World of Warcraft: Current Year

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea we had an inside guy from one of the US top 10 guilds that provides us with some of their weakauras (i cant disseminate further) we generally kept it on the down low. But its pretty much required for world first kills to have someone that has a level 7 weak aura black belt. Look at Method's first KJ kill from Sco's PoV he had one to tell him when to use certain abilities at what times.

Normal or even Heroic are probably fine to do without WA's but i dont think mythic raiding could exist without it.

for Mythic Avatar we have WA's that tell people which soak they need to get into, which beam they need to stand in (and a countdown to when they need to stand in it), how long I have to move maiden from point A to point B, and when the other tank needs a taunt. the only thing it doesn't do is put markers on the ground (they disabled this during WoTLK i think).
Aww come on. Share the love! Give it to Noodle or something, and we'll make sure it stays in the guild! Promise!

I also remember that one addon that would put holograms on the ground for you? That shit would raid for you basically. Was insane.

So what makes WA so amazing. I feel it's really taken over as a top addon, but the functionality has always been there hasn't it? Just was never needed?

Last edited:

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Basically WA can do anything assuming someone is willing to write it to function that way. At this point I don't even have action bars visible because all my key cool downs and whatever are packaged neatly and minimally in to my WA's.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, but make WA too useful and blizzard is going to remove them completely. I don't blame top guilds for never releasing them to everyone.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You cannot remove WA functionality. WA isn't a thing per se. It's an IDE (no, really). Breaking WA would mean breaking the language it's written on. If they tried to break WA they would render every addon in WoW useless. None of them would work anymore. It would be like Microsoft breaking .NET to stop people from using Visual Studio.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea we had an inside guy from one of the US top 10 guilds that provides us with some of their weakauras (i cant disseminate further) we generally kept it on the down low. But its pretty much required for world first kills to have someone that has a level 7 weak aura black belt. Look at Method's first KJ kill from Sco's PoV he had one to tell him when to use certain abilities at what times.

Normal or even Heroic are probably fine to do without WA's but i dont think mythic raiding could exist without it.

for Mythic Avatar we have WA's that tell people which soak they need to get into, which beam they need to stand in (and a countdown to when they need to stand in it), how long I have to move maiden from point A to point B, and when the other tank needs a taunt. the only thing it doesn't do is put markers on the ground (they disabled this during WoTLK i think).

Yea we also have a guy. WOW top 50, bring the programmer not the class.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

But then how would I track IP addresses through a web gui?

Depends. Do you have a walkman and a payphone?

giphy.gif

• 1Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather
You cannot remove WA functionality. WA isn't a thing per se. It's an IDE (no, really). Breaking WA would mean breaking the language it's written on. If they tried to break WA they would render every addon in WoW useless. None of them would work anymore. It would be like Microsoft breaking .NET to stop people from using Visual Studio.

But would it surprise you anymore? I'm surprised their lawyers haven't put a stop to addons yet.

Depends. Do you have a walkman and a payphone?

giphy.gif

Dude, I know the movie is so bad but I god damn love it and was the only reason I ever tried programming anything. It's gotta be my top 5 favorite bad movies of all time

Khane

Hackers is one of the great movies of the 90s. I make fun of it in the most loving way possible

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
lol look at this WA functionality (its actually tidy plates but holy shit).

this will get changed in a hotfix in the next 24 hours i bet.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Looks more like the old nameplate editing people were doing instead of WA, if it is, isn't that bannable? Why would they post that video lmao

Khane

The nameplate editing was all smoke and mirrors. The WAs accomplished almost the same thing. The nerfs to that "mod" meant exactly jack and shit. And they even still worked to some extent after the nerf they just showed circled colors over your head and you had to actually look a little bit around you. I can't believe that was even a fucking thing or people cried about star augur being "impossible" after that nerf went through. Are the people in the top 1% guild that pants on head retarded that they can't take the 1 second it took to figure out where the other colors were? Answer... no, they aren't.

And the DBM radar nerf.... lol... OH MY GOD I CAN'T SEE RADAR ANYMORE I GUESS I'LL LOOK AT THE SAME SHIT ON A SLIGHTLY BIGGER SCREEN

And for Spellblade? It still worked 100%, it even still drew the fucking lines. That whole "thing" just proved to me to how stupid Blizzard employees are... like that was the deciding factor in making a fight trivial or hard. It changed literally nothing in NH.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can access the blizzard api with weakauras so really you can do anything that any other add-on can do but importing and maintaining is super easy.

I mean I'm a software engineer so I'll start being "the guy", LUA looks like C with less care about semi colons lol. God knows work isn't making me program...

Khane

I wasn't exaggerating when I said WA was really just an IDE. A pretty intuitive one at that for what it's built on top of.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
so the general consensus is that they used a LUA unblocker to be able to modify the name plates like it shows.

The guild denies it and claims its a modification of tidy plates.

if its a LUA unlocker then its 100% bannable offense, but if its just a WA and coding string imported into tidy plates its fine and gg. The butt hurt in the youtube thread is amazing though.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did anyone see the interview with Method on their world first KJ kill? They literally created a custom macro that interacted with their lock portal in order to use the lock portal to skip doing a couple of the singularity mechanics (couldn't get knocked back while you were mid portal animation). The problem with a regular macro was that you could only send so many commands per second to the portal and people were caught not being able to click it. So they bound it to their mouse wheel (hello bunny hopping days) so that everyone would be able to do it.

I mean looking at that fight pre nerf still gives me goose bumps. It is pretty insane the level that Method and Exorsus are at, no other guilds even come close currently.

• 1Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather
The butt hurt in the youtube thread is amazing though.

This is my favorite part, and it's all by people that probably haven't even cleared heroic. Not that I'm anything impressive because I have or anything, but because it's always complete shitters crying about it.