World of Warcraft: Current Year

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Perhaps you're right (or will be), but going into a new Expansion with a system this Draconian seems excessive even for Blizzard. Haven't got anything useful to say about BfA because I quit barely a month in, (hated what they did to my two favourite classes) and never came back.

I don't remember anything quite like this in Legion. Sure there was a ton of shitty grind, time-gates and the like - but I don't remember hard lock-outs like this, especially at launch.

Maybe I've been away too long and the memories have faded. Either way I'm pretty much beyond caring at this point, so whatever.
Every legion spec weapon was a single hard locked ability you could never change. Covenants may or may not be great but you do have choices and changing is possible. Some legion abilities were amazing but some were pretty Dull. Some really made your rotation and some were pretty forgettable.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Every legion spec weapon was a single hard locked ability you could never change. Covenants may or may not be great but you do have choices and changing is possible. Some legion abilities were amazing but some were pretty Dull. Some really made your rotation and some were pretty forgettable.

Your artifact didn't get reset to 0 when you changed specs. You could level all your weapons at the same time if you wanted to play all specs. How are you equating these things?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Isn't the current gimmick with covenants that you can change, but once you've changed FROM one of the 4, it's really hard to go back to that one?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Isn't the current gimmick with covenants that you can change, but once you've changed FROM one of the 4, it's really hard to go back to that one?
I think that's the "master" within a covenant thing only, covenants are locked currently, you pick the one you want at the end of the leveling and that's it, your character is now always that covenant, locked to its abilities and other systems. If you want to change covenant, you have to reroll the same character and pick a different one. You do get to test them while leveling I think though.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I still say go hipster and select no covenant.

Also probably gotta make three more Demon Hunters while they still start out boosted.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Covenants confuse me - the idea is inherently extremely difficult to balance - even if the abilities were literally 'shoot red laser for 50 damage' or 'shoot green laser for 50 damage', they are probably going to throw in some boss with 5 mechanics all of which are red on red against a red floor and red laser will make them harder to see.

Even so - they don't appear to be even trying - the abilities they have aren't just hard to balance, they are impossible to balance. I mean look at just the DK ones:
- AOE dot + dodge
- Add strength drain to existing aoe dot
- Random single target attacks on random targets plus random deathgrips on random targets
- Single target dot plus damage reduce

Even if #3 isn't banned from raids the first time it grips an exploding add into the melee team, it's still a shitty version of infinite stars. How can you even balance it against the other single target one, let alone strength boost and aoes ?

• 2Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Remember when TBC and Wrath came out and we didn't have to grind some retarded neck or cloak or artifact? Why do they feel the need to create something every expansion to force us into wizard chores?

Why can't they just release new loot with new bosses? Is that too much to ask?

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Your artifact didn't get reset to 0 when you changed specs. You could level all your weapons at the same time if you wanted to play all specs. How are you equating these things?
Your relics were locked to 1 spec your weapon power was locked to a single spec. Your AP was all locked to a specific spec. Legion was the worst alt leveling expansion we have seen yet until the very end of it. I think people forget how damn restrictive legion was when it launched. The shadowlands stuff while still pretty restrictive is WAY less so than what we saw in legion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It is but hard is not the same as impossible. In legion if you did not like your specs artifact weapon or its power then your option was never play that spec during the expansion. You could not change it ever no matter how hard you wanted. Some artifacts like the boomkin one were great and the power felt very rotational. But there were others so bland that they were basically just a random button you press. The monk one is kinda like that it was useful but it was such a subtle look effect it wound up feeling like just hitting a button to gain some resources. Generally it seems like the lower performing covenant powers for specs tend to be like that a button you hit that does some damage and has some utility but not rotational while others like the monk fae one can become very rotational as you busily paint the room with trees.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Remember when TBC and Wrath came out and we didn't have to grind some retarded neck or cloak or artifact? Why do they feel the need to create something every expansion to force us into wizard chores?

Why can't they just release new loot with new bosses? Is that too much to ask?

WotLK was magic. Probably my favorite time of WoW.

• 7Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The excuse stems from Ion & his team that they are protecting themselves against the players that will go out of their way to change their line up per specific boss. They dont want players to do that, so thats why we are where we are at. Soul Bind Gems get deleted upon replacement so you dont have an arsenal of gems in your inventory that you switch between bosses. Covenants arent switchable on the fly because they dont want players to leave a raid just so they can all switch abilities to fit that boss.

That's all well and great, but I would wager at least a good 98% of people arent going to give a flying fuck about that gain and once again.. they are designing around the shit heads that take shit to the extreme. IE. The exact same thing they did in Torghast. The fact that the player base has to riot in the streets and paint "Fun Times Matter" on the road for every common sense change is beyond me at this point. For god sakes, they need to get off this pedestal of designing shit around the 1% and remind themselves that HEY, its ONE PERCENT (If that) OF YOUR PLAYERS Mor-ion.

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
WotLK was magic. Probably my favorite time of WoW.

I went through Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills for a bit while leveling up and the WotLK zones are just awesome. Part of it is because my videocard and monitor are much better than I had back when I played through the first time so its like looking at it with new eyes. It still doesn't change the fact that as you fly around and look at things you can just tell that the people that made it gave a shit.

I got to WoD and the couple of zones I saw just didn't come close to that.

• 1Like

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
I went through Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills for a bit while leveling up and the WotLK zones are just awesome. Part of it is because my videocard and monitor are much better than I had back when I played through the first time so its like looking at it with new eyes. It still doesn't change the fact that as you fly around and look at things you can just tell that the people that made it gave a shit.

A lot just felt right.

I would spend HOURS, being up all night doing herb runs in Storm Peaks because of the chance at a frost lotus was some nice gold, and the music in Storm Peaks is the best.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Really? WoD zones looked the best of all the expacs if you ask me. Northrend was probably second best though, and Northrend zones had the best story flow. Icecrown was especially great. So many quest chains that lead seemlessly into the next as you take over various parts of the zone.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
WOD had plenty of faults but the zones and leveling quests/story were not one of them. It wasn't until you reached max level that stuff kinda fell apart. I do agree that lich king also had some awesome leveling zones the music in lich king was great I always loved the grizzly hills theme.

• 1Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really? WoD zones looked the best of all the expacs if you ask me.

Totally possible. I only saw 2 zones before I outleveled the xpac and diminishing returns forced me to legion. I saw most of Shadowmoon Valley and a very small bit of Gorgrond. They didn't look bad by any means but they also didn't ever jump out at me as anything special.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
WoD leveling was as good as it's ever been in WoW, maybe the best. One of the things they did very well in WoD outside of the Garrison questlines.

• 2Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds like pathfinder this time is based just on renown so in theory if you do the content you like doing it should unlock for you without having to go out of your way or do random rep grinds to acquire it which seems reasonable.

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
WoD leveling was as good as it's ever been in WoW, maybe the best. One of the things they did very well in WoD outside of the Garrison questlines.

If I wind up getting the allied races unlocked and roll a new char for Shadowlands I'll have to give WoD another go using the new leveling setup and actually get to see everything.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
If I wind up getting the allied races unlocked and roll a new char for Shadowlands I'll have to give WoD another go using the new leveling setup and actually get to see everything.
I would recommend it. There are a TON of achivement stuff you can unlock when leveling especially if you get the stable and Inn in your garrison. Nice to work on those for people who have not done it and the leveling zones/story stuff was about as good as wow gets. Being able to legit do the zones without leveling past it in an hour is very temping.