World of Warcraft: Current Year

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Totally possible. I only saw 2 zones before I outleveled the xpac and diminishing returns forced me to legion. I saw most of Shadowmoon Valley and a very small bit of Gorgrond. They didn't look bad by any means but they also didn't ever jump out at me as anything special.

Interesting, when I came back to the game in late Legion after having quit during Cata, I thought WoD Shadowmoon Valley was one of the most striking zones I'd seen. Especially with having spent so much time in the TBC version during that expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Shadowmoon and Frostfire are easily two of the best looking zones they've ever put out, and both had interesting and engaging storylines.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And in classic Blizzard stupidity they throw away the character developed in Shadowmoon.

• 1Like

Merrith

Shadowmoon and Frostfire are easily two of the best looking zones they've ever put out, and both had interesting and engaging storylines.

Shit yeah Frostfire looked great, too, although being Alliance and just quickly leveling to Legion level catching up I didn't do much of anything there.

Merrith

It is but hard is not the same as impossible. In legion if you did not like your specs artifact weapon or its power then your option was never play that spec during the expansion. You could not change it ever no matter how hard you wanted. Some artifacts like the boomkin one were great and the power felt very rotational. But there were others so bland that they were basically just a random button you press. The monk one is kinda like that it was useful but it was such a subtle look effect it wound up feeling like just hitting a button to gain some resources. Generally it seems like the lower performing covenant powers for specs tend to be like that a button you hit that does some damage and has some utility but not rotational while others like the monk fae one can become very rotational as you busily paint the room with trees.

Honestly the actual "ability" the artifact gave was minor compared to the overall power gain from the item itself and all the AP gains. If you liked how the spec rotation played, whether or not the actual button ability was worth a shit didn't really matter to me. Mostly just glamour and AP power stick with all the bonuses and buffs to abilities/etc. Long as the spec/rotation felt good in general, don't think many would care.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Remember when TBC and Wrath came out and we didn't have to grind some retarded neck or cloak or artifact? Why do they feel the need to create something every expansion to force us into wizard chores?

Why can't they just release new loot with new bosses? Is that too much to ask?

Just put cool shit behind some totally optional faction grinds. Put more weird factions out there that are hard to discover and have maybe have interesting requirements to unlock.

Do the rest as you say and call it a day.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
I have no doubt that it is down to two reasons...

1) Ego. The game has had a serious amount of turnover, each person wants to leave their mark on the game, so it has to be a new system.
2) Fear of Alienating returning players and to a lesser extent, 'new' players. Returning to a game like EverQuest, AA can be intimidating (even though you can grind out the 'essential' ones relatively quickly). Now imagine that with the dozens of similar systems WoW keeps introducing and the half-arsed catch-up systems they implement.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have no doubt that it is down to two reasons...

1) Ego. The game has had a serious amount of turnover, each person wants to leave their mark on the game, so it has to be a new system.
2) Fear of Alienating returning players and to a lesser extent, 'new' players. Returning to a game like EverQuest, AA can be intimidating (even though you can grind out the 'essential' ones relatively quickly). Now imagine that with the dozens of similar systems WoW keeps introducing and the half-arsed catch-up systems they implement.
I mean the idea would be to remove all such systems, not keep them all over time, and stop adding them. It's how wow used to work and how FFXIV does things too. In XIV you have Beast Tribes factions, and basically all they gives is cosmetics(transmogs, pets and at the max level a unique mount) and sometimes crafting materials(especially the crafting tribe gives materials needed for endgame crafting for a while, so everyone doing daillies can make some good money out of them). Oh and xp, they're good for leveling alts. The "point" of them is mostly the story of each tribes, and at the end of the expansion there's an overall story to all the tribes added too. But that's it, if you don't want to do the daillies, it doesn't matter, you don't lose anything. There's also only 3 tribes per expansion(5 in the original) and a cap to daillies from them so you only ever spend like 15mins doing them, versus an hour and a half doing world quests all over the fucking place(pre flying, which is when you mostly want to grind them anyway, while again in XIV, you can fly after you've finished the zone).

Basically they have plenty of side activities in XIV, but pretty much none of them affects raiding. Only things that are tied to raiding is crafting(potions/food and also gear at the start of new tiers but all of this can be bought obviously, actually no crafting specific bonus like wow soulbind crafted gear) and you have to cap weekly tomes for gear progression, which takes 5 dailly dungeon runs per week if doing nothing else(generally 3-4 depending on what else you're doing). But at some point wow decided you needed more systems to keep people engaged, more things to grind and more things to advance, not by choice but by forcing it. They figured at some points cool titles and fancy mounts weren't enough rewards to keep people interested for some reason.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Your relics were locked to 1 spec your weapon power was locked to a single spec. Your AP was all locked to a specific spec. Legion was the worst alt leveling expansion we have seen yet until the very end of it. I think people forget how damn restrictive legion was when it launched. The shadowlands stuff while still pretty restrictive is WAY less so than what we saw in legion.

You had the option to level all weapons, even if the AP wasn't at the same level between them you could eventually get them to the same level. Same with relics. So what if convenant A is the best for boomkin and convenant C is the best for bear. Do you opt to play a shitty bear or a shitty boomkin if you want to be able to play both? Only thing restrictive about early Legion were legendaries.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PoE introduces lots of new systems every league and is considered a great game.

With WoW, the gear is so disposable from tier to tier, they need some additional systems that have some persistence across the whole expac. Essences did a pretty good job here, I thought.

The problem is they over do it. Azerite + Essences + Corruption is just a whole lot of shit to deal with.

• 1Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
With the bonuses the leveling didn't slow down in Legion at all. I'm at 106 and not done with Highmountain questlines yet. I'll probably be 108 when I have to move to the second zone. I'll stick it out until I get to the BfA stuff and go from there.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
With the bonuses the leveling didn't slow down in Legion at all. I'm at 106 and not done with Highmountain questlines yet. I'll probably be 108 when I have to move to the second zone. I'll stick it out until I get to the BfA stuff and go from there.
leveling in legion is fast. If you catch a zone invasion its bonkers XP. Legion is just below WOD for how fast you can burn through it now if you want to.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
BfA is ridiculously fast leveling too, was maybe halfway done with Vol'dun when I hit 120 last week.

Cybsled

But at some point wow decided you needed more systems to keep people engaged, more things to grind and more things to advance, not by choice but by forcing it. They figured at some points cool titles and fancy mounts weren't enough rewards to keep people interested for some reason.

I suspect Activision drives it. Yoshi P/SE have a “it’s cool if you want to unsubscribe until we add more stuff” attitude, while Bliz adds tons of EverGrind which is more harmful long term because people burn out and never return.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

So I saw a video on Hunter legendaries for Shadowlands. Are all the other classes legendary powers just rehashes of old Legion ones or Azerite armor traits?

• 1Pathetic

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well that's shit. They really hoping that having some control over which gear slot you put them on somehow magically makes that great when it's all just old shit?
A lot of them were great though from what I understand. Some not so great. There is some new ones too, forgot which site had a list with the sources and a few were from Torghast anima effects rather than legion legendaries.