World of Warcraft: Current Year

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Most memorable example of that is Crushbone, for me. The zone is small as fuck but in hindsight, I never even thought about it's size. But you work through it in stages as you level and people loved that. You had options for full groups, light groups or solo. I wouldnt say the zone was perfectly designed, but it was definitely good.

Lol crushbone was legit and zone trains were amazing - WoW will never be able to compare to anything like that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's true but I was just talking about my own preferences and how the game is not configured at present to get its hooks in to me. I want to get stuff that I'm excited to take back out in to the world and do shit with. Sometimes WoW's got a bit of that and sometimes it don't but having trash scale up with my item level as I'm out fucking around is at complete odds with what I like. It's one more weight holding me back when retail's got more than a couple of those around my ankles already.
Open world mobs don't really scale with ilvl that much. I still one shot them. Like one round of WQs and some mythic dungeons and you start one shotting them. If that 1 hour when you hit max level is an issue than I don't know what to say.

Also who gives a fuck about open world mobs? What are you doing that they make any difference in your life? You can still go to westfall for your ERP without issue.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Moron
  • 1Imbecile

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Open world mobs don't really scale with ilvl that much. I still one shot them. Like one round of WQs and some mythic dungeons and you start one shotting them. If that 1 hour when you hit max level is an issue than I don't know what to say.

Also who gives a fuck about open world mobs? What are you doing that they make any difference in your life? You can still go to westfall for your ERP without issue.

Keep sucking that Blizzard cock.

• 1Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep sucking that Blizzard cock.
Keep complaining about non-issues.

Like seriously, who fucking cares about open world mobs. I'm one shotting them on my tank. If they are a problem for you, the problem exists between the chair and the table.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Picard

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
When the expansion was new the scaling being a bit off combined with the big let down in borrowed power and not really gaining anything new made leveling scaling feel off. That is mostly a non issue at the moment due to ilevel inflation even in early wq’s. Shadowlands with the getting to test drive all the covenant powers as you level should feel a lot more smoothly.

Cybsled

Crushbone was great and all, but nothing matches the carnage of Unrest or Karnors trains to zone lol

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Crushbone was great and all, but nothing matches the carnage of Unrest or Karnors trains to zone lol

What Cybsled doesn't tell you is he was often the cause of these trains. fucker. Don't think I haven't forgotten the trauma you caused me in Kedge.

• 2Faggotry

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
etrhz58dnri51.jpg

• 2Rustled
  • 1Faggotry

Rime

<Donor>
Yep. That is absolutely going to be a thing that is common, given how the individual Covenant buffs in specific dungeons can be huge swings in terms of power.

• 2Barf

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

I don't think will ever face the trauma looking into the face of death EQ gave people ever again. I don't like to die in any MMO just out of inconvenience or how it may play a role in the failure of a raid pull...things like that but I was legitimately scared to die in EQ. I didn't want to walk around naked, lose experience, or invest the time the recover. However, it did force us to rely on each other. Rogues/Monk pulling corpses, friendly clerics razzing, etc. It certainly had its up side but I couldn't imagine a game like that now with the people I see like in LoL and other games that have toxic communities. It would be a horrible lol

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I don't think will ever face the trauma looking into the face of death EQ gave people ever again. I don't like to die in any MMO just out of inconvenience or how it may play a role in the failure of a raid pull...things like that but I was legitimately scared to die in EQ. I didn't want to walk around naked, lose experience, or invest the time the recover. However, it did force us to rely on each other. Rogues/Monk pulling corpses, friendly clerics razzing, etc. It certainly had its up side but I couldn't imagine a game like that now with the people I see like in LoL and other games that have toxic communities. It would be a horrible lol
The one part of EQ's death system that was really terrifying was the "seven days - you lose it all" risk. Your corpse decays, you lost all. This was even worse for planar raids - if you fell below the threshold, then you were truly fucked.

A modern game with severe death penalties would probably include a multi-stage death system.

Stage 1: You're dead, at your corpse. You can be rezed easily (maybe even in GW2 fashion - by anyone still alive at the end of the fight) with a tiny loss of XP.
Stage 2: You need to release to GY. You lose some XP. You're naked, except for Soulbound items, but can run back to your corpse (or have it dragged away) to recover some XP and gear. If you manage it, you've lost a bit more XP than stage 1, but you're golden.
Stage 3: After 24h, you can choose to run back to your corpse to recover XP/gear, or pay the graveyard caretaker to "dig up the corpse", which puts it there. You recover your gear, but lost significant XP.
Stage 4: After X days, your tomb is gone, and the only thing left is to pay for corpse recovery.

(as for soulbound items, there would be two different kinds: Personal items, which are the usual "bound" non tradeable items which you can only bank/sell/recycle, and soulbound items which you can't unequip, sell, disenchant or anything else, you can only destroy from their slot if you want another. But, in exchange for not being able to remove them, they don't get removed when you die. Your choice. I'm a big believer in having significant choices in a RPG)

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Balmung

Peasant
The fear factor from dying is something sorely missing from MMORPGs these days, among other things. If you don't really fear the world you can't respect the world. Everything outside of the hardest raids is just another scaling target dummy to beat on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The fear factor from dying is something sorely missing from MMORPGs these days, among other things. If you don't really fear the world you can't respect the world. Everything outside of the hardest raids is just another scaling target dummy to beat on.
You should not fear dying, but you should absolutely hate dying.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

When did you last fear dying? Maybe if it was where you lost items but those games are few and far between. You didn't fear dying in EQ unless it was maybe in a raid zone and your guild sucked to get back in and rez up. Other then that, you just were annoyed with dying because it added extra time of accomplishing nothing to get back to your body. And that annoyance was basically for non casters, as casters usually just bound near where they were fighting. Usually the cleric got back to rez before any melee even got remotely close to running back.

Balmung

Peasant
When did you last fear dying? Maybe if it was where you lost items but those games are few and far between. You didn't fear dying in EQ unless it was maybe in a raid zone and your guild sucked to get back in and rez up. Other then that, you just were annoyed with dying because it added extra time of accomplishing nothing to get back to your body. And that annoyance was basically for non casters, as casters usually just bound near where they were fighting. Usually the cleric got back to rez before any melee even got remotely close to running back.

I feared dying because I was a newbie and didn't know the world well. I only knew that there were big bad monsters that could absolutely destroy me, the woods were bad at night, it was dark at night, watch out for the giants and spectres in the desert, exp was a lot of work so try not to lose it, don't lose your body in a big dungeon like Guk or you'll need to get help to retrieve it, etc. Our experiences were clearly different, but it was a huge factor for me either way. Newer MMORPGs have nothing like that experience that I've seen.

You should not fear dying, but you should absolutely hate dying.

I think there's a fine line between simple annoyance and adding a layer of suspense to death. It's something like that though. I don't want to get into the deep philosophy of it.

• 2Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
A modern game with severe death penalties would probably include a multi-stage death system.
Severe death penalties are not "modern" in any shape, way, or form. WoW has seen to that. Especially when it includes loss of XP or gear. EQ2 tried to alleviate with XP debt on death, but the player base hated it.

Sure, you could be "The Dark Souls of MMOs", but the fundamental difference is: Dark Souls is a solo game, while in an MMO setting you are for better or worse depending on your group/raid members. EQ2 had this "the group has a shared exp debt for the death of any member" for a while. Bad idea, because it made the players resent each other.

We grandpas in the retirement home can keep reminiscing about how we had to sit in the snow to meditate for mana uphill both ways, but the newer generation is playing 15 minute Fortnite matches. This is their bite-sized chunk of enjoyment. 15 minute of corpse runs are not fun for them, and game companies develop for that target audience.

Last edited: