World of Warcraft: Current Year

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Mistwalkers has been founded on Hyjal on the Alliance side. Hit up Narlathotep if you need an invite.

I’ll join you closer to release of the expansion. The FoH guild is almost completely inactive. Most of the regulars are playing Classic right now so it’s a beauracratic process to get anything changed and organized inside of it.

Most of the people I see logging on and helping each other are just getting their pathfinder part 2 done. Casually playing, I can barely get naz faction done. So itll take a while before I can knock mech faction out too. xzi xzi has been super helpful for organizing flash mobs for Naz pvp. If I’m being blunt, the game is still enjoyable if you’re not trying to shit sock.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The game can be enjoyable if you don't care about making meaningful progress in any specific timeframe. If you have a goal to accomplish and don't want it to take 2-3 months the game is frustrating as hell.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yes the retail WoW forum guild has been dead since well 8.1. Raiding Ulduar and that was the end most people hated BFA and said fuck it. Most of the people who played it moved on the Classic and we have had a pretty sizeable crew enjoying the old version of the game. It is really weird to see from the base level they are the same foundation but two completely different games.

WoW Classic is an MMORPG, Retail is a theme park adventure game. I might play 8.3 just to see the raid but with the way Blizzard has been recently I see no reason to encourage retail until they make a drastic shift in leadership. For every step forward they always seem to take two steps backwards.

The raids have always been enjoyable outside of the few mythic fights were it is just an arms race vs addons which becomes miserable. The M+ is fun until they decide they want to make it exceedingly frustrating with shit affixes nobody asked for to curb the MDI shit. This removal of the 5million gold mount to the BMAH to sell tokens is another example of fuck retail in my eyes, the sad shit is it is effective marketing on the fear of missing out. I haven't touched retail since Classic was released and even I am tempted to drop 5 million gold on it.

Overall fuck Blizzard and Ion hopefully one day a new MMORPG will come along until then Classic/TBC/Wrath releases with maybe the occasional peak into retail can contain enough of us for 3-4 years until the new big thing actually comes to fruition.

Cybsled

If you could dig up the old FOH WoW thread, the EQ1 diehards called WoW classic a theme park MMO also because it had marked quests that didn’t involve you spamming random keywords at random NPCs to find a quest

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
If you could dig up the old FOH WoW thread, the EQ1 diehards called WoW classic a theme park MMO also because it had marked quests that didn’t involve you spamming random keywords at random NPCs to find a quest

Correct, we viewed going from EQ to WoW as kind of a joke with no corpse recovery, XP loss, etc. - But what we did also find is damn near everyone found it fun and had a blast playing it, then as time went on and it changed so drastically they stopped.

Khane

Hail, Ion Hazzikostas

"Hello Khane! The Team is excited to announce a revolutionary new game mechanic. Typing in chat to NPCs for various reactions! Thanks for playing World of Warcraft!"

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Hail, Ion Hazzikostas

"Hello Khane! The Team is excited to announce a revolutionary new game mechanic. Typing in chat to NPCs for various reactions! Thanks for playing World of Warcraft!"

What revolutionary new game mechanic

What various reactions

What World of Warcraft

Glad you asked Khane for only a measly $69.99 you can have these purple faggot pajamas limited time only, buy it today.

iu

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One of the many things that makes WOW a theme park in 2019 is that you have no reason to just go out and explore shit. EQ had tons of weird ass zones to try and figure out (Plane of Mischief) or useful drops that were useful long into the game's life that dropped in the middle of nowhere.

Why did a level 20 drop a waterbreathing earring? Or a level 16 drop a vanilla caster BIS item? Who the fuck knows. There was a bank and friendly dwarf settlement in the very bottom of the Crystal Caverns. Even a cool lore reason as to why. I love shit like that.

I'll keep saying it. I couldn't tell you a single fucking item I had in WOW since Wrath of the Lich King other than some random vanity mounts I spent time getting (motorcycle and the hidden secret mounts lately). Not a an actual weapon or anything. For a genre that is intentionally designed to be a gear treadmill this is a serious problem. You should always be on the hunt for the next Rhok'Delar or Flowing Black Silk Sash, Runed Bolster Belt, Anatheme, Obsidian Edge, Cloak of Flames... fucking all of it.

Getting a sweet ass title for beating a major boss in era while handicapping yourself is icing on the cake. It should not be THE cake like it is in WOW 2019.

Not hunting mini-pets in the Bliz Store for $25 a pop just to be competitive in a minigame. Of course that is what Bliz wants you to do though.

The dungeon of Befallen is too complex for the average WOW player these days man.

That said if I end up playing this expansion for awhile like I usually do. Will have to fag it up with Alliance this time around.

Last edited:

xzi

Mouthbreather
I've been saying it for most of BFA, but you really need to make your own content and goals for the game to really shine. You shouldn't have to do that at all of course, but if you do the game has become enjoyable to me.

TBF it's the same thing I've done in classic. Wintersaber mount was a massive undertaking even if it was easy just time consuming. After that what is there to do? I can grind some alts, but instead I went exploring like I used to. Old AQ is still gorgeous and fun to get to - Hyjal is still possible to get to. All without looking them up. It was fun as fuck. But at the end of the day the actual game comes and I'm like, well I've already done MC literally 4 thousand times what is the point?

Idunno man. I enjoy BFA & I enjoy classic, but they're truly the same game. BFA has far more and far superior content to do if you like doing anything other than dungeon grinding. Classic definitely feels more rewarding but it's mostly because everything is grueling to me.

Khane

That's the problem. MMOs tend to revolve around end game repetition instead of actual character building or exploration. A game filled with easter eggs or tons of specialty items tied to specific, off the beaten path factions and such would be much more enjoyable to me than this "epic raiding" fascination all MMOs seem to have.

Giving players big bads to fight is obviously important but when that's the entirety of the end game it becomes stale and monotonous. I really don't give a shit that raid tier 65 with the same mechanics with a twist just released. Even worse it's tuned to take 500 fucking attempts. No thanks. Give me a game filled with Netherwing, Ogrila, Wintersaber, etc. All over the place.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's the problem. MMOs tend to revolve around end game repetition instead of actual character building or exploration. A game filled with easter eggs or tons of specialty items tied to specific, off the beaten path factions and such would be much more enjoyable to me than this "epic raiding" fascination all MMOs seem to have.

Giving players big bads to fight is obviously important but when that's the entirety of the end game it becomes stale and monotonous. I really don't give a shit that raid tier 65 with the same mechanics with a twist just released. Even worse it's tuned to take 500 fucking attempts. No thanks. Give me a game filled with Netherwing, Ogrila, Wintersaber, etc. All over the place.

I don't think it's possible to create a content cycle that would support this model for very long. End game exists as it does as a compromise to the reality that the amount of content that can be produced is super limited. Hell, we already know that they had to work abysmal hours to get Legion out the door(and it's partially why ToS was so lackluster).

Khane

You think it's easier to create raids that most people won't even truly experience than it is to create questlines/factions for unique rewards that everyone can experience? I completely disagree.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
You think it's easier to create raids that most people won't even truly experience than it is to create questlines/factions for unique rewards that everyone can experience? I completely disagree.

I think populating a static zone with a bunch of mobs and varying established mechanics is much easier than creating enough interesting and unique quests to sate people for months on end. For either one, you're going to have to create unique models and textures.

Khane

Well you're entitled to your opinion. However outrageous it may be.

• 1Salty

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think populating a static zone with a bunch of mobs and varying established mechanics is much easier than creating enough interesting and unique quests to sate people for months on end. For either one, you're going to have to create unique models and textures.

You don't need a whole slew of crazy unique quests in a zone to have meaningful factions. MMORPG players can handle a general grind. You need interesting and unique goals for your players to pursue.

This can be unique faction rewards off the beaten path, difficult to obtain penultimate crafting rewards (Stormherald, Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl), and so on. These aren't the core of the game either. But they give something else to go for while you are going about your character's progression. Which is the actual point of the game.

Cybsled

Hail, Ion Hazzikostas

Ion: the markers Sirran gave me make me do [strange things]

Playerbase: what strange things?

Ion: Like attack you!!!

*Ion releases a flurry of attacks on Playerbase*

Playerbase has died

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
You don't need a whole slew of crazy unique quests in a zone to have meaningful factions. MMORPG players can handle a general grind. You need interesting and unique goals for your players to pursue.

This can be unique faction rewards off the beaten path, difficult to obtain penultimate crafting rewards (Stormherald, Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl), and so on. These aren't the core of the game either. But they give something else to go for while you are going about your character's progression. Which is the actual point of the game.

So the game turns in to faction grinding and extended material grinding? If so, this will just be rushed by poopsockers and inevitably gated.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So the game turns in to faction grinding and extended material grinding? If so, this will just be rushed by poopsockers and inevitably gated.

This is in addition to some raids and big bads idiot.

The point is that raiding is all there is and all that WOW tries to push you into. To the extent that much of the rest of the game is fairly pointless to character progression or at the very least uninteresting.

• 1Salty

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is in addition to some raids and big bads idiot.

The point is that raiding is all there is and all that WOW tries to push you into. To the extent that much of the rest of the game is fairly pointless to character progression or at the very least uninteresting.

Wow, so sensitive. It's odd how biased and incapable of discussion anyone on here has become. It's turning in to mmochamp.

Anyway, getting back to the point, I don't think I agree that adding a prayer shawl to grind would actually do much to change the game. It would just be another inconvenience in the eyes of people who already vehemently disagree with any kind of grinding outside of a very small funnel that they've been trained rush through.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yes. So sensitive indeed.

Then don't do the prayer shawl grind. It isn't like it was required. Everyone needs to do everything is pretty antithetical to going on your MMORPG adventure.