World of Warcraft: Current Year

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why invest hundreds of millions of dollars and years of development into a AAA MMORPG skinner box, when you could instead funnel money into a mobile "MMO Lite" skinner box for a fraction of the amount, with a much better profit to cost ratio?

The only new MMO's I see nowadays are on the mobile platform and they all suck and they all make tons of cash. Ex. Lineage 2 Revolutions
This is gaming in general now. Zero reason to produce big traditional titles when you can earn just as much for far less risk with some micro transaction riddled flavor of the month piece of shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Never going to see a better explanation on why wow is shitty than by your boy, Asmongold, who has been a basement dwelling full time WOW player since 2005... lol TLDW: Asmongold was addicted to painkillers and forging/inability to get BIS items ruined the overall experience and slowly wore him down to his current state.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MMOs are, sadly (if you enjoy them), going the way of the dodo. Only older people tend to play them, all the 'kids' are so caught up in their Battle Royales and whatnot these days. Now, if I could just keep them off of my darn lawn.
In my thick raid group two if us are over 40, another two over 30. Of the remaining 16, 13 are in college. Is it really an old man's game? My last guild the demographic was similar.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I find it to be older people as well. It's rare that I run into someone below 20. There are still a decent number of low to mid 20s players but I would say the majority of people I know are 25+.

Also, I would agree that not being able to target bis items really makes the game worse. It is constant disappointment week in & week out. Gearing is extremely unsatisfying in this game.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You guys seem to forget that Everquest was a successful and profitable game with a few hundred thousand subs. So MMORPGs aren’t dead and while many of these publishers are going to faster, bigger, easier dollars there will still be an audience for a more niche game out of 8 billion mother fuckers getting a few hundred thousand to play a well made MMORPG isnt some grand feat. I have been saying for the last 10 or so years that really the next big breakthrough for RPGs will be when VR becomes accessible enough. It will be just like EQ it will be the jump from MUD text based to a Visual base all over again. So Visual to Virtual will be the new addiction and I could see millions of people jumping in. It doesn’t have to be some ready player one shit or some sword art online futuristic type shit. Just a basic virtual world with simple graphics but a real persistent world would make a fucking mint.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I had an old IRA account I'd forgotten about, and recently "found" it again while sorting some paperwork. Not much in it - about $2500. I was going to roll it over into my main IRA, but I decided to have some fun instead. I dumped it all into Activision stock, since the bottom dropped out. 60-something shares, not much. Almost half the revenue of the company I work for comes from mobile. It's mind boggling, and I can't understand how kids play games created for the PC on mobile, but they do.

Blizzard owns some great IPs, and as much as I know this forum isn't interested in mobile Diablo or Starcraft, there's a market for it. And so far they've done what on mobile? Hearthstone? That POS is heading towards $700m in revenue. I think they can do much better if they take mobile seriously - and they will, once they see the money start pouring in from their shitty reskinned game.

Time will tell if this was silly on my part, but, I put my money where my mouth is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Mobile gaming fucking blows. It is disappointing to see it rise in popularity.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Mobile gaming sucks shit but people can’t be separated from their shitty fucking phones and these companies know how stupid children are so they buttfuck their stupid little brains with gambling level micro transactions. I am sure Activision is going to make money, I doubt anyone here thinks otherwise still it’s sad to see Blizzard a gaming company who had a history of being for gamers by gamers thrown to the wayside.

Also it’s also painful to see how fucking dumb Blizzard has been over the years. They want to focus on esports with garbage like Overwatch neglecting the fact they could have been the undisputed kings of esports if they didn’t ignore the Starcraft scene like retarded faggots, and then ignoring DoTA like retarded faggots, instead they are pushing these pieces of shit things. It’s the disconnect from reality. The things that grew naturally they pissed on and the shit they force out blow gorilla dick.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
That's great for Blizzard/Activision, but absolutely shit for everyone who has played their games since the first iterations of said games....ON FUCKING PC.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
It’s a personal pet peeve on mmorpgs but you don’t have to increase the level cap every expansion and make the previous one absolutely obsolete. In Luclin it was still worth it to go back for ToV and ST. I didn’t play much into GoD but we still went back to clear Time for new recruits or alts when we weren’t busy flagging.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It’s a personal pet peeve on mmorpgs but you don’t have to increase the level cap every expansion and make the previous one absolutely obsolete. In Luclin it was still worth it to go back for ToV and ST. I didn’t play much into GoD but we still went back to clear Time for new recruits or alts when we weren’t busy flagging.

Honestly the levels in BFA were 100% pointless in that you got weaker when leveling up and Ion the idiot faggot has made all progression ilvl based with crazy levels of inflation after the squish witch totally defeats the fucking purpose in the first place.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's something that's really never made sense to me. I mean, it does, it's how they force you to purchase the new expansion, but still. My level 110 alt was sitting at 15k? hps, but my 120 sits at 186k. That's really, really, dumb.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck mobile gaming indeed, last Blizzcon was an absolute debacle : live announcing Diablophone to a $200 ticket PC crowd by some random T-shirt yesman crawling out of his den telling gamers they'd better have phones was probably the worst reveal ever. Not only the presentation instantly became a meme, they also told it's gonna be developed out-house by Netease, which is basically chinese Satan with microtransactions, gambling devil.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Not gonna lie even though I stopped playing WoW I still love watching the MDI. Looks like warriors have replaced death knights as king of mythic plus dunegons? I really wish FFXIV had M+ type dunegons.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's largely due to this "Season" having a special mechanic that rewards being able to quickly clear large AOE packs (the ghosts that spawn and swarm the party every X% of clear). Prot Warrior is big dick AOE DPS. They also made Ignore Pain easier to use, making the spec feel a lot better.

Molten Core Raider
And oh my god listening to the death knights cry is glorious! booo hoo, they arent THE premier 5 man tank for the first time in 4? 5? expansions...And they are still quite solid.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Main thing I've heard the DKs being pissy about is both of their DPS specs getting bodied this expansion.