World of Warcraft: Current Year

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It absolutely was not. The exclamation marks and quest hubs made the whole game feel less like an open world and more like a theme park...but it was clearly more fun.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
WoW Classic was the same TBH. Maybe you died a bit more, but the map being highlighted/where to go has been in the game since day 1.

Mobs today tickled my character at the most, pulling two mobs was no threat. That definitely wasn't the case in classic.

I don't remember minimap arrows and highlighted areas for the quest objectives/mobs

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
They had addons pretty early on to show you where to quest. I definitely recall having an addon that would let you grab like 10 quests and then it would optimize the route you should take to complete them all. If I remember correctly it would even suggest when to hearthstone or die to speed up turn ins.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Questhelper did not come until later on but that's a moot point. That is a stupid complaint and always has been. It's a convenience that exists because of the way the game was made, questing is already a chore even with those highlights, why make it a burdensome chore? There are certain things that are tedious and or time consuming that add to your understanding of how to play the game. Not having quest markers isn't one of those.

• 2Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
You could argue it adds to immersion, makes you play more of the game and less of the interface and it gives you something to learn like you might miss a quest the first time questing somewhere then you remember that and the next time you are questing there on another character you use that knowledge and that is a kind of reward to a knowledgeable player versus a new player.
I'm not saying I think its great, I prefer the quest markers because I feel the convenience is just too great, but this is certainly one of those cases where you have to weigh the convenience against what is lost.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was it better to talk to NPCs and type in

What [Bear ass quest]?

Or worse who is the [master forrest] Eq was basically the MUD version of questing and blizzard just realized hey this is a visual game we can put in visual queues to let people know who has quests.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
say Hail, a Bear Ass Collector
a Bear Ass Collector says "Do you want to help me [collect bear asses]?"
say I will help you collect bear asses
a Bear Ass Collector says "Of course you will, because you're a chump. Go to West Karana and kill some bears. Bring me 20 asses and I'll give you a pittance for them. Off with you!"

No, that's not great gameplay.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You could argue it adds to immersion, makes you play more of the game and less of the interface and it gives you something to learn like you might miss a quest the first time questing somewhere then you remember that and the next time you are questing there on another character you use that knowledge and that is a kind of reward to a knowledgeable player versus a new player.
I'm not saying I think its great, I prefer the quest markers because I feel the convenience is just too great, but this is certainly one of those cases where you have to weigh the convenience against what is lost.

Questing isn't an adventure and it isn't immersive in WoW's implementation. It's "questing" in name only, there is nothing in 98% of the quest lines in the game that contributes to story or character development other than "here's some exp, see you next level". This isn't a new development, it's been that way since day 1 of release.

Arguing to remove something like quest markers in a game like WoW that revolves entirely around mundane tasks they decided to call "quests" is silly.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I actually forgot that we had to 'h'ail everything in EQ. It really was a system that needed help.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Arguing to remove something like quest markers in a game like WoW that revolves entirely around mundane tasks they decided to call "quests" is silly.

Who is arguing? I pointed out that levelling in WoW today is ez mode, at least up until 16.

If all you want to do is rush to the level cap then you might like the quest on rails approach. Levelling in 2004 was a lot different to the current experience, that's for sure. Whilst typically I race(d) to 60, having the quest-arrows system in original WoW would have ruined a lot of the immersion and world exploration

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
BfA feels a lot like Classic in that you can really only fight one mob at a time once you hit 120. Feels absolutely terrible after leveling from 110-119, where everything just falls over and then you're fighting the same shit at 120 and you get knocked over if you aggro more than 3 (at least until you get about 320 ilvl). At least when you were forced to fight one mob at a time leveling originally from 1-60, you had new mobs to fight every 5-10 levels.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
WoW Classic was the same TBH. Maybe you died a bit more, but the map being highlighted/where to go has been in the game since day 1.
Not entirely true. Vanilla had quest markers but the map was not highlighted. I remember this specifically because you'd have to go to thottbot and look at the comments for the coords where quest mobs were.

• 2Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't think anyone who didn't play legion should be turned off of BfA (if they really want to play WoW anyway). It's functional, the story (on alliance anyway) was decent - more entertaining to me than the legion shit - and the dungeons and raids are decent as well. The azerite gear is super lame, but if you are like me and just do some medium keys and heroic raids you can completely ignore it and no one will care or know the better.

Not trying to be an "apologist" or say the overwhelming negativity isn't warranted, it's just that I'm in the same trap I have been for 10 years. There's nothing better for me to play.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't think anyone who didn't play legion should be turned off of BfA (if they really want to play WoW anyway). It's functional, the story (on alliance anyway) was decent - more entertaining to me than the legion shit - and the dungeons and raids are decent as well. The azerite gear is super lame, but if you are like me and just do some medium keys and heroic raids you can completely ignore it and no one will care or know the better.

Not trying to be an "apologist" or say the overwhelming negativity isn't warranted, it's just that I'm in the same trap I have been for 10 years. There's nothing better for me to play.
Not playing wow and playing a fuck load of single player games and not being tied to raid nights is pretty awesome

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users