World of Warcraft: Current Year

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's nice to have to actually think about fighting stuff now and not just pull everything in sight and kill it. There was no danger fighting stuff outside of dungeons/raids till now.

Yea except I unequip my bracers and am a literal god compared to everyone else because I drop to 850 with an 936 weapon...

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Shadow Blasts are invisible on Mythic Mephistroth. Unkillable.

So went back to Council and Bradensbrook. Nothing. The NPS that gave out the next step in Bradensbrook is not showing up to me. Others say he is there but not on my screen. Fucking bugs.
We ended up popping Hero, flasking, potting and nuking it before phase 2. Having two 900k+ dps was nice. Even managed to get it down carrying a 439k Shadow Priest & an awful 340k Warlock...

Everything is so fucking buggy, and Broken Shore feels super bland so far. Hope that changes. Timeless Isle >

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
ROFL so all mobs are now scaling vs ilvl and some clothies in our guild are getting two shot fighting random shit elites because they are like 910 ilvl.

Yup. You can target a mob and then take a piece of equipment off, the hp on it will drop drastically.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Jesus this patch is grade A retarded. Added bonus of now my computer is just crashing in certain areas of the game now starting today. Now I'm really going to get the bench.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Look at this contemptuous asshole Watcher:

1084 posts
40 min ago
Apologies for the delay in getting information out on this - our initial focus was on putting out other patch-day fires.

Yes, this reflects a deliberate change, but it's also not working exactly as we intended. The scaling may be too steep, and the fact that unequipping a piece of gear can ever be helpful is a bug in the system. We'll be looking into making changes to correct this in the very near future.

Power progression is an essential part of the WoW endgame, and the last thing we want is to undermine that. We stressed the importance of that progression when discussing how the level-scaling system worked in Legion around the time of the expansion's launch, and explained why we then had no plans to scale foes' power based on gear. But as we've watched Legion unfold, we've come to observe some side-effects of our endgame content plan and the associated rewards structure that made us reconsider.

We've never had the initial outdoor world content stay relevant for this long in an expansion before. By the end of Mists of Pandaria, for example, the mantid of Dread Wastes that had once been reasonable foes were completely trivial. They'd basically evaporate if a raid-geared player looked in their general direction. But there wasn't much reason besides achievements or completionism to revisit the Klaxxi dailies once Isle of Thunder was out or, later on, Timeless Isle. And the enemies in those later zones could be tuned to a proportionally more challenging baseline difficulty.

But in Legion, while the new content in Broken Shore is the focus of 7.2, and we've made sure that the core outdoor rewards (both dropped and from Nethershards) are superior to the rep-related rewards from the original factions, the intent is not for the Broken Shore to completely replace the rest of the game. You'll still go back to the other Broken Isles zones for emissaries, Legion Assaults (coming next week!), Order campaign quests, improved world quest rewards, and more. And as 7.1 and 7.1.5 progressed, we could see that even with Nighthold gear the pacing of combat was getting a bit silly - what would happen once new content made that level of gear more common, and once the Tomb raid pushed limits even higher?

To reiterate, power progression is an essential part of the WoW endgame. We absolutely want you to feel overpowered as you return to steamroll content that once was challenging. But there's a threshold beyond which the game's core mechanics start to break down. When someone trying to wind up a 2.5sec cast can't get a nuke off against a quest target before another player charges in and one-shots it, that feels broken. And even for the Mythic-geared bringer of death and destruction, when everything dies nearly instantly, you spend more time looting corpses than you do making them. You spend an order of magnitude longer traveling to a quest location than you do killing the quest target. You stop using your core class abilities and instead focus on spamming instants to tap mobs as quickly as possible before they die.

Our goal is basically to safeguard against that degenerate extreme. We tune outdoor combat for a fresh 110 around a 12-15sec duration against a standard non-elite, non-boss enemy. It's great for gear, over the course of an expansion to cut that time in half, or even by two-thirds. But once you get down to a duration of one or two global cooldowns, the game just wasn't built to support that as the norm. (Note that this is an current-content endgame concern; running legacy content for completion/transmog/etc. purposes is a totally different story.)

The intent of our change in 7.2 was to smooth out that progression curve a bit, not flatten it out, and certainly never to invert it. If you get a great set of item upgrades that make you 5% stronger, maybe the world gets 1-2% tougher. Perhaps instead of getting 400% stronger over the course of the expansion relative to the outdoor world, you only get 250% stronger. But you should always be getting more powerful in relative terms, and upgrades should always matter. From some reactions so far, it sounds like we may be off on that tuning. And as noted above, the fact that unequipping items can ever be helpful is a bug that we'll be investigating and fixing.

Finally, there's the natural question of why we didn't patch-note this. It was not to be deceptive; we know it's impossible to hide a change from millions of players. But the system was meant to feel largely transparent and subtle, just like level-scaling does if you don't stop and really think about it, and so we did want players to first experience the change organically. Your feedback and reactions and first impressions of the system are more useful in this particular case when they are not skewed by the experience of logging in and actively trying to spot the differences. Thank you for that, and I look forward to continued discussion.

YEA BRO IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE DECEPTIVE BECAUSE YOU THINK PLAYERS ARE SO RETARDED THEY WOULDN'T NOTICE THAT THE MOB WENT FROM 1.9 TO 1.5 MILLION HP WHEN THEY TOOK OFF AN ITEM.

Fuck this idiot. He's seriously nothing but garbage. Every single dungeon and raid is broken. They try to pull punches with making you work harder to kill old shit with your gear for the same retarded WQs. What the actual fuck.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
LOL no trying to be deceptive... but never puts in on PTR either. HMMMMM

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
wow just went full retard. I was actually thinking of re-subbing and was planning on doing it today, just to experience flying (was prepared to grind for a few weeks for that new faction rep) but now... they can fuck off.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Comment by a friend who quit mid 7.1.5: "Looks like I left just in time"

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I probably have another week or two in me, then I'll unsub. Other than follower missions I just don't have a real big reason to play. Legion has been a little too chore-based to me, but for the most part I've enjoyed it other than the original awful class balance, the bullshit legendary system, and NH being less than thrilling.

Surely Broken Shore will pick up some with time, but if you're already 900 ilvl not much there. Will be at least a good break till ToS.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So here are some of the undocumented changed from Reddit. Also they fucked up many bosses from Dungeons to Raids.

Patch 7.2 Undocumented Changes • r/wow

Most Notable

• World quests now display a yellow border if they are relevant to an active Emissary quest.

• PvP flag is now cleared immediately when hopping from a PvP realm to a PvE realm.

• Order Hall advancement 1 through 6 have had their research time and resource cost significantly reduced.

• Emissary quests no longer count toward your 25 quest log total.

• Followers now have a third equipment slot.

• Leystone Lockboxes now exist! Time to dust off that lock picking skill, rogues!

• Creatures at level 110, including rare and elite creatures, have had their health and damage increased by roughly 20%.

• Creatures at level 110 now scale with item level.
General

• The player's head will now turn to look at their target.

• Character restoration lockout period changed to 15 days (down from 30).

• Custom lag tolerance is now enabled by default.
Items

• Items obtained from a Bonus roll now display the following in their tooltip: "Items won from bonus roll may not be traded."

• Unequipped legendary items, such as that Sephuz in your bank, no longer count toward total item level.

• Curious Coins have new art.

• Seal of Broken Fate has new art.

• "Bind to Battle.net Account" has been renamed to "Bind to Blizzard Account".

• Reputation tokens for Broken Isles factions now have a sell price and can only be used up to exalted status.

• The following can now only be used up to item level 850 for Champions: Heavy Armor Set, Fortified Armor Set, Indestructible Armor Set

• [Enchant Weapon - Glorious Tyranny] / [Enchanter's Illusion - Glorious Tyranny]: Appearance has been modified to improve system performance

• Fighter Chow now increases health regeneration by 400%, down from 1000%.

• Leystone Lockboxes now exist! Time to dust off that lock picking skill, rogues!
NPCs

• Arator the Redeemer, a paladin follower, now correctly rides the human styled Charger.

• Vanessa VanCleef, a rogue follower, now rides a standard human horse rather than the riding turtle mount.

• Rehgar Earthfury, a shaman follower, now uses ghost wolf when the player is using it.

• Broll Bearmantle, a druid follower, now uses bear form in combat, and travel form out of combat.

• Trade Prince Jastor Gallywix now has a unique model.

• The Great Akazamzarak in Dalaran now has a quiet option.

• Creatures at level 110, including rare and elite creatures, have had their health and damage increased by roughly 20%.

• Creatures at level 110 now scale with item level.
Quests

• Emissary quests no longer count toward your 25 quest log total.

• Barrels o' Fun: Players are no longer able to use mouseover macros for the barrels.

• World quests now display a yellow border if they are relevant to an active Emissary quest.

• Raid world quests are now denoted by a green portal icon (previously shared blue portal icon for dungeons).

• World quests that are being tracked now display a yellow check mark on the map.

• Soul Prism of the Illidari: Now requires 40 Lingering Soul Fragments, down from 80. Cap increased to 20 (was 10)
Order Hall

• Order Hall advancement 1 through 6 have had their research time and resource cost significantly reduced.

• Followers now have a third upgrade quality: Titled

• Followers now have a third equipment slot.

• Order halls now have mailboxes.
Player vs. Player

• PvP flag is now cleared immediately when hopping from a PvP realm to a PvE realm.
User Interface

• Vendor prices are now greyed out if there are insufficient funds.

• Item quality is now shown for listed vendor items (previously displayed golden colour regardless of quality).
Bug Fixes

• Weapons now properly scale for female blood elves. Weapon scaling for goblins, female humans and male and female tauren have also been adjusted.

• The texture for Chestplate of the Chosen Dead has been corrected.
Tidied up a bit - I'll continue to update this as more are found.

• 1Like

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
On one hand, it is silly that WQs give ever better rewards while being ever more trivial.

On the other hand, if WQ loot still matters to you, you don't need it made any harder. And this argument is doubly stupid when Sentinax portals just devolve into spamming as much AE as you can before the other faction tags them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's crazy to me is did they really put stuff out like the level scaling with no large scale testing? That's software 101 right there. People over the years have tried this at work and I've seen some serious stuff go wrong because of it - often with emergency patches. The difference for us of course was our customers could just leave - people will still play this game.

Oblivion had the novel idea of level scaling enemies to the player and guess what - THE SYSTEM WAS GARBAGE. There's more than a few reasons that people tout Skyrim and Morrowind as some of the greatest RPG experiences ever, and Oblivion is sort of this afterthought. Its a stupid design and the way they worded it was completely condescending. I'm sorry, but trash world mobs should not scale because I got a new piece of gear. It makes no sense in any way, shape or form. I'm stronger, so they're stronger - huh? If you wanted to buff world mobs that's fine, but do it in a smart way, not some stupid halfass way to extend content. My monk is still gonna kill world mobs in like 3 hits so it doesn't even affect me.

The other undocumented changes I don't really have a problem with, especially some quality of life ones like the mailbox in order halls.