World of Warcraft: Current Year

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I really dont get why they havent added Ogres and Vrykul as races. Very much liked, very connected to the game's history and story.

Instead they give people paraplegic gnomes that no one wanted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just give me ALL of my abilities back, including all the situational ones that I might only use once a day, and let me load up my action bars as I see fit damn it! Motherfuckers.

eq21ui.jpg

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I really dont get why they havent added Ogres and Vrykul as races. Very much liked, very connected to the game's history and story.

Cuz every mage would race change to ogre. I definitely fucking would. Wait, again, why don't they do this? That's a lot of money.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Old talents are never coming back. It's pretty telling when most games out there that copied the WoW talent system ended up ditching it for a simplified version.

On paper, you have the chance to make a "unique character". In practice, you're still stuck with 2-3 viable talent point investment options, with everything else being sub-optimal or completely gimping your character. Talent point systems have always been an illusion of choice.
Sort of. There was also sacrifice/reward for being able to fill multiple roles on the same character. Druid had something like 5-7 different builds, but with spec specific talents it's not really a thing anymore. And once they minimized talents to what they're at now, you basically flop 2-3 of them depending on the fight, and none of them are at all character defining, just fight efficiencies. It just becomes a nuisance rather than an investment.

Fix one thing, cause three new problems.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

I think I saw a shadowlands race that uses the same model rigging as vyrkul. Might get them as an allied race later on.

xzi

Mouthbreather

OGRE MAGI OR BUST

ogre shaman is also acceptable

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ogre Mage but they get Bloodlust instead of Time Warp

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just give me ALL of my abilities back, including all the situational ones that I might only use once a day, and let me load up my action bars as I see fit damn it! Motherfuckers.
I've been macroing abilities together to help me play with a PS4 controller.

I don't know why they don't merge abilities together to trigger depending on context.

Like if a Druid casts Entangling Roots on a Dragon it'll Hibernate it instead. Or a Priest casting Shackle Undead on a non Undead will instead cast Soothe Mind.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Old talents are never coming back. It's pretty telling when most games out there that copied the WoW talent system ended up ditching it for a simplified version.

On paper, you have the chance to make a "unique character". In practice, you're still stuck with 2-3 viable talent point investment options, with everything else being sub-optimal or completely gimping your character. Talent point systems have always been an illusion of choice.

That argument, if accepted, has no end point - why have multiple talents when one is the best ? why have specs when one of them is the best ? Why have different classes if one of them is the best ? Why have things that are only fun or flavor ?

Slippery slope sure, but Blizzard have been happily sailing down it for quite a few expansions now.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The more I read about Shadowlands the more I get the nagging feeling that they're trying desperately to pull a Hail Mary. That this is the expansion that will either make or break WoW as a leading MMO. If they pull it off they'll have enough fans to keep it being a gold mine for a few more years, even expansions, but if they miss it will soon become completely F2P and micro-transaction hell, left with a small core of second rank devs hammering out mediocre tiny expansion packs using rehashed models, while the main team goes to new pastures.

Anyone else have the same feeling?

• 3Like

Argarth

On the verandah
The more I read about Shadowlands the more I get the nagging feeling that they're trying desperately to pull a Hail Mary. That this is the expansion that will either make or break WoW as a leading MMO. If they pull it off they'll have enough fans to keep it being a gold mine for a few more years, even expansions, but if they miss it will soon become completely F2P and micro-transaction hell, left with a small core of second rank devs hammering out mediocre tiny expansion packs using rehashed models, while the main team goes to new pastures.

I kinda get the Hail Mary feeling from some of the latest commentary. Like, they might actually be a little scared that they've spreadsheet-ed so much of the fun out of the game, that even the people who would pay a sub just for a regular Blizzard Golden Shower might finally be getting pissed off. (kek)

But who knows with Blizzard these days. They're just as likely to do a complete about face or a double back-flip, as anything else. I hardly even care anymore to be frank.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Bliz is a company that is definitely past its prime. They are just riding the coattails of their past victories. It ain't everyday that a company creates not only genre defining titles but also from those titles spawns entire other genres of games. That then spawn even more genres of games. All of which worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

But that talent and drive isn't there. Remember WOW vanilla was made with a department of like a hundred people or something. Now they are able to do even less despite having vastly more resources.

I have read about the, "collapse of AAA gaming." This idea is that as these budgets just get bigger and bigger the games they make need to perform better and better. Which means that nobody is willing to take risks on a 100 man developer team challenging a genre. It won't be until some company does succeed at that that that (lol fucking English) will happen. One can argue that Fortnite and such are games that meet the criteria. But for those of us that love MMORPG/ARPG/RTS and everything Bliz has been known for it doesn't help any.

It's true that RTS is basically a dead genre right now.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather

people been saying this since WoD beta

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

I agree with you that they're just trying to make their game not suck again, but I wouldn't call it a hail mary. A hail mary would be going all out trying to attract new/returning players.

The changes they're making sound great for to the people who have been suffering and eating Blizz's shit sandwich through BFA, but I don't really see what the hook is for this expansion for new/returning players.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If the rougelike tower is an in depth system with lots of options and stuff they will have me back.

Problem is I just don't think it will be. Or it will have hard timesinks on a number of things making it a piece of shit.