World of Warcraft: Current Year

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Covenants have huge potential, even some form of talent trees but you have to watch the deep dive to even get that vibe from them. The video they released did a very bad job on any features they actually talked about tbh.

The concern there is always going to be min/maxing stuff where certain ones are just clearly better than others. Especially since they make it seem it'll be hard to swap between different covenants. I know someone a page or two back was talking about whether talent trees or the pick 1 of 3 tier things there's always going to be a best...but when I came back for Legion I kind of liked the different builds you had with the 1 of 3 and the different legendaries that made the optimal setups for different fights a thing you would swap between.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

• The new level range is 1-60. Every level will unlock something
    • Level 1-10: New modern starting zone. Exile's Reach. Existing racial/class zones.
    • Level 10-50: Expansion of your choice.
    • Level 50-60: Shadowlands
  • Level 10-50 in the expansion of your choice.
  • Level speed is 60-70% faster from 1 to 50.
  • The new starting zone is Exile's Reach and comes with its own story and ends in its own dungeon.
  • Demon Hunters and Death Knights start at level 1.
  • Allied races start at level 10.
  • Tons of extra options for every single race (over 40).
  • Death Knights can now be any race.
  • Return of a major focus to your class.
  • Iconic class abilities set to return (auras, deathcoil).
  • Quest through 4 zones, where you'll learn about 4 covenants and at level cap, decide on joining one.
    • Kyrians - Angelic Soul Guides
    • Necrolords - Liches, Warlords, and Spies
    • Night Fae - Guardians of Nature and Shepherds of the cycle
    • Venthyr - Vampiric punishers of the unworthy
  • Joining Covenants grants unique abilities.
  • Joining Covenants also grants Soulbinds, these are like talent trees.
  • Covenants provide unique cosmetics, such as back items, mounts, and armor sets.

BlizzCon 2019 - Developer Interview - MMO-Champion

Leveling
  • The team is working hard to make sure the flow of the new leveling experience makes sense.
  • Between the new player zone and Battle for Azeroth, the team is adding an interstitial experience. A new player might learn how to navigate a city, find flight masters, choose your spec, and getting a mount.
  • If you're going to be sending new and existing players into Battle for Azeroth, it makes a lot of sense for them to have a mount.
  • The team is still talking about what level getting Mage Portals is appropriate. It doesn't make sense for players to be suddenly restricted from things they used to be able to do.
  • If you aren't in Chromie time, zones will only scale up to the cap for that expansion. You can still level that way though!
  • If you want to go back to Pandaria and farm for transmog or rares, you wouldn't want the zone scaling, so you need Chromie Time to scale it.
  • Players will be scaled down in level in a natural way, keeping in mind the expansion milestones, such as being level 100 at the end of Warlords.
  • There will not be a stat squish. It's very important that players feel just as powerful when they log in to play the expansion.

Chromie Time... hmmm. Interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

The concern there is always going to be min/maxing stuff where certain ones are just clearly better than others. Especially since they make it seem it'll be hard to swap between different covenants. I know someone a page or two back was talking about whether talent trees or the pick 1 of 3 tier things there's always going to be a best...but when I came back for Legion I kind of liked the different builds you had with the 1 of 3 and the different legendaries that made the optimal setups for different fights a thing you would swap between.

It was a piss poor design choice by Blizzard that was at first touted as "Grand Design" decision, only to be apologized for a year later and relinquished. Allowing players to, in a round about way, pick and choose what they wanted. You were forced into using what the best combination of Legendaries you had, offered. Then later, you were privately allowed the chance to pick your own play style under whatever build you liked the most. The thing that fascinated me was that sometimes, certain builds gave your lower skilled players a leg up. Where the cream of the crop build was more difficult for their skill level to play at its best. For example a Hunter using the stomp build with Beast Mastery was far easier to raid with than it was to play a Marksman Hunter with an Aim build in a raid. The Aim build was the cream of the crop, but a poorly skilled player would struggle with it. Where if they just played the Stomp build, they could concentrate more on movement and pull off at least passable DPS.

Truthfully, the player should always strive to play the best build and get better with it. (At least in my opinion.) However, we know this just isnt an option for everyone and having an easier build available that may not be the bees knees should be something they at least take note of.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Anything you grind your dick off for an entire expansion only to lose it afterwards suck shit through a straw. It's why Artifacts are gay as fuck, it's why the shitty necklace is gay as fuck, and it will be why covenants are gay as fuck. You can name them whatever you want, just like calling Dailies World Quests instead it will only fool the dumbest of mother fuckers as have been proven already in this thread.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It was a piss poor design choice by Blizzard that was at first touted as "Grand Design" decision, only to be apologized for a year later and relinquished. Allowing players to, in a round about way, pick and choose what they wanted. You were forced into using what the best combination of Legendaries you had, offered. Then later, you were privately allowed the chance to pick your own play style under whatever build you liked the most. The thing that fascinated me was that sometimes, certain builds gave your lower skilled players a leg up. Where the cream of the crop build was more difficult for their skill level to play at its best. For example a Hunter using the stomp build with Beast Mastery was far easier to raid with than it was to play a Marksman Hunter with an Aim build in a raid. The Aim build was the cream of the crop, but a poorly skilled player would struggle with it. Where if they just played the Stomp build, they could concentrate more on movement and pull off at least passable DPS.

Truthfully, the player should always strive to play the best build and get better with it. (At least in my opinion.) However, we know this just isnt an option for everyone and having an easier build available that may not be the bees knees should be something they at least take note of.

Having those kinds of options makes the game better overall. If you know you aren't a tier 1 player but still have an option to play well and not have to worry about min maxing everything that's great. Especially when tier 1 players who want to min max everything have an option to shine. That's how classes should function. Make them fun and effective for everyone but give the higher skill cap players an avenue to excel.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Is Death Knight AE still bananas because I want to throw the Lightforged Draenei space laser on top of all their existing bullshit.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You know what you do if a talent or item effect is mathematically the best?

You buff the competing talents or make an item effect which is different but with similar DPS.

Like in Classic, duh Rogues are taking 5% Crit over 5% Dodge. So change it to 10% Dodge and then 15% Dodge until people start taking it, or make it 4% extra Agility.

I don't know why they never did small buffs and iterations every patch instead of it having to be an expansion feature to revamp it all at once.

Like "Hey we noticed you are all farming Dal'Rends Sword Set, if you enjoy high DPS set item weapons there's now a Dagger Set dropping from Dire Maul North. Took us a hour to itemise and is days of farming enjoyment for you!". Now we got choices in spec and where to farm, thanks!

xzi

Mouthbreather

Their way of addressing that so far in one of the interviews they did is that they're going to make a lot of options so there isn't one specific answer for every scenario.

min/maxxing will forever exist no matter what, though

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

Mostly information we already mostly knew, but here's some things that stood out:
Can you repeat Torghast as many times as you want on the same day? is it a weekly lockout? Is it similar to the Withered Army Training scenario?
Currently, we're still thinking about it, TBD, but probably something similar to the Withered Training Scenario. In the end, we want it to be something that you may want to at least try to progress through once a week.

What is the motivation to do daily activities now that Artifact Power won't be a thing anymore?
There are other rewards in World Quests that are not only AP that motivate players to complete them. We are looking at the World Quest system and we're going to overhaul it, we're calling it World Quests 2.0. More when beta release.

Do Soulbind talents change based on class or spec or are they the same for everyone?
So the customization from Soulbind come from spaces in the talent tree that you can fill in called conduits. The system is a little bit like the Relics from Artifacts in Legion. There are a couple of things that you can put in each talent slot, so you are going to be able to customize it based on your role or class.

We had forced personal loot and trade restrictions in BFA, what is feedback on that like? Any tweaks for that system?
We get feedback! Internally and externally. Itemization is very important to the team and we're not ready to share how we are going forward with that.

Actually kind of bummed that Tower of the Damned is planned to be on a weekly lock out.

• 1Worf

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

eh, i don't know if i necessarily agree with that. like, on paper, yes a player should aim to be the best and use the best build, but in practice that's super boring and it basically eliminates any reason to play anything other than the FotM class. i will ALWAYS play a frost DK, because i like the feel of it, i like the idea of it, i like how it's built. so even when unholy is superior, i still stay frost because i don't like how unholy plays.

Merrith

Their way of addressing that so far in one of the interviews they did is that they're going to make a lot of options so there isn't one specific answer for every scenario.

min/maxxing will forever exist no matter what, though

Of course min maxxing will be around forever, but if they actually give multiple options that can work for different scenarios, that's far better than other versions of systems. Like I said, stuff at the end of Legion felt nice after coming back where I could have different tools in my tool box for different fights, single target v. AoE, etc.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Of course min maxxing will be around forever, but if they actually give multiple options that can work for different scenarios, that's far better than other versions of systems. Like I said, stuff at the end of Legion felt nice after coming back where I could have different tools in my tool box for different fights, single target v. AoE, etc.
Switching specs for every fight fucking sucked. That was decidedly not fun.

Merrith

Switching specs for every fight fucking sucked. That was decidedly not fun.

Wasn't really every fight, and really how hard is it to swap a couple gear pieces, have some 1332131 list in your head to just click item to swap talents, and go? Makes sense kind of that different abilities/gear pieces with legendary effects would be more optimal for some fights.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Why do people make counterstatements using completely different words? I never said it was hard. I said it wasn't fun.

And balance druid had to change talents for every fight in Legion. Two different types of aoe builds, and two or three solo builds. That isn't fun or interesting. If it was a talent swap for one, maybe two fights and those were back-to-back, great. Uniqueness, special. Not modus operandi. Maybe it worked that way for other classes. I don't know, but for me, it didn't.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Why do people make counterstatements using completely different words? I never said it was hard. I said it wasn't fun.

And balance druid had to change talents for every fight in Legion. Two different types of aoe builds, and two or three solo builds. That isn't fun or interesting. If it was a talent swap for one, maybe two fights and those were back-to-back, great. Uniqueness, special. Not modus operandi. Maybe it worked that way for other classes. I don't know, but for me, it didn't.
Two solutions
1). Get rid of any talent choices
2). Reduce encounter difficulty so that any talent spec can be viable

Pick 1.