reason people didn't join us (or left). That part is uncertain right now.

I offtanking heroic guarm last night and pretty quickly I realized I could've just solo tanked it. Flashing fangs barely dented my HP at all. My warrior before was like a yoyo

Last edited: