World of Warcraft: Current Year

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Been trying out Torghast on the PTR, soloing with a blood DK. I haven't done too much but I did one pass through the easy levels. The randomness and the powers you get makes it feel like an MMO version of that game Slay the Spire.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What if I told you there was an addon you could run in WoW, while you were busy shitposting on FoH or out baking a pretty cake, that would make the game completely free (for you) to play?

giphy-227.width-704.gif

This is fucking great and I just wanted to give you the recognition you deserve for it. Fuck I miss Entourage.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In the past few months, we heard that the Maw has no purpose and there isn't anything to do there.

Let me ask the important question:

Is it possible to play this expac at the highest level without visiting the Maw at all?

Is that still the case? Will my end game progression be stunted if I opt out of the Maw?

If I am required to go to the Maw-- I most likely will not purchase this expansion.

• 1EyeRoll

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
In the past few months, we heard that the Maw has no purpose and there isn't anything to do there.

Let me ask the important question:

Is it possible to play this expac at the highest level without visiting the Maw at all?

Is that still the case? Will my end game progression be stunted if I opt out of the Maw?

If I am required to go to the Maw-- I most likely will not purchase this expansion.

You'll have to go to the Maw on basically a daily basis. So uh... ya.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Aside from daily visitation, how much time do you need to commit to the Maw let's say?

What were all these complaints about there being "nothing to do" if the Maw is so relevant. Fake news happened?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This thread is filled with dozens of separate reviews of the Maw, by forum posters and YouTubers;

- "it sucks",
- "there's nothing to do",
- "the Maw is terrible there's no meaningful progression there"

ad nauseam

It's hard to reconcile this with the reality that the Maw is required daily.

Merrith

This thread is filled with dozens of separate reviews of the Maw, by forum posters and YouTubers;

- "it sucks",

ad nauseam

I know Preach posted something recently about a bit of Maw revamp, but I didn't watch it so couldn't tell you if it was anything major. The consensus prior was that the Maw seemed very unfinished.

Malkav

French Madman

- "it sucks",

ad nauseam

Let's put it like this, the vendor in the Maw sells :
- upgrades to Torgast (like more shit on the vendors there, and so on)
- upgrades to the Maw (including things that reduce the effects of the Eye of the Jailer shit)
- freaking items to add sockets on your gear
- items unlocking/upgrading semi random conduits (unlocks some you don't already have/upgrade your lowest one).

All of that is gated behind your rep with said vendor and is bought with Stygia.

So, yes, the zone is shit, there is nothing to do except killing mobs/rares/a few dailies, the Eye of the Jailer is a pain in the ass (at lvl4, every 2 minutes and a half you get grabbed by a mob, flown for 40 sec into the sky, pacified, and dropped to your death) and limits the amount of Stygia you can farm each day.
But you'll have to go there every fucking day and suck it up if you want your upgrades.

Edit : And I forgot, to add insult to injury, you can't even use ground mounts in the Maw. Except one, which is a reward for finishing every Torgast floor. Oh, and Druids can use travel form in there for some reason, but fuck Druids.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Burns

Free to play weekend started today and will end on Nov 8. If you are planing on playing Shadowlands, this allows you to get UI set up, and push back resubbing till the day of release.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
If you do want to level shit, it's a fantastic time to do it. The anniversary event is going on that gives you an XP/rep boost item and the DMF is also still in town until Saturday night, which you can use to get another 10% XP/rep on top of that.

velk

Trakanon Raider

- "it sucks",

ad nauseam

Malkav pretty much covered that it, but there's no real conflict there. You go to the maw and grind boring and pointless mobs with ever increasing levels of petty annoyances until you get kicked out.

You aren't *required* to do it per se, in the same way that you didn't *have* to grind visions until you went blind, but it's a direct power upgrade sooo.

If sulking about how world pvp has no consequences and how much better things were when you could gank people and fully loot them, the Maw with warmode on could be just your thing though. Their great innovation is having you drop half of your currency on death, so you can gank that guy that just spent 3 hours farming and then corpse camp him until he gets kicked out of the maw for the day and can't get his body back. Fun times.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If sulking about how world pvp has no consequences and how much better things were when you could gank people and fully loot them, the Maw with warmode on could be just your thing though. Their great innovation is having you drop half of your currency on death, so you can gank that guy that just spent 3 hours farming and then corpse camp him until he gets kicked out of the maw for the day and can't get his body back. Fun times.

This kind of interaction, where one person has fun at the expense of another one, is heavily frowned upon by Blizzard, I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the loss on death mechanic.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This kind of interaction, where one person has fun at the expense of another one, is heavily frowned upon by Blizzard, I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the loss on death mechanic.
Well to be fair, you don't have to turn on warmode and then it doesn't happen. They added the thing specifically so while it does sound weird to have it, I don't know if they'll instantly remove it. They probably will nerf it a bit first and then maybe remove it if people keep complaining, but nothing really forces you to take the risk of losing your shit.

The maw shit definitely sounds fucking terrible though, and I doubt they'll bother fixing it until a few patches in, like right before it's phased out for yet another pointless gated upgrade system that'll replace it.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Well to be fair, you don't have to turn on warmode and then it doesn't happen. They added the thing specifically so while it does sound weird to have it, I don't know if they'll instantly remove it. They probably will nerf it a bit first and then maybe remove it if people keep complaining, but nothing really forces you to take the risk of losing your shit.

The maw shit definitely sounds fucking terrible though, and I doubt they'll bother fixing it until a few patches in, like right before it's phased out for yet another pointless gated upgrade system that'll replace it.

What's even more funny is the Blue Post they did after the delay announcement, saying they'll "take this time to revamp the Maw combat and reward systems", so people keep expecting it to change.

The truth, is that said revamp was just adding the things I talked about earlier on the vendor (so adding rewards, including sockets), and the combat revamp was just tuning down the mobs a bit. So yeah, per Blizzard, they revamped the Maw and it'll probably ship as is. Enjoy!

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's only my opinion and I haven't tested it, but I feel The Maw content looks worse than islands.

• 2Solidarity

Burns

It's only my opinion and I haven't tested it, but I feel The Maw content looks worse than islands.

What?!? No, didn't you just read, I get to stealth in and ambush low health Horde until they rage quit, while never gaining stacks of the debuff. So, much better than islands!

• 2Worf

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

It's also trivial to bypass. Just mail all of your currency to an alt safely tucked away, and you're headed to your warmode with coppers on you.

Malkav

French Madman
It's also trivial to bypass. Just mail all of your currency to an alt safely tucked away, and you're headed to your warmode with coppers on you.

We're not talking about gold though, what you lose is your Stygia on death, aka the Maw specific currency.

Burns

We're not talking about gold though, what you lose is your Stygia on death, aka the Maw specific currency.

From the sounds of it, don't you lose half if you die, period? So there is some cost to staying till you get dropped by the Eye of the Jailer debuff?

Malkav

French Madman
From the sounds of it, don't you lose half if you die, period? So there is some cost to staying till you get dropped by the Eye of the Jailer debuff?

From what I read, you can recover it from your corpse though. But yeah, as your main goal in the Maw is to farm Stygia, the last thing you want is to have WM on and get ganked and corpse camped.

Also, it seems the factor that increases the Eye of the Jailer is the amount of Stygia gathered, so it is definitely a hard cap on how much you can farm every day.

• 2Like