World of Warcraft: Current Year

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I believe those numbers. I am willing to bet that the sub number will drop under 1 million for the first time in many years in about 2 months. If not for the ability to pay with gold, the numbers would even be lower. This expansion was atrocious in all ways save for music and environment.

See, that's the part of this expansion that perplexes me - by all accounts, the art, music, world design is excellent. In fact, I could argue it's the best the game has ever been. Everything else within those environments though is mediocre to bad, and it's hard to believe that the oversight the art/music/animation team had just flat-out doesn't exist for the game design group. It's unnerving in fact, and makes the game "seem" better than it actually is - and it's a large reason why it took me so long to cancel. I enjoyed leveling my alliance alt to 120, I enjoyed my first character through Zandalar - I played with music on, enjoyed the environments and flavor stuff - once you hit 120 though, it dawns on you that it's all an illusion covering up the shit sandwich waiting for you at end game. It's almost impossible for me to believe that ANY of the people that made this game great at points throughout it's history still work at Blizzard. It feels like a Korean company bought WOW, and made an expansion trying to "be like blizzard" but everything is slightly fucked up. It's like being in Canada actually..... it's close enough to America, but something is fucked up behind the scenes

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ion was alright in Legion but BFA has made me realize he actually is just a goddamn dumbass

I don't know why people keep blaming the individuals. Blizzard's corporate goals are always front and center in their game design, it doesn't matter if it's Gurgthock, Furor, or tad10 designing the world -- they're not going to break Blizzard's corporate requirements for developing WoW. It's why Diablo 3 sucked ass and still sucks ass. It's why WoW hasn't been innovative since 2006. It's why they can't make a competitive eSports title for the life of them, and when they do (StarCraft 2), they fuck it up and run it into the ground. The company itself is toxic to advanced game design.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know why people keep blaming the individuals. Blizzard's corporate goals are always front and center in their game design, it doesn't matter if it's Gurgthock, Furor, or tad10 designing the world -- they're not going to break Blizzard's corporate requirements for developing WoW. It's why Diablo 3 sucked ass and still sucks ass. It's why WoW hasn't been innovative since 2006. It's why they can't make a competitive eSports title for the life of them, and when they do (StarCraft 2), they fuck it up and run it into the ground. The company itself is toxic to advanced game design.

Nobody was looking for revolutionary gameplay or massive changes. All that was requested was Legion but better. Instead, we received Legion but worse. Almost, if not all, of their design decisions within the game’s framework were terrible.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Doesn't matter. He's the face of the game, he can deal with the hate he receives

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Damn I can't seem to FORCE myself to log in to do my +10. I logged on on Tues to get my 385 Azerite Chest and did a 9 casually, but haven't played since. I have wanted to do a 10, but haven't had the will to log in. Now it's Monday night and I still don't have a 10 done and it feels like I have homework due tomorrow that I desperately don't want to do.

I think Asmongold's vid was pretty good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

This is true to an extent, but he's also the lead developer. If he can't make it work within the corporate goals (which I'm sure are something like keep people subbed longer through patch cycles, and keep it PG and accessible to a large demographic) then who else do you blame? To keep going on conjecture here, the appearance is he's a numbers guy. He works within the box. You can't have somebody like that as Lead Dev. Lead Devs for video games should be idea men, larger then life personalities, who's employees hate them because their demands are unrealistic.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Conspiracy theory time:

Hearthstone makes more money with far less staff and expenses. BFA is the start of drawing down Wow so they can justify moving more resources to some mobile gacha game or designing costumes in Overwatch for people that are starting to get tired of tugging it to Witch Mercy.

"After BFA the next expansion will be smaller because wow is old and isn't as big as it used to be."

"You didn't listen to us, the player base, so we unsubbed. We would come back if you weren't stupid."

"Each faction will have 2 zones to level from 120 to 130! We know legion had 4, BFA had 3, but these 2 zones will be full of lore and things to do! Also azerite was too complicated, so everyone is getting a cloak that has the same talents and abilities to pick for every class and every spec. You think you don't want this, but you do!"

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Conspiracy theory time:

Hearthstone makes more money with far less staff and expenses. BFA is the start of drawing down Wow so they can justify moving more resources to some mobile gacha game or designing costumes in Overwatch for people that are starting to get tired of tugging it to Witch Mercy.

"After BFA the next expansion will be smaller because wow is old and isn't as big as it used to be."

"You didn't listen to us, the player base, so we unsubbed. We would come back if you weren't stupid."

"Each faction will have 2 zones to level from 120 to 130! We know legion had 4, BFA had 3, but these 2 zones will be full of lore and things to do! Also azerite was too complicated, so everyone is getting a cloak that has the same talents and abilities to pick for every class and every spec. You think you don't want this, but you do!"

Me and my friends joke about this all the time. But I really think there might be some truth to it.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm on the verge of unsubbing myself but I'm holding out to see what they have in store for Blizzcon. I uninstalled all of my Blizzard games like Hearthstone, Diablo 3 and Overwatch and only WoW is left.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Conspiracy theory time:

They have pulled resources to whatever the new Diablo game is going to be. They announced Overwatch is in Quality of Life mode and that's the only changes that will be made to the game now. All the seasonal events won't have any new additions apart from new skins.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Well, here's to hoping that Blizzard will finally see that nobody really enjoys WoW anymore aside from the extremely hardcore, or the extremely casual players.
Then again it's headed by one of the dumbest motherfuckers in the game, so i won't hold my breath.

Not even casuals like me. There's exactly jack and shit to do. Level alts? Why? Farm gold? Can't do that anymore. I had 10 alts in Legion and there was always something quick to do and make gold. I've been losing cash since this expac went live, and I'll be damned if I am going to run around with 1000 other people picking herbs just so I can make a little bit of gold.

I KNEW they were going to fuck up BFA when they couldn't get the math right on AP in Legion. How many times did they fiddle with it until they got it right?

I do the daily WQ's in BFA on ONE character, still not to exalted on all but two factions. By this time in Legion, I had three max level characters.\

Point is...you know the game is royally fucked up when the easiest to please portion of the subscriber base has nothing to do.

Speaking of BFA wq's. I've been wondering where the fuck all the people are. I rarely see more than a handful of other people from either faction. I went to Argus to see what kind of power my L120 has, and the place was elbows to assholes filled with L120 people running around. Complete fail when the only fun people have in BFA is to run Legion wq's.

I'm really surprised Ion and the RL Boomkin still have jobs, especially with the massive decline in subs. The game simply will not progress with these two dolts working there in any capacity.

• 1Solidarity

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the "people are having fun in ways we didn't intend them to! It must STOP!!" is insane. Like I never understood the hate boner developers have for twinking. Like, why? What the actual fuck? I thought BFA was going to have strong twinking like Legion, but nope! It was too strong!! Fucking idiots.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Here is what I don’t understand about loot and WQ’s.

Why is there even a cap on ilvl scaling? If I have an average ilvl of 370 why can’t I get some gear that is 365 base? My average gear is higher so probably the majority of it just goes into the scrapper and ilvl doesn’t matter for that.

Is it just based on WF/TF? Is it because they don’t want poop sockers to poop even more?

You could have it scale indefinitely forever with pretty much no detriment.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Because, as you've seen in this very thread, people complain that loot acquisition is "too easy" and "there's no reason to play any other part of the game". People were bitching about the warfront and Arathi rares dropping 340 loot as if it was actually too good. 45 ilvls lower than Mythic raiding base ilvl and it was "too easy to gear up".

People want to feel important so they chew their own feet off to get noticed.

• 1Salty

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Because, as you've seen in this very thread, people complain that loot acquisition is "too easy" and "there's no reason to play any other part of the game". People were bitching about the warfront and Arathi rares dropping 340 loot as if it was actually too good. 45 ilvls lower than Mythic raiding base ilvl and it was "too easy to gear up".

People want to feel important so they chew their own feet off to get noticed.
I agree with that but Arathi doesn’t scale, you either get the loot or not.

WQ’s trigger scale off the gear you already have.

I am sure people would still whine.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Your main goal though is to bang that rare/warfront loot hard to get your base ilvl up before doing World Quests, because the higher your ilvl, the higher the WQ rewards will be.
Except you can't really do this, because you do need to be 320 before going to the Warfront. Unless you're swimming in gold/crafter alts, that's not happening before the WQ expires.