World of Warcraft: Current Year

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Maw feels like a "history developing..."' waiting room with as Rime Rime said little to do with timegating, no mount, not much to explore and elite mobs everywhere. I don't mind the no mount / elite mobs stuff but I really hate being on the clock, it seems like an idea created by people not playing videogames at all.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hate the being on the clock shit too. It's just another way of gating content for them.

Merrith

I still don't understand how/why smashing the helm of domination opens a portal to the shadowlands.

From what I gathered from the convoluted lore, Dreadlords have had a plot for a long time, helm comes from the Shadowlands (along with Frostmourne), so something something breaking it opens giant portal?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It also means that Kiljaedan knew all about the shadowlands and just handwaved it away.

Merrith

It also means that Kiljaedan knew all about the shadowlands and just handwaved it away.

I think the workaround (or in their eyes) is that he was embedded with the Legion the entire time to make the other powers fight to weaken/conquer whoever...all waiting for Death/Jailer to take over in the end or some shit?

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I know it's to show investors that you are doing good work, but I honestly think they are believing they are doing great things. All this when everyone has been bitching at them for multiple expansions.

View attachment 313537
It's honestly baffling at how you can go from running a serious raiding guild for almost a decade (Elitist Jerks), constantly complaining about the game, to managing the game entirely--------- and then doing the same retarded shit you were complaining about to begin with

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't think there is any way to make Shadowlands fit with existing lore.

They made a mistake throwing away Argus as a content patch, Legion should have been contained to the Broken Isles.

They could have made any of this stuff just be other worlds invaded by the burning legion and not a shark jumping afterlife.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

I don't think there is any way to make Shadowlands fit with existing lore.

They made a mistake throwing away Argus as a content patch, Legion should have been contained to the Broken Isles.

They could have made any of this stuff just be other worlds invaded by the burning legion and not a shark jumping afterlife.

Was Argus that super special? I guess I just didn't see that as any better/worse than the Shadowlands/afterlife lore they've come up with. I will say the potential Dreadlord long game plot does a nice job of actually tying a whole bunch of things together (if you can buy it in the first place).

It's WoW lore, it's already fucking out there, just roll with the punches and hope you get the less bad stuff.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Was Argus that super special? I guess I just didn't see that as any better/worse than the Shadowlands/afterlife lore they've come up with. I will say the potential Dreadlord long game plot does a nice job of actually tying a whole bunch of things together (if you can buy it in the first place).

It's WoW lore, it's already fucking out there, just roll with the punches and hope you get the less bad stuff.
Argus was always the "final zone" we were building up to since WC3/Vanila, though most of the lore for it came in Burning Crusade.

It shouldn't have been the first legion world to be fully featured as a zone lol, it should have been a whole expansion after we had visted other worlds.

I don't get this "Dreadlord Plot", they can't reconcile the old lore that they forged the Helm/Sword with whatever the new lore is so there'll be some vague "they stole it from The Jailer" excuse.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Argus was always the "final zone" we were building up to since WC3/Vanila, though most of the lore for it came in Burning Crusade.

It shouldn't have been the first legion world to be fully featured as a zone lol, it should have been a whole expansion after we had visted other worlds.

I don't get this "Dreadlord Plot", they can't reconcile the old lore that they forged the Helm/Sword with whatever the new lore is so there'll be some vague "they stole it from The Jailer" excuse.

I guess I never felt that buildup towards Argus as the end all be all. Even fighting the Legion "again" seemed more like a "okay we need to definitively make it clear we beat this threat now" tidying up. How can they not reconcile it? I'm not some super lore nerd but I remember there have been hints/bit dropped about the helm/sword being stolen from the Shadowlands even in Legion with some of the DK artifact swords, no?

Chris

Potato del Grande
I guess I never felt that buildup towards Argus as the end all be all. Even fighting the Legion "again" seemed more like a "okay we need to definitively make it clear we beat this threat now" tidying up. How can they not reconcile it? I'm not some super lore nerd but I remember there have been hints/bit dropped about the helm/sword being stolen from the Shadowlands even in Legion with some of the DK artifact swords, no?
How do Dreadlords enter an afterlife demons can't access and why would they give the key to the afterlife to a random Orc who had failed them already?

Merrith

How do Dreadlords enter an afterlife demons can't access and why would they give the key to the afterlife to a random Orc who had failed them already?

Shit man, it's wow lore. There are theories/tidbits that say the Dreadlords aren't actual demons, but originated in the Shadowlands. As to the key to the afterlife, from what I understand the Jailer has been in control of it the whole time and it was a failed ploy (even with Arthas) to control Azeroth with the Scourge.

Daidraco

Shit man, it's wow lore. There are theories/tidbits that say the Dreadlords aren't actual demons, but originated in the Shadowlands. As to the key to the afterlife, from what I understand the Jailer has been in control of it the whole time and it was a failed ploy (even with Arthas) to control Azeroth with the Scourge.
Taking what Merrith said one step further.
1604174899367.jpeg

I mean, its not like we can really take WoW's lore seriously. Most people havent given two shits about it since "lul Space Goats." But the connections for shadowlands has been made since WoD and emphasized more so in Legion. Maybe more going further back for those that read about lore in previous expansions.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Back in Warcraft I, II, III, and the early days of WoW I was really into the lore. But I've realized that WoW's lore has become the equivalent of the plot in a Michael Bay movie. It's just there to provide flimsy excuses for fantastic-looking action set pieces (i.e, cool zone art and cinematics). And that's fine.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Back in Warcraft I, II, III, and the early days of WoW I was really into the lore. But I've realized that WoW's lore has become the equivalent of the plot in a Michael Bay movie. It's just there to provide flimsy excuses for fantastic-looking action set pieces (i.e, cool zone art and cinematics). And that's fine.
I just have to find something interesting about it before I dive into it in any story. When "Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire", the Shadow Priest Legendary weapon in Legion - randomly started talking, doing quests related to it, playing other classes that talked about the weapon etc..... That one weapon got me to dig into the lore. Lots of shit doesnt make sense in this game, and there are plot holes galore. But I found the storylines around that weapon really intriguing. But for reference, I didnt find a single thing interesting in BFA. Win some / lose some I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
I just have to find something interesting about it before I dive into it in any story. When "Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire", the Shadow Priest Legendary weapon in Legion - randomly started talking, doing quests related to it, playing other classes that talked about the weapon etc..... That one weapon got me to dig into the lore. Lots of shit doesnt make sense in this game, and there are plot holes galore. But I found the storylines around that weapon really intriguing. But for reference, I didnt find a single thing interesting in BFA. Win some / lose some I guess.
Funny thing that you mention it, because the whole intro to the Crucible of Storms in BFA revolves around Xal'atath.

The weapon is interesting though, thinking about leveling a priest to check it out a bit.

Daidraco

Funny thing that you mention it, because the whole intro to the Crucible of Storms in BFA revolves around Xal'atath.

The weapon is interesting though, thinking about leveling a priest to check it out a bit.
To be fair, I didnt play BFA that long. Ill look into it though, thanks!