World of Warcraft: Current Year

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I feel bad for streamers who has to play this game for a living especially if they are not making tons of money like Asmongold. Some based their whole streaming career on WoW. Asmon started streaming other games cause he saw the writing in the wall. I guess it pays to be a variety streamer.
Why feel.bad for them? The game is 14 years old. That's a foolish life choice

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Classic wow was an amazing upgrade over eq1 but shit has moved on a long way and people just are not going to put up with what we did in wow classic any more than they would staring at a spell book for 5 minutes to regain mana.
Eh I think classic will be popular. Obviously it has some big class/spec balance issues but aside from that its a solid game. You can say "muh quality of life" all you want but look at WoW today with its endless QoL improvements compared to classic, its a shell of its former self that feels like a single player game with a lobby. Also who knows what modern QoL improvements they will carry over. They already said their shareable loot system will be carried from modern. Wouldnt surprise me if they include duel specs or other similar changes.

Yeah there will be a good chunk of people who only resub for 1-2 months out of nosalgia but if EQ(a game viewed with far thicker rose tinted glasses) can continuously release multiple tlp servers every few years then no reason at all WoW's wont be at the very least as successful. Just look at the classic>wotlk emulated servers. Even with how horribly they are managed they have continued to draw big crowds over and over. But compared to a legit server where you dont have to deal with legal threats, admin favoritism, your personal info being compromised etc.? Going to attract so many more people.

• 1Like

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Agreed. Be interesting to see how streaming evolves, and I bet some will be able to adapt, but to me it seems like spending 10 years playing nothing but vidya games and not developing some other skillset/tradecraft is a serious lack of foresight. Being dedicated to one game and banking on its longevity is as Noodleface Noodleface stated, a terrible life-choice.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
only purple quality ones give residium it looks like. The new 355 wq ones are now listed as blue. I was able to get residium from blowing up existing purple 375 azerite stuff from before the patch.
That's what bothers me, because I did scrap 2 Uldir 375 pieces. They did not give me residuum (my total hasn't moved at all so it's not a missing message or something).

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think people who switch back to classic with rose tinted goggles on will get a rude awakening. The classic talent trees were a fucking mess and the classes rotations were a lot more simplified than even what we currently see. I think a lot of people think they want classic but when they go back to it will realize there is a reason a lot of shit changed over the years.

I don't think there is as many "Classic or bust" people as Blizzard or the forum community thinks.

Most of us are "WOTLK only" crowd. Those emulators did big numbers.

Nobody in my former raid force gives or has ever given a shit about classic. Maybe a few rogue player shitkids are giddy, that's about it.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

The whole monetization of gaming is a fairly new thing, right? Youtube, now Twitch. It's not an old market; especially Twitch which can bring in lots of cash. Not to be harsh on a lot of streamers, but it seems the popular ones didn't have much going on in their lives before Youtube/Twitch came along, so why not milk the easy cow down to the kneecaps while the miking is good.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Thinking about it, I'm glad we figured out BfA was shit so early on the expac. Unlike WOD which at the front was fun, had a great story/quest line, stuff to do, and didn't give up on itself until the last 18months. We knew on prepatch this was going to suck once the class changes nuked any fun out of the combat.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
I don't think there is as many "Classic or bust" people as Blizzard or the forum community thinks.

Most of us are "WOTLK only" crowd. Those emulators did big numbers.

Nobody in my former raid force gives or has ever given a shit about classic. Maybe a few rogue player shitkids are giddy, that's about it.

Yup. I would play the shit out of a WoTLK or MOP official server. Those two expansions for me were the height of class design and game play combined with high end raiding content. We'll just forget cata exists. MoP in particular for ele shaman game play and WotLK for holy/prot pally and hunter game play.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Thinking about it, I'm glad we figured out BfA was shit so early on the expac. Unlike WOD which at the front was fun, had a great story/quest line, stuff to do, and didn't give up on itself until the last 18months. We knew on prepatch this was going to suck once the class changes nuked any fun out of the combat.

WoD classes were very fun to play which gives it a ginormous advantage over BFA for me. Sure there was nothing to do, but when there was stuff to do the game was at its peak for me personally. Also paladins were broken. And gladiator war was a thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
WoD had great class design for sure. Warlocks and shadow priests were amazingly fun to play.

• 1Like

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed WoD. I liked that you could have 2 professions, and still be able to gather the materials (I think each profession should come with the required gathering skill anyways). I didnt mind the garrisons, It was cool crafting gear for alts. Didnt really dig prot warior much but fury wasnt bad. Overall I enjoyed it.

I am sorry I bailed on the game during Cata and missed MoP. By most accounts it was the height of the game, I consider WoTLK to be the best it was other than that.

BfA is a mess.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Class design was okay in Cata. The rest of the xpac sucked though IMO. For my money the three best xpacs were WotLK, Legion, and MoP. Like I said in the previous post MoP and WotlK had for me the best class design + content. Legion just had so much content that you always had something to do and the class design was good for the most part once you had your weapon unlocked. Cata/WoD were mostly crap with class design propping them up. BC is remembered fondly but I think thats mostly rose colored classes because the class design was fairly monotonous still with one button macro bm hunters topping most raids or melees doing most of their damage as white damage. The raid design was pretty good though. BFA is in a tier of its own with underwhelming raid content so far and absolute trash class design and overarching game play.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think it was WoTLK where the 1 button BM hunters were kings wasn't it? TBC is where class design actually got interesting. Especially if you were one of the previously ignored specs (guardian druid, shadow priest, etc).

There are a ton of parallels to draw from between Cata and BfA. Cata was where they got rid of the talent trees and replaced them with the 3 choice rows and was the first real ability prune. It also took a bunch of systems from the previous expansion, which were widely regarded as a success, and made them worse for the sake of "difficulty". All this without really adding anything new. Cata was more of the same of WoTLK but not as fun. BfA is more of the same of Legion but not as fun. The Azerite system is somehow worse than Legion's legendary system at launch. Which is kind of impressive. And the neck is a much, much worse version of Artifact weapons.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
That's what bothers me, because I did scrap 2 Uldir 375 pieces. They did not give me residuum (my total hasn't moved at all so it's not a missing message or something).

If you got them before patch 8.1 you won't get residuum. If you got it after you would have.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
1 button BM was TBC. I had a hunter alt that I could compete with Sean on meters in BT raids by just spamming that button heh. I agree though that TBC was were classes got interesting, it's my biggest fear with the classic server is that shit like balance/shadow/BM/surv. etc are just not playable.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
1 button BM was definitely TBC. TBC was when a lot of various specs actually became viable though compared to Vanilla, which was actually fun putting together different group synergy in raids. I know Wrath gets its love as a great expansion, but it was the beginning of the current lobby model with the onset of LFG for 5 mans. Also all the welfare epics people got out of the super watered down Naxx raid and how easy 5 man heroics were...it was a big turnoff from some of the challenge of TBC. I'll give Ulduar and Icecrown the props they deserve for being great raids, and Wrath did go further with making a lot of the class designs better that I felt started in TBC, though.

I just feel like Wrath was when they started to cave into the lobby design, and it was also during that expansion that they started the two tier token system eventually for gear (started out at 3 or 4, then they just went with the 2 tier of current and previous tier). By the end of Wrath I was ready to actually quit WoW because it wasn't the same game it had been, despite a lot of the good stuff.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Eh I think classic will be popular. Obviously it has some big class/spec balance issues but aside from that its a solid game. You can say "muh quality of life" all you want but look at WoW today with its endless QoL improvements compared to classic, its a shell of its former self that feels like a single player game with a lobby. Also who knows what modern QoL improvements they will carry over. They already said their shareable loot system will be carried from modern. Wouldnt surprise me if they include duel specs or other similar changes.

Yeah there will be a good chunk of people who only resub for 1-2 months out of nosalgia but if EQ(a game viewed with far thicker rose tinted glasses) can continuously release multiple tlp servers every few years then no reason at all WoW's wont be at the very least as successful. Just look at the classic>wotlk emulated servers. Even with how horribly they are managed they have continued to draw big crowds over and over. But compared to a legit server where you dont have to deal with legal threats, admin favoritism, your personal info being compromised etc.? Going to attract so many more people.

EQ TLP is far from classic, though. They also don't hold peoples attention for very long

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If you got them before patch 8.1 you won't get residuum. If you got it after you would have.
Oooooh, that might be it. I think I had all my azerite from HM since november...

Thanks. I was going to think weird bug, but they did not want people farming to get residuum early, so... (well it's only three 370 pieces)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Class design was okay in Cata. The rest of the xpac sucked though IMO. For my money the three best xpacs were WotLK, Legion, and MoP. Like I said in the previous post MoP and WotlK had for me the best class design + content. Legion just had so much content that you always had something to do and the class design was good for the most part once you had your weapon unlocked. Cata/WoD were mostly crap with class design propping them up. BC is remembered fondly but I think thats mostly rose colored classes because the class design was fairly monotonous still with one button macro bm hunters topping most raids or melees doing most of their damage as white damage. The raid design was pretty good though. BFA is in a tier of its own with underwhelming raid content so far and absolute trash class design and overarching game play.

Yeah Cata was that "alright the greatness of WOTLK is over" expac. Most of us quit during mid Cata for the next several years.

Once you've seen pinnacle of design there is no point hanging around. It wasn't until Legion that most of those people came back. Now that they've scuttled WoW's Legion-fueled revival with BFA, I'm interested to see if they've got another one in the tank in a few years. I literally sold BFA to my friends on "They can't just throw away Legion momentum, so BFA gotta be at least decent". I repeated this tag-line for a few weeks in an effort to sell BFA to my guild. I lost a lot of credibility.

If they did it just recently with Legion, it's certainly not impossible to someday see another great expac that receives widespread critical acclaim.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I finished up an Alliance character to see their side of the story. Any remaining good will I had towards the game has evaporated. Everything is a chore in disguise.

I will say that the leveling was pretty good. I'd like to see them rework the level scaling so you could choose to do an entire expansion as your 60-110 or whatever. As it stands now one or two zones is all you get to see before you are on your way. I'd have been perfectly fine doing all my leveling in Pandaria or Warlords and was sad to leave both so quickly. Also, the lightforged space goat space laser is a fucking fun button to press.

• 6Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users