World of Warcraft: Current Year

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't mind timesinks or grinds if you can actually go at your own pace and not be handcuffed by a limited daily attempt/reset timer.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind timesinks or grinds if you can actually go at your own pace and not be handcuffed by a limited daily attempt/reset timer.

That's what I meant. Handcuffed timesinks where you cannot progress until their magical gate unlocks in 3 weeks. I expect it so much now I'd be shocked if they didn't implement one.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Was listening to a video with Preach last night speaking after they interviewed Ion and they were pretty much saying that the general timeframe they were getting from blizzard for Shadowlands was late 2020, like December late.

If that's true I have to wonder what the fuck they're going to do with BFA. Are they going to pull a Siege of Orgrimmar and make it a 14 months tier? Because please no. I wonder if the Black Empire really still might be coming even past 8.3. Or if we're REAL hopeful, maybe a new class in 8.4? (doubt it lmao)

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

I guaran-fucking-tee that there's going to be daily/weekly caps on Anima/Whatever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah or the soft cap of just not getting the multipliers from Artifact Research or Anima Research or whatever you want to fucking call it. So it just trickles in after you grind as much as they think a rational person would grind.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was listening to a video with Preach last night speaking after they interviewed Ion and they were pretty much saying that the general timeframe they were getting from blizzard for Shadowlands was late 2020, like December late.

If that's true I have to wonder what the fuck they're going to do with BFA. Are they going to pull a Siege of Orgrimmar and make it a 14 months tier? Because please no. I wonder if the Black Empire really still might be coming even past 8.3. Or if we're REAL hopeful, maybe a new class in 8.4? (doubt it lmao)

8.3 December/Mid Jan. 8.3.5 April/May. Scourge invasions 2.0 August/Sept. 9.0 November

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The more I read about Shadowlands the more I get the nagging feeling that they're trying desperately to pull a Hail Mary. That this is the expansion that will either make or break WoW as a leading MMO. If they pull it off they'll have enough fans to keep it being a gold mine for a few more years, even expansions, but if they miss it will soon become completely F2P and micro-transaction hell, left with a small core of second rank devs hammering out mediocre tiny expansion packs using rehashed models, while the main team goes to new pastures.

Anyone else have the same feeling?
I thought that was Legion, and then BFA came out. So you may be late on this, and Blizzard just hasn't realized it yet.

Khane

There are a lot of systems in recent expansions that people liked, they just hated the implementation. Fixing the implementation to fix those systems is hardly a Hail Mary.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One incentive of the tower is that you need to run it to build your legenadies

I mean, color me grey in this conversation - but I already have a pretty good damn idea that the tower is going to be about as entertaining as a Mobile Games version of a tower climb. The Tower is a new system, so since the devs want you to "try" their new system - now its "required" to progress, just like World Quest Dailies. When we first heard about Islands, the possibilities of what they could have been got your imagination to run wild and look how they turned out. Taking bets that even though you can climb 50 levels in the tower - that once you've made it past the first 3 levels, your Anima Power is capped for the week from that source. The next week, your tower level falls down 2 levels from your top level climbed. You can climb to the top of the difficulty level quickly, but you would just be screwing yourself into working harder to get that last level.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I assume the tower is going to be heavily influenced by their previous withered army/chromie/nzoth invasion thingies, just with some roguelike elements tossed into the mix. Something you get better at through progression until it's just a grindy boring mess.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I assume the tower is going to be heavily influenced by their previous withered army/chromie/nzoth invasion thingies, just with some roguelike elements tossed into the mix. Something you get better at through progression until it's just a grindy boring mess.

Withered army was pretty good. It was just retarded because if you were any tank class you just destroyed it without even trying. If you were a warlock or something the withered army sucked dick for a long time.

Damn I hope the tower isn't like that... oh wait. Fuck.

• 1Worf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Withered army was pretty good. It was just retarded because if you were any tank class you just destroyed it without even trying. If you were a warlock or something the withered army sucked dick for a long time.

Damn I hope the tower isn't like that... oh wait. Fuck.

I enjoyed it until you unlocked everything and then it was just a long monotonous task not worth the effort required.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The first time that stealth asshole jumped you in the rotunda was a pretty "oh shit" moment. Withered losing they god damn minds.

Once you knew he existed/was always part of the run, significantly less impressive.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

I liked the Withered Army thing in Legion. I was a Shadow Priest and TJT TJT , you're right.. It took me weeks to get through it on that class. But it wasnt long before I had completed the thing and was proud of myself for beating it. Grind it a few more times to finish up all the chests, and by that point.. my rep was at the point I didnt need to do it anymore anyways. I feel like if they would have made the layout random, sort of like a level generator for Diablo - then it would have a longer shelf life. Also tune it for classes that have dick all problems in there, such as the tank differences that were mentioned. But did they even go that far? Did they put in anymore thought into it? Not at all. They moved on and dropped it like they do everything else. They could have added extra twists into it each week like Mythic or just.. something.

As far as talents go, I feel like they are purely designed from the perspective that limited talent choices causes little to no variability in their design choices. If they want to stick with that, I'm personally cool with it. But drop the facade, own up to it and try to make it cool from that perspective. I loved some of the ability changes that happened to my Shadow Priest in Legion from the Artifact traits. More Void Tentacles when I Mind Flay? Yes please! More and more orbs spinning faster and faster the deeper into Insanity I go? Yes please. They drop some awesome particle effects that are tied to abilities each and every expansion - why waste that art asset? Give that Mage the ability to change his Frozen Orb into an Arcane Orb instead etc.

A lot of people love the Star Chart that is the Talent Tree of Path of Exiles - but the entire philosophy behind WoW would have to change for it to be implemented in a similar fashion. At least in my opinion.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

I think the backlash kinda hit a high point over BFA, so the idea that this might be a Hail Mary (even if Legion kind of was too) might be legit.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
BTW what I mean by a Hail Mary in this case is that I feel they are trying to recreate their past glory days by lvl squishing, bringing back abilities and complexity and such. They are changing so many core elements of the game this time round that I just get this feeling of desperation.

Khane

That's what they do every expansion since Cataclysm.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Also it doesn't feel like they're changing it to many NEW things...they're just trying to go back to a lot of old things that people liked/talk about how they wish were still a thing and selling it off as NEW changes.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Covenants have huge potential, even some form of talent trees but you have to watch the deep dive to even get that vibe from them. The video they released did a very bad job on any features they actually talked about tbh.