World of Warcraft: Current Year

Malkav

French Madman
It's basically where it was with Legion right? You can buy essences with currency. The time gating on all quests was removed. You can grind the currency to open visions. What else do you want?

From what I've read, isn't that only for alts though? Meaning you still have to unlock each one if it's your first character?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Correct, the original unlock is still terrible. New players get fucked. The system is great for alts.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
You of all people should know they can make it available for even less effort, and probably will.

The cost for the essences already unlocked for sure will drop before the expansion but I fully expect even unlocked stuff goes up there maybe for more of that coin just so you can play with the stuff you couldn't/didn't unlock over time. Also would help players who didn't play in bfa or quit early to have fun getting ready for the next expansion who are never going to gain access to stuff like the naz raid essences otherwise.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't see them touching essences again this expansion. 500 a pop is already stupid cheap considering how many you receive from M+ box and assaults. If they were going to make it easier for new players to unlock essences, they would have already done it. The next content patch, 9.0, will remove the system in all likelihood for 120s.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
with a guild, anything is possible

except nzoth you need the cloak or you die
Guild doesn't really help you get Memory of Lucid Dreams.

That's the one essence that seems to be the real cockblock.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Guild doesn't really help you get Memory of Lucid Dreams.

That's the one essence that seems to be the real cockblock.
You get the base one pretty quickly. The companion EXP is meh but it's grindable through drops. I thought everyone on these boards wanted everything grindable through drops!

Malkav

French Madman
Got sidetracked looking at transmogs for the Lightforged Paladin I'll probably play in Shadowlands and ended up dragging my 114 hunter to Argus for the achievements that gives transmog weapons (killing all the rares). The hunter was already halfway done because that's the character I used to farm the rep there for Lightforged and Void Elves back in the day.

I can say that the zone is still fucking ass to navigate. Blizzard really hate flying I guess.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's basically where it was with Legion right? You can buy essences with currency. The time gating on all quests was removed. You can grind the currency to open visions. What else do you want?

I don't want anything, I quit 3-4 months ago. I'm just saying there is every chance they dumb it down even further before the end.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About the alt thing. I didn't know about the Rank 3 essence thing. Would be nice if they unlocked as you unlocked (so I could get R1, R2, R3 from vendor) but oh well. Honestly its not the worst thing about this expansion. The worst thing about this expansion is just the progression mechanics in general are all timegated or dragged down by tedious quest lines.

Yea I'm salty because I need BOTE and C&S BIS for Rogue. Also jesus how many fucking dailies are in this game now? Weren't WQ supposed to replace dailies? Now there are fucking both lol. Panda land you came in at the end of the expac you went to the timeless isles and you went and did dungeons and raid. Legion legendaries sucked but you still were able to get them at the end and even before that they were pretty lax on the first few you got.

Coming back in there's 1000 reps I have to grind, all of them timegated in some stupid way. I feel like I need 8 hours a day just to keep my head level. Sure once I have everything unlocked it'll be fine. But I feel bad for the people who get a decent amount in and decide they don't like the class they're playing. Luckily playing rogue in open world is still fun as fuck. Outlaw grappling hook might be the best saving grace of not having flying yet either.

PS I still have no fucking idea what the story was in this expac either. I feel like so much effort went into the cut scenes and yet they are so all over the place that I can't make sense of anything in them.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Made a DH the other day with the plan of running it through a legion zone to get the rep+zone completion on that instead of my 120, two birds one stone kind of thing. Worked fine but I gotta say DH has to be the dumbest class design. The only real thing they're missing is stealth? They have a stupid movement skill with 2 charges baseline, along with double jump for verticality and glide for on demand slowfall and that can be kinda combined to make traversing water easy by just double jumping and gliding constantly so you basically have foot "water walking" although can't autorun it. They have damage reduction, good/stupid aoe depending on spec, innate leech, innate non casted heals for sustain, high single target damage, very high cooldown burst, aoe disable, fucking everything. Can even purge stuff for whatever reason, and their interupt also gives them ressources? Fucking weird man.

Anyway it's fun to play.

Malkav

French Madman
I'd say grab engineering and a gnomish gravity well and have fun bypassing some of the stupid zone design (aka how do I get to that ledge).

Best class for open world shit, saved me so much time.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
They should just make it so there are two ranks of the Essence: one that gives you the basic functions of R1-3 and one that is the R4 cosmetic effect. This way people who've done the grind still get some bonus and everyone else can get the shit they need. Oh, and take isle pvp off of Blood of the Enemy.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure why the pvp essences should even do anything in pve tbh, it's kinda weird design. At the very least, they should be severely reduced in pve so while they're not completely wasted, they're not anywhere optimal, instead you have some that are BiS for whatever reason.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Does standard pvp scaling even work for PVP islands ? I helped a guildie out with one a couple of weeks ago and the tank ran into the enemy team while gathering mobs and solo killed all of them with random twilight dev procs, at which point 2 of them immediately dropped group.

They were probably new players but that kind of ludicrous imbalance has to be absolutely horrible to be on the receiving end of, especially given how long the queues are.

xzi

Mouthbreather
PvP Islands run the same ruleset as bgs, so yes any scaling is applied. But a lot of people still think templates from Legion exist for some reason and it's not true, I can still absolutely 2-3shot someone wearing 290 gear whereas in Legion it was like fighting an equally geared/health person 100% of the time.

It's all stupid and confusing but here's a write up for it, and the best tl;dr I can give is scaling exists but you can't wear green questing gear anymore and be stronger than everyone else.

Malkav

French Madman
Finally got a a Tortollan emissary when I only had 2k rep to go, eh.

Almost done, now I only need 20 more unique WQs and to finish 2 freaking side quests chains in Stormsong that are somehow part of the zone meta-achievement.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The second I unlocked BfA flying I mounted up, lost all interest and logged out. I couldn't even force me to unlock all the allied races.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Eh you can't buy from another server's AH or anything right? Some fuck bought out all the waterwalking horse shoes over the weekend and jacked up the prices to 2k and while it's not THAT bad it hurts my ass to pay that much especially since I need a few for different chars.

Rime

<Donor>
Eh you can't buy from another server's AH or anything right? Some fuck bought out all the waterwalking horse shoes over the weekend and jacked up the prices to 2k and while it's not THAT bad it hurts my ass to pay that much especially since I need a few for different chars.

Auction Houses and trading are locked to your server and any server your server is linked to.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Looking into it at that price I might as well level blacksmithing, will cost my a bit more money but I can make some money back selling overpriced shoes after anyway.