World of Warcraft: Current Year

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
i have anubisath, and chrominius already at 25, so ill just grab the others, i have a few of the leveling stones laying around ill use to bump them.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If i want 3 battle pets and nothing more which 3 should i grab?

In terms of all-purpose battle pets for standard world quests and some pvp battling, I'd recommend:

Alliance Enthusiast / Horde Fanatic (pvp rewards) or Wyrmy Tunkins (archaeology). All of these pets have the ability Jar of Smelly Liquid, which causes the enemy pet to do 50% less damage and be 50% slower, and it's usable every other turn. This is huge, because it is super easy to basically nullify a lot of alpha strike abilities that would otherwise kill your pet. I can often solo WQs with just my Wyrmy Tunkins.

Ikky (an easy quest chain in WoD). Black Claw + Flock is usually enough to kill one or two pets in WQs. It doesn't work quite as well in pvp since people are smart and avoid that combo when they see it. That said, it can be used as a feint if you want to cause someone to switch pets in a pvp battle (to avoid a big alpha strike for example). Hit them with Black Claw, and almost guaranteed they will switch to another pet to avoid the Flock follow up.

Small Frog or any other pet with Frog Kiss. Frog Kiss is insanely powerful, but relies a bit on luck to proc. A couple lucky Frog Kiss transformations can completely ruin the enemy team. It can also serve as a decent team healer when necessary.

This is my standard team and I use it for pretty much all the regular WQs, and I often take it into pvp battles with decent success.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think the Nexus Whelpling is the only one that might be a bit on the expensive side.

Pretty sure Nexus Whelplings are common, I've grabbed plenty in no time. He has the level 25 stones to burn so go the simple route imo.

If anyone wants more fun whelplings, Scourged Whelpling and Infinite Whelpling are kind of interesting to use and not hard to get.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I did a quick check on the various pet strategies used for the Broken Isles and Argus "family" strategies (defeat all trainers/pets with pets of a single type) to guess what kind of pets are "core" to battling.

The 15 most used pets are (in order):
  • Unborn Val'kyr - Undead (rare pet battle in Northrend)
  • Ikky - Flying (quest in Spires of Arak)
  • Hydraling - Aquatic (named drop in Spires of Arak)
  • Zandalari Anklebiter - Beast (Zandalari Dinomancers in Isle of Giants)
  • Anubisath Idol - Humanoid (Twin Emperors in AQ)
  • Chrominius - Dragonkin (Chromaggus in BWL)
  • Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling - Mechanical (575 Engineering)
  • Infected Squirrel - Undead (pet battle in Eastern Plaguelands)
  • Kun-Lai Runt - Humanoid (pet battle in Kun-Lai Summit)
  • Nexus Whelpling - Dragonkin (pet battle in Coldarra)
  • Spawn of G'nathus - Aquatic (named drop in Townlong Steppes)
  • Teroclaw Hatchling - Flying (treasure in Talador)
  • Iron Starlette - Mechanical (quest intro prior to Cataclysm - may need an alt not to pick the Hero Call)
  • Nether Faerie Dragon - Dragonkin (pet battle in Feralas)
  • Pandaren Water Spirit - Elemental (progression quest for pet battlers in Pandaria)
The Unborn Val'kyr is mainly a combo pet, but the others are solid choices depending on what you're facing. All except pet battles are found on the AH, I think.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Another thing is that you don't really need to do pet battling to get your pets up: just do the pet charms missions at your class hall when one pops up, and you'll stock up upgrade and leveling stones. At least until 8.0 hit; when 8.0 hit, they're going to obsolete the current charms (will be usable only to purchase pets and toys from Draenor and Legion) and make new ones for further leveling.

So make sure you spend all your Pet Charms before 8.0 hits in July!

Rime

<Donor>
Yep.

Make sure to buy plenty of the Rarity Upgrade Stones and/or the Leveling Stones - I did a mixture of the Ultimate Stone (Auto-raises to 25) and a bunch of the add-one level stones (For pets at 20+). They are going to cost the new currency, which will also be used to purchase several toys/pets that will (should) be good money makers once you have your own.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Shit, good thing you guys mentioned that because I had no idea and am sitting on 6k+ charms.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Had a good haul yesterday. Finished up the achievements for 600 unique pets + catching 50 rare pets, then on the way to Durumu to do that part of Glory of the Thundering Raider I got the Ji-Kun mount. At that point I was feeling lucky so I decided to go after Invincible and sure enough... that dropped too.

• 4Like
  • 2Salty
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 6 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Had a good haul yesterday. Finished up the achievements for 600 unique pets + catching 50 rare pets, then on the way to Durumu to do that part of Glory of the Thundering Raider I got the Ji-Kun mount. At that point I was feeling lucky so I decided to go after Invincible and sure enough... that dropped too.
Grats man but FUCK YOU for Invincible drop. I've been farming that mount weekly on multiple toons and still haven't got him. It's starting to get annoying. I also been farm Black temple on 3 alts for Azzinoth blades. Trying to get the xmog for my DH. But yeah grats on those two mounts.

Khane

Don't worry, I had over 300 attempts for Invincible. One doesn't simply walk into Icecrown and get Invincible.

• 1Solidarity

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Pretty much settled on warlock for Bfa. decided to boost one and had to live with the shit lfr society until i can get a normal run in. few things i noticed...

I simmed a few classes in boosted gear, using purchased items to get them from 880-890 (mainly crafted legos). most classes do between 550k-650k at 890 there are a few outliers like DH/fire mage since they are so stat dependent they sim a little lower.

doing just things that require solo que'ing without any assistance from the guild and only purchasing lego shoulders and crafted helm/pants i hit ilevel 914 in a little under 8 hours of play time. I spent maybe 60k on things like primal oblit/lego shoulders/crafted pants/helm. this is all with minimal effort.

How are people still running around in sub 900 gear? does Blizz not advertise properly where to increase your gear level? are specs too complicated for people to know what stat they should be going for, example should frost mage say in their character pane "you want near 33% crit"? Should blizz try to implement rotation training areas in class halls to teach players basic spec mechanics? should blizz reimplement the proving ground challenges?

idk the answer to this stuff, but it seems a lot of people are failing basic class mechanics (or just don't care).

• 1Like

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think I am going to stick with Warrior for Bfa, especially with all the changes that have come to Fury now and they're still iterating on it. After playing it, it's really fun and I like what they did with raging blow with charges/can reset itself, the new meat cleaver making your next 2 abilities cleave, whirlwind actually giving you rage and chance to enrage. I've mainly just played the DK lately, but with the changes, I've wanted to play the warrior some more now.

I still have my DK that I can fall back on and Unholy looks good, I am still waiting to see what they are going to do with Frost.

It didn't take me long either to get some gear on my DK after I boosted it. I did have some help with a few M+ weekly carries from friends to get some gear out of the cache, but everything else has been from PUGs. I also was just extremely lucky with getting 6 of those bind on account legendary tokens for Death Knight specifically from my warrior. I had both BiS frost legendaries right after I boosted. Not sure why they still gate the ability to equip 2 legendaries behind the order hall. If I recall the time to learn it is few days or a week now (?), but still it's stupid.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I haven't tested Fury but the changes i saw posted look pretty solid. I thought about DK as well but after doing some testing unholy just didn't feel right (haven't played UH since WoTLK), and Blood feels like the slowest tank class (next to Guardian). I wanted to play something that would allow me to tank/dps but with all the new tank changes (threat etc) i dont think i even want to bother, they may have gone a step too far with tank homogenization. BrM will need at least 1-2 talent swaps/adjustments to keep me on the spec, and then WW doesn't appeal to me at all.

I basically stopped farming legos on my monk after i finished the BrM but managed to get bis for MW and WW, i wish you could accumulate tokens after you had 1 spec complete instead of having to farm for all 3.

i think the wear 2 legos thing is gated behind about 30-40 hours of research the first 2 traits are about an hour then 4, then 12, and i think the rest stay around 12 hours.

on another note i don't know if this is a permanent change or not but cast sequence macros aren't working on beta, i usually have blackoutstrike --> tiger palm in 1 button, that i just push twice and just once if i want to black out combo into other things and its currently not working.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I envy everyone changing mains. I can never do that because I'll lose all my green rep bars that my main (warrior) has. WTB account-wide rep!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If I end up playing BFA it's back to the Monk baby. That or Mage maybe.

Khane

I envy everyone changing mains. I can never do that because I'll lose all my green rep bars that my main (warrior) has. WTB account-wide rep!

Changing mains without account wide rep is really screwing me over for that new 100 exalted reputation mount coming in BfA

• 1Solidarity

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I care very little about reps on characters, i think Legion was the first expansion where i maxed every rep just because of the daily world quests everyone did for lego chances. i doubt ill max in bfa unless they give me something major.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Changing mains 3 times over the life of WoW has rekt my reputations as well. Shit sucks.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Depending on the rep, there's easy ways to raise it. Some factions have tabards and you can mow down lower level dungeons. Some have faction items. You can also get the Darkmoon Faire buff that gives 10% to exp/rep.